U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-18-2018, 09:09 AM
 
5,405 posts, read 5,655,220 times
Reputation: 2390

Advertisements

How much blood do humans have? Like a ratio of blood liters to human weight.

How much blood should a human have? Do taller people have more blood?

How does amount of blood affect your body in terms of endurance/stamina/conditioning or health? If a tall person has same amount as short person, wont that make it harder for taller person to deliver nutrients or take away toxins from body parts as the blood must travel further?

Does your body always has enough blood/fluid to fill every corner of veins, arteries and capillaries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-18-2018, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
17,676 posts, read 3,576,255 times
Reputation: 22802
8 pints, plus...depending on body size.

Yes, large men will have more blood than small woman etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2018, 10:05 AM
 
5,405 posts, read 5,655,220 times
Reputation: 2390
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
8 pints, plus...depending on body size.

Yes, large men will have more blood than small woman etc.
Can you increase the amount of blood you have? is there any benefits too it? Will it also increase blood pressure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2018, 11:02 AM
 
4,627 posts, read 10,509,804 times
Reputation: 10324
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Can you increase the amount of blood you have? is there any benefits too it? Will it also increase blood pressure?
Have you ever heard of blood doping??

Elite cyclists have been (illegally) using EPO for years to increase the percentage of red blood cells with the thought that the increased O2 carrying capacity would increase V02max which is directly related to endurance performance.

EPO was Lance Armstrong's drug of choice...

Recent data suggests that EPO which is very effective in raising RBC percentage may not really do much for performance however...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2018, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, Va
5,120 posts, read 12,731,976 times
Reputation: 7221
Your body, assuming you're healthy, will have the proper amount of blood. How could you increase it? It's like trying to "overfill" a glass. There is only so much space for it!

If you are injured and it causes bleeding, then your body will go to work making more, unless you must be transfused and given blood. A blood donor can give a pint of blood, without ill effects. You can only do that every 8 weeks.... If you lose too much blood, you will die, without getting it replaced...your blood carries oxygen to your organs, and without oxygen, your organs will stop working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2018, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Vallejo
13,443 posts, read 15,059,549 times
Reputation: 11926
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Have you ever heard of blood doping??

Elite cyclists have been (illegally) using EPO for years to increase the percentage of red blood cells with the thought that the increased O2 carrying capacity would increase V02max which is directly related to endurance performance.

EPO was Lance Armstrong's drug of choice...

Recent data suggests that EPO which is very effective in raising RBC percentage may not really do much for performance however...
More recent studies have more shown that there's a maximum hematocrit beyond which there's no benefit. That is more RBC results in higher viscosity so while the O2 per volume of blood is higher, the blood circulates more slowly so V02Max doesn't improve.

One of the things, however, that happens over prolonged intense training or certainly over a three-week race is hematocrit levels naturally fall quite a bit as the race progresses. Simply taking two groups of amateurs and giving one group an eight-week EPO course and then other group not and then seeing how they do on a one-day effort (which is what the 2017 study did, and the only human study I'm aware of), doesn't really look at that question.

Even back when the assumption was more hematocrit = higher V02Max, which there's more recent data that shoes it doesn't actually work that way, much of the reason cyclists were using EPO was for the recovery aspects so they could train harder for longer and not have the drop off in performance as longer, multi-week races progressed. Realistically, they probably already knew that anyway. They could just spike one of their riders hematocrits and go stick them on a trainer and see how many watts they could put out over a 60 minute effort and see that higher hematocrit from EPO did or didn't result in a higher number. They wouldn't do that today but pre '97 it was pretty much wild west. EPO was banned, sure, but that didn't mean the teams weren't running the doping programs overtly. They just didn't talk about it outside the team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2018, 12:29 PM
 
4,627 posts, read 10,509,804 times
Reputation: 10324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
More recent studies have more shown that there's a maximum hematocrit beyond which there's no benefit. That is more RBC results in higher viscosity so while the O2 per volume of blood is higher, the blood circulates more slowly so V02Max doesn't improve.

One of the things, however, that happens over prolonged intense training or certainly over a three-week race is hematocrit levels naturally fall quite a bit as the race progresses. Simply taking two groups of amateurs and giving one group an eight-week EPO course and then other group not and then seeing how they do on a one-day effort (which is what the 2017 study did, and the only human study I'm aware of), doesn't really look at that question.

Even back when the assumption was more hematocrit = higher V02Max, which there's more recent data that shoes it doesn't actually work that way, much of the reason cyclists were using EPO was for the recovery aspects so they could train harder for longer and not have the drop off in performance as longer, multi-week races progressed. Realistically, they probably already knew that anyway. They could just spike one of their riders hematocrits and go stick them on a trainer and see how many watts they could put out over a 60 minute effort and see that higher hematocrit from EPO did or didn't result in a higher number. They wouldn't do that today but pre '97 it was pretty much wild west. EPO was banned, sure, but that didn't mean the teams weren't running the doping programs overtly. They just didn't talk about it outside the team.
Hey great info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top