Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 05:41 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about how often your doctor requires you to make an office or telehealth visit in order to have her re-write a prescription re-fill?

The reason I'm asking is that my Doc seems to go overboard and I'm wondering if this is customary...

I'm on long-term blood pressure meds with no issues/side effects and she wants me to come on or do tele-health visits every 3 months...

Overboard or customary--what do you think??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 05:51 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
It's pretty customary now. I think they do it to score a quick office visit fee.

Old 02-16-2021, 06:03 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
It's pretty customary now. I think they do it to score a quick office visit fee.
Those were my exact thoughts but I didn't want to go there if I was being unkind...

Old 02-16-2021, 06:13 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
Unkind is telling a patient they should go to urgent care when the doctor can't fit you in for a month but also won't authorize a refill in the interim.

Old 02-16-2021, 06:22 PM

5,992 posts, read 3,731,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I'm curious about how often your doctor requires you to make an office or telehealth visit in order to have her re-write a prescription re-fill?

The reason I'm asking is that my Doc seems to go overboard and I'm wondering if this is customary...

I'm on long-term blood pressure meds with no issues/side effects and she wants me to come on or do tele-health visits every 3 months...

The doctor doesn't get to bill your insurance company (or Medicare) if they just phone in a re-fill order for your prescription, but if you come into the office, then they get to bill for an office visit. And, who knows, they might even find something else to bill for while you're there. Any other questions you'd like answered?

You might try asking the doctor the next time she/he writes a prescription for you to put down that it can be refilled X times without requiring a new prescription. That could save you a few extra visits to the doctor's office each year.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:09 PM

1,500 posts, read 886,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
The doctor doesn't get to bill your insurance company (or Medicare) if they just phone in a re-fill order for your prescription, but if you come into the office, then they get to bill for an office visit. And, who knows, they might even find something else to bill for while you're there. Any other questions you'd like answered?

You might try asking the doctor the next time she/he writes a prescription for you to put down that it can be refilled X times without requiring a new prescription. That could save you a few extra visits to the doctor's office each year.
We request refills easily by sending email. They do require twice a year office visits...get 6 months worth at a time

No way I would tolerate office visit just to get refill

Old 02-16-2021, 10:10 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:

It varies. Our PCP is once a year for non controlled meds and every 3 months (per Ohio State Board recommendations)

OP, how many refills does your doc give? How often does your doc want you to come in? Are the meds controlled (sleep, pain, some meds for nerves) or not

Old 02-16-2021, 11:07 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
My physician requires a yearly visit (can be tele during the pandemic) as a condition of having routine prescriptions reauthorized. These are the meds I've been taking for a longer period and can be monitored through routine testing or lab work. For meds that can have rapid varying degree of effectiveness or side effects depending on the person or even time or physical changes, it's every 4 months usually just to review the medications effectiveness or any issues related t it. As with routine meds, with regular self test results being provided and lab works, this can also be done tele. Now way my doc wants a face-to-face just to reauthorize routine prescriptions.

Old 02-17-2021, 12:15 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:

Being on medication for hypertension (I am) should be carefully monitored. Do telehealth if you have that option and spread out the office visits less frequently.

Old 02-17-2021, 05:07 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Generally once a year here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness