Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 08:10 AM

419 posts, read 387,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
.......the water you're drinking is worse than what's in the food, more harmful than the drugs you might be taking and, in fact, may be the reason for some of them you take.

Thanks for posting. I agree. I've been saying this for a few years now but many just shrug it off. It's horrible that much of our drinking water has become contaminated, but I'm not sure how much we can do to clean it up. In addition to PFAS, our drinking water also contains pharmaceuticals which is a pretty scary thought.

One thing we can do to help keep the contamination down on an individual level is install water filters. We have been using an under-counter filter for a few years now at our kitchen sink. I actually double filter our drinking water by pouring the filtered water through an Aquagear pitcher. The Aquagear is reported to filter out flouride and other chemicals. It takes little time and money to do this filtering which gives you great tasting and, hopefully, more healthy water. We have a filter on our shower too, but I'm not sure how successful it is at filtering out the bad stuff. I keep saying we're going to get a whole house filter when we buy our next house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 11:45 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
Thanks for posting. I agree. I've been saying this for a few years now but many just shrug it off. It's horrible that much of our drinking water has become contaminated, but I'm not sure how much we can do to clean it up. In addition to PFAS, our drinking water also contains pharmaceuticals which is a pretty scary thought.

One thing we can do to help keep the contamination down on an individual level is install water filters. We have been using an under-counter filter for a few years now at our kitchen sink. I actually double filter our drinking water by pouring the filtered water through an Aquagear pitcher. The Aquagear is reported to filter out flouride and other chemicals. It takes little time and money to do this filtering which gives you great tasting and, hopefully, more healthy water. We have a filter on our shower too, but I'm not sure how successful it is at filtering out the bad stuff. I keep saying we're going to get a whole house filter when we buy our next house.
And yet there are some members here and there are groups, I'm sure paid by the chemical industries, who sing the praises of fluorides being added to our waters.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:34 PM

559 posts, read 1,395,021 times
Quote:
For instance, anybody here from Michigan or have friends, family there? It's, so far, one of the worst

Michigan is home to nearly 6,600 toxic sites, with about 65 of them designated as Superfund sites -- sites that were polluted decades ago and now are eligible for federal funding for cleanup.

https://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf...an_tell_t.html

I'm not just crying wolf here, I can....so can you....support it all
What should interest some of you the most is the effect of these toxins on the thyroid as well as autism in children
The effect on the thyroid is what prompted me to start buying reverse osmosis water. I have a family member with hypothyroid so I do different things to take preventive measures.

I get a gallon refill of reverse osmosis water for 39¢ at Whole Foods or 40¢ at Walmart. There's also a local health food store near me that has gallon refills for 99¢ if I run out of water before I'll be near one of the other stores.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
The effect on the thyroid is what prompted me to start buying reverse osmosis water. I have a family member with hypothyroid so I do different things to take preventive measures.

I get a gallon refill of reverse osmosis water for 39¢ at Whole Foods or 40¢ at Walmart. There's also a local health food store near me that has gallon refills for 99¢ if I run out of water before I'll be near one of the other stores.
Oh it's true there is so much info we can find on the connection of fluorides and the thyroid. Good lord, it's unbelievable..for decades people consuming all this fluoridated tap water and years of thyroid issues.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:41 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I don't know anybody that drinks tap water anymore, at least not here in Florida. The water always tastes like chlorine to me.

The older I get the less I trust our government to do the right thing by its citizens so I now buy bottled water or use the filtered water from my fridge. Didn't the government officials in Flint, Michigan claim the water was safe? I also don't like the fact that fluoride is added to our water without any regard for whether or not we want it in our water or whether it is, in fact, safe.
Well, if you live in an area affluent enough for officials to care, they'll CARE. ...that's what's sad. Not to say I agree with the OP's link, just saying in general.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:43 PM

587 posts, read 304,925 times
You gotta do it all, Rigorous exercise, clean food and water, and lotsa sleep, sleep is when your body produces hormones, I also add prayer and confession..

Old 08-19-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette0009 View Post
You gotta do it all, Rigorous exercise, clean food and water, and lotsa sleep, sleep is when your body produces hormones, I also add prayer and confession..
I agree with most here but not all.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:55 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,169 times
Quote:
Suppose I should have put in a better 'click bait' title like "Monsanto & the Government are killing you"
Well at least you admit it.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:59 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh it's true there is so much info we can find on the connection of fluorides and the thyroid. Good lord, it's unbelievable..for decades people consuming all this fluoridated tap water and years of thyroid issues.
Yup, it sure is unbelievable - because there is no truth to your Internet rumor.

There is NO connection between the fluoridation of water and thyroid issues. There is, however, a very very STRONG connection between lack of fluoridation and increased number of dental problems and increased severity of dental problems. I live in a LARGE municipality where they (ignorantly) do not fluoridate the city water and I haven't seen this many snaggle-toothed people since I was a kid, and the vast majority of my elders (now deceased) had grown up without the benefits of fluoridated water.

My mother grew up without the benefits of fluoridated water. She had thyroid problems.

I grew up WITH fluoridated water. I have thyroid problems.

The connecting factor there is GENETICS, not whether or not the water was fluoridated.

While we're at it, the reason we got a clue about the benefits of fluoridation is because it is a NATURALLY occurring substance in the water. Places with higher levels of fluoride in the water supply had fewer dental problems. The lower the level of fluoridation, the more dental problems.

OF COURSE there comes a point where fluoride levels are TOO high, but we don't fluoridate our public water supply to anywhere near such levels, if for no other reason than that it would be ridiculously expensive to do so.

Next you'll want all our water to contain no calcium because you think its linked to something else ridiculous. Cancer, maybe.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:52 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I don't know anybody that drinks tap water anymore, at least not here in Florida. The water always tastes like chlorine to me.

The older I get the less I trust our government to do the right thing by its citizens so I now buy bottled water or use the filtered water from my fridge. Didn't the government officials in Flint, Michigan claim the water was safe? I also don't like the fact that fluoride is added to our water without any regard for whether or not we want it in our water or whether it is, in fact, safe.
Lived in SW Florida for 10 years. I not only would not drink the water, but I would not shower in it (gave me hives) without filters, or give it to my pets. You are right it smelled like you were drinking pool water, or showering it. That is even without the fluoride added to it there.

Going back to the 70's and 80's, Mom would not drink NYC tap water. They didn't have all those fancy water filters back then, so she bought bottled water, and gave it to her cat as well. When my kids were little and we visited her, she would tell them to drink the bottled water in the fridge, not the tap water. We lived on LI which didn't put fluoride in their water, so my kids didn't even get it at Grandma's.

Last edited by Jo48; 08-19-2018 at 05:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness