U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 01:25 PM

19,008 posts, read 6,233,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I live in Charlotte NC. We get a yearly mailing on water quality separate from our water bill. Unlike many municipalities, Charlotte doesnít have any lead pipes. Our water has no weird taste or odor. Iíve been drinking it for over 40 years and I drink a LOT of water.
NO lead pipes, wonder what kind they have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 01:37 PM

5,607 posts, read 4,174,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
NO lead pipes, wonder what kind they have.
Ductile iron pipe lined with cement mortar.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:24 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,952,697 times
Quote:
I live in Charlotte NC. We get a yearly mailing on water quality separate from our water bill. Unlike many municipalities, Charlotte doesn’t have any lead pipes. Our water has no weird taste or odor. I’ve been drinking it for over 40 years and I drink a LOT of water.
I'm sure Charlotte's water is way better than ours. We get our water from a cesspool which is the Rio Grande River, one of the most polluted in the country, so I now understand that it tastes good in comparison.

Maybe 40 years ago the quality was very good. Taste is subjective however.

In this day and age we can't take stuff like this for granted though.

With the help from google (of course), I found some articles

This one states that 8 contaminants were detected above safe guidelines. All of them known to cause cancer.
Charlotte Water

Here's a couple more I quickly found.
Advocates say Charlotte’s water could make you sick. It’s safe and reliable, city says.
Concerns over drinking water in Charlotte

More from google https://www.google.com/search?source....0.BGh4jbTftKA

Old 08-20-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I'm sure Charlotte's water is way better than ours. We get our water from a cesspool which is the Rio Grande River, one of the most polluted in the country, so I now understand that it tastes good in comparison.

Maybe 40 years ago the quality was very good. Taste is subjective however.

In this day and age we can't take stuff like this for granted though.

With the help from google (of course), I found some articles

This one states that 8 contaminants were detected above safe guidelines. All of them known to cause cancer.
Charlotte Water

Here's a couple more I quickly found.
Advocates say Charlotteís water could make you sick. Itís safe and reliable, city says.
Concerns over drinking water in Charlotte

More from google https://www.google.com/search?source....0.BGh4jbTftKA
Meh. There will always be the sky is falling crowd. Look at all the fools wringing their hands over gluten when Celiac disease effects very few. Independent analysis shows the water here meets or the exceeds all safety standards. Iím not going to waste my money or pollute the environment with plastic bottles when what comes out of my tap is safe.

Hereís an article on why bottled water is, in many cases, worse than municipal tap water:

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/bot...you-to-know/4/

From the article:

ďThink purity standards for bottled water are more stringent than those for tap water? Not so, says Dr. Gleick. Unlike tap water, which is regulated by the EPA, bottled water is regulated by the FDA - and, in addition to allowing for less frequent quality testing, the FDA doesn't monitor some contaminants that may be in bottled water. What's more, the FDA doesn't insist that bottlers provide water quality reports to consumers.
"Our standards for protecting both tap water and bottled water ought to be stricter," says Dr. Gleick. "But tap water is better regulated."

Old 08-20-2018, 02:49 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,952,697 times
Quote:
Meh. There will always be the sky is falling crowd. Look at all the fools wringing their hands over gluten when Celiac disease effects very few. Independent analysis shows the water here meets or the exceeds all safety standards. Iím not going to waste my money or pollute the environment with plastic bottles when what comes out of my tap is safe.

Hereís an article on why bottled water is, in many cases, worse than municipal tap water:

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/bot...you-to-know/4/

From the article:

ďThink purity standards for bottled water are more stringent than those for tap water? Not so, says Dr. Gleick. Unlike tap water, which is regulated by the EPA, bottled water is regulated by the FDA - and, in addition to allowing for less frequent quality testing, the FDA doesn't monitor some contaminants that may be in bottled water. What's more, the FDA doesn't insist that bottlers provide water quality reports to consumers.
"Our standards for protecting both tap water and bottled water ought to be stricter," says Dr. Gleick. "But tap water is better regulated."
Bottled water is not perfect. Much of it comes from municipal sources. They don't tell you that and try to hide it. Over 80% of the bottled water has been found to contain bits of plastic from the lids. The bottled water you talk about polluting the environment is another "Meh" as you describe. If you dispose of the empty bottles properly and have them recycled, then no pollution. We do the same with paper, cardboard, aluminum etc. I don't buy the small bottles, I buy it in 5 gallon reusable containers which I re-fill at a kiosk. I am tired of hassling with that and am about to get my own RO system. No pollution at all. But now you know that your tap water is not great. What you do obviously is up to you.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:49 PM

4,862 posts, read 5,931,100 times
Quote:
Meh. There will always be the sky is falling crowd. Look at all the fools wringing their hands over gluten when Celiac disease effects very few. Independent analysis shows the water here meets or the exceeds all safety standards. I’m not going to waste my money or pollute the environment with plastic bottles when what comes out of my tap is safe.
I think the harm from all the plastic water bottles is more worrisome than some peoples frightened attitudes about tap water. Sure, in some areas the tap water is not in the best shape and people need to be cautious. So instead of polluting the planet with all the single use bottles why not have a water service that has reusable jugs in a dispenser.
I am fortunate that where I live the tap water has always been fine. I see foolish people buying cases of water bottles and it makes me want to scream. We are such a selfish, polluting society where individual convenience is more important than the planet we live on.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I think the harm from all the plastic water bottles is more worrisome than some peoples frightened attitudes about tap water. Sure, in some areas the tap water is not in the best shape and people need to be cautious. So instead of polluting the planet with all the single use bottles why not have a water service that has reusable jugs in a dispenser.
I am fortunate that where I live the tap water has always been fine. I see foolish people buying cases of water bottles and it makes me want to scream. We are such a selfish, polluting society where individual convenience is more important than the planet we live on.
Yep. Sure some are responsible and recycle, but they are the minority. Not to mention that some cities who pick up recycling end up disposing of it in landfills not at recycling plants. Especially since China has quit taking our trash.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/29/c...ic-papers.html

Those with questionable municipal water could simply install filters (whole house or faucet based) instead of adding more plastics to the planet. But, as you said, convenience tends to rule.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:01 PM

28,791 posts, read 2,369,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
Thanks for posting. I agree. I've been saying this for a few years now but many just shrug it off. It's horrible that much of our drinking water has become contaminated, but I'm not sure how much we can do to clean it up. In addition to PFAS, our drinking water also contains pharmaceuticals which is a pretty scary thought.

One thing we can do to help keep the contamination down on an individual level is install water filters. We have been using an under-counter filter for a few years now at our kitchen sink. I actually double filter our drinking water by pouring the filtered water through an Aquagear pitcher. The Aquagear is reported to filter out flouride and other chemicals. It takes little time and money to do this filtering which gives you great tasting and, hopefully, more healthy water. We have a filter on our shower too, but I'm not sure how successful it is at filtering out the bad stuff. I keep saying we're going to get a whole house filter when we buy our next house.
Thanks for the mention of the Aquagear pitcher. I'll admit I haven't researched pitcher filters in a few years and still use a PUR filtering pitcher. i always wanted one that filters out the fluoride but did not know it existed. Time for me to go shopping.

It is two adults in our house and we both drink a good amount of water. I wonder how long one filter will last. For example: does one of the Aquagear filters last longer than a PUR filter. Time for me to do some research.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Thanks for the mention of the Aquagear pitcher. I'll admit I haven't researched pitcher filters in a few years and still use a PUR filtering pitcher. i always wanted one that filters out the fluoride but did not know it existed. Time for me to go shopping.

It is two adults in our house and we both drink a good amount of water. I wonder how long one filter will last. For example: does one of the Aquagear filters last longer than a PUR filter. Time for me to do some research.
Not familiar with that brand, but Brita makes a filtered water bottle. I have one in my car so I can refill from any water fountain/faucet when Iím traveling. Iíve even taken it overseas.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:36 PM

19,008 posts, read 6,233,192 times
Brita and PUR does not filter out fluorides, so for those who want to load up on fluoride go to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness