U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 03:48 PM

4,800 posts, read 1,550,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Sounds great...but those are all the most ineffective methods as well as requiring the most forethought, self-control, and attention to detail - and guys hate condoms and fight them at every turn.

So thanks for solving that problem for the world.
If a man's choice is no sex or wear a condom ... which will he choose?

And if he walks away if faced with the choice? He ain't worth the price of the condom. The woman should consider herself lucky to be free of him.

Stick to your guns, ladies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 05:00 PM

2,626 posts, read 1,119,381 times
Which leads to the question: if guys already have kids, or know they don't want any, why the aversion to a vasectomy?

I got my tubes tied and what a relief. Too bad IT didn't stop Aunt Flow, though.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:28 PM

3,131 posts, read 1,225,527 times
I've always thought it would be great to have locks installed on every kid's babymaker just at puberty. I picture them nestled in bellybuttons. It wouldn't prevent sex or stds, just pregnancy. You don't get the key to unlock it until you've passed parenting classes. And both partners must be unlocked to make a baby.

Currently just a fantasy, but I bet it would be possible in the next decade or so, if you consider chemical locks and keys instead of literal metal ones.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:30 PM

3,052 posts, read 1,216,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Which leads to the question: if guys already have kids, or know they don't want any, why the aversion to a vasectomy?

I got my tubes tied and what a relief. Too bad IT didn't stop Aunt Flow, though.
If you are younger and don’t have kids, it can be hard to convince a doctor to do it. I have a friend who got a vasectomy when he didn’t have kids, but he said it was really difficult to get a doctor to do it. He was married (or at least in a stable, long-term relationship) at the time and they had agreed they weren’t having kids. Doctors kept telling him they’d change their minds. He has a chronic health condition and I think she also has health issues, so they just weren’t up to having children.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:36 PM

7,115 posts, read 2,219,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Abstinence is 100% guaranteed if your not trying to have a child.
Attempts at abstinence are the least successful of all birth-control methods, because very few people stick to it 100% of the time. The so-called "Rhythm Method" runs a close second in ineffectiveness. If a woman tells herself she doesn't need any other method of birth-control method, because she practices abstinence, she will be unprotected and vulnerable, when her resistance is unexpectedly overcome. Better to practice it and not need it, than the reverse.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:34 PM

10,865 posts, read 18,923,477 times
I had an IUD to try to control my heavy periods (tubes were already tied). The insertion was painful. My doctor and I were surprised by how much pain I had, considering the same doctor had been doing endometrial biopsies on me every three months for more than a year, and those didn't hurt. The IUD was a whole different level of pain, and then my husband kept getting cut on the strings. I was going to go back in and have the strings trimmed, but the IUD came out on its own. I was really glad I wasn't using it for birth control.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:08 AM

918 posts, read 189,695 times
How far will this nation fall in basic intelligence that we still require family planning PSAs?

This has been around since Roe v. Wade. Yet we continue to make the same devastating reproductive mistakes almost 50 years later.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:11 AM

918 posts, read 189,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What's the purpose of this thread? Is it a passive aggressive attempt to disparage those with unplanned pregnancies and/or communities you think shouldn't procreate?

Everyone knows how to get a condom. A three pack is less than a #5 value meal at McDs.
Yet unplanned pregnancies still persist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Abstinence is 100% guaranteed if your not trying to have a child.
This is akin to expecting a mole not to dig holes or a shark not to swim.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:56 AM

16,258 posts, read 7,125,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
How far will this nation fall in basic intelligence that we still require family planning PSAs?

This has been around since Roe v. Wade. Yet we continue to make the same devastating reproductive mistakes almost 50 years later.
I think the overwhelming experience of humanity is that sexual desire overcomes intelligence!

More directly to your point, if the most effective forms of birth control were cheaper and easier to get, it would help. Also, effective sex education for kids is known to help.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:13 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,723,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

I am probably the wrong person to answer this, but from my conversations with different guys, some seem to think that it is going to diminish their manhood somehow. That is just one possibility. I could have sworn I read somewhere that now a guy can get his vas deferens "clipped" and that the clips can be removed should he want to have kids in the future. Is that true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or