U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 02:14 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,651,620 times

Advertisements

Condoms alone are only 85-88% effective.

But:

Condoms + Fertility Awareness = 99.96% effective with perfect use - 96.6% effective with typical use
Condoms + Withdrawal = 99.92% effective with perfect use - 96.2% effective with typical use

Condoms are free at many locations across the country.

Find Condom Locations - One Community Health Condom Finder
Find Condom Locations - One Community Health Condom Finder

Free condoms can also be found:

At your doctor's office
At your local health department
At your college health center
At your college dorm
At bars, pubs, and nightclubs

Research regional resources online:

Your state might have some free condom resources available to you if you just Google! Here are just a few examples:

Louisiana:
lesko.com/free-condom.php

Mississippi:
https://www.ascms.net/safety-deliver...e-condoms.html

Alabama:
To control STDs, the Alabama Department of Public Health 67 County Health Departments operate free, confidential STD clinics statewide. Free testing and treatment is provided for chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis and HIV. Free condoms available.
https://npin.cdc.gov/organization/al...ublic-health-9

NYC: Enter your location to findnyccondoms.com for a list of health clinics and bars where you can find free condoms.

California: Teensource.org has a map of places to get free condoms. The list is also sorted into categories so if you're looking for a place that also provides medical services or trying to see if your school offers free condoms, you can see it all at a glance.

Wyoming: Go to Knowyo.org and you can get a pack of 10 condoms in an unmarked envelope by mail.

Ohio: The Ohio HIV/STI program will mail free condoms (in discreet packaging) to any resident if they fill out this form.

Washington DC: Text 'DCWRAP' to 61827 or go to rubberrevolutiondc.com

Milwaukee: www.414allmke.org

Los Angeles County: lacondom.com (will also mail them)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 02:27 PM

3,962 posts, read 1,590,532 times
Welp, you'd think.

It's like the friend of mine who, a few years back, came over to the house depressed that his wife was pregnant for the fifth time. They had started out just wanting two, and their other three were unplanned. So this was the third conversation we had had on the subject.

But the guy was just too much of a nitwit to go get a vasectomy. Hey, even the snip doesn't guarantee you're safe. But it reduced the odds dramatically.

It's not free. But compared to how much babies cost, it's a helluva lot cheaper.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:37 PM

8,224 posts, read 6,549,560 times
If you have not one but three unplanned pregnancies there is more than just one nitwit in that relationship.

Yikes.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:40 PM

3,962 posts, read 1,590,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
If you have not one but three unplanned pregnancies there is more than just one nitwit in that relationship.

Yikes.

Yep. His wife had emotional problems of her own. She was a depressive who was always migrating from one church to another in hopes that one of them would have the magic answers for her.

After our third came along, I marched my happy ass into the urologist PDQ. I was literally making the appointment the day after we brought the kid home from the hospital.

This guy just makes idiotic choices in his life. For a while, I almost had to avoid him because I just couldn't deal with whatever fresh hell he had newly stirred up in his life. Just an ongoing litany of pointless and stupid actions on his part.

I've learned that intelligence and wisdom are two completely different things.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:06 PM

13,471 posts, read 11,020,697 times
Lack of access to condoms/BC is rarely the case in unplanned pregnancies, imo.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:09 PM

72,659 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Let's not forget Planned Parenthood as a source of free BC of all kinds, free counseling on bc choices, free MD or nurse services for application of BC methods that require that, and free reproductive health checkups, including STD testing. They're still alive and kicking, with multiple offices in many states.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-24-2018 at 03:34 PM..

Old 08-24-2018, 03:20 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,719,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Let's not forget Planned Parenthood as a source of free BC of all kinds, free counseling on bc choices, free MD or nurse services for application of BC methods that require that, and free reproductive health checkups. They're still alive and kicking, with multiple offices in many states.
I would love to see more people talk advantage of the IUD, specifically. I have one and I love it. Best birthday present I ever gave myself. I have a gyno that did not give me any crap about not wanting kids. I chose the IUD because it is inserted in one office visit, it lasts for 5-12 years depending on the type you get, and it is reversible. It also practically pays for itself because I no longer have to buy tampons.

Also, for those women with controlling partners, IUDs and implants can't be tampered with, or it would be very hard to do so. Men can flush pills and poke holes in condoms too.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:34 PM

72,659 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
I would love to see more people talk advantage of the IUD, specifically. I have one and I love it. Best birthday present I ever gave myself. I have a gyno that did not give me any crap about not wanting kids. I chose the IUD because it is inserted in one office visit, it lasts for 5-12 years depending on the type you get, and it is reversible. It also practically pays for itself because I no longer have to buy tampons.

Also, for those women with controlling partners, IUDs and implants can't be tampered with, or it would be very hard to do so. Men can flush pills and poke holes in condoms too.
Funny you should mention IUD's. I was going to post to Minidriver, that the guy in a marriage getting snipped isn't the only high-reliability method of bc. IUD's are more reliable than oral contraceptives. Heck, after 3 unplanned pregnancies, Mini could suggest both methods: him getting snipped and wife getting an IUD. Great post, swgirl!

Old 08-24-2018, 04:10 PM

8,441 posts, read 4,653,285 times
The NYC free condoms program has been around for quite some time now and has been quite well received. I believe it was the first program of its kind. I actually have a few...

They are actually rebranded lifestyles condoms.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:36 PM

3,027 posts, read 1,206,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post

A lot of women are really afraid of the insertion pain. I have talked to some women about it and they just wonít consider it because theyíve heard the insertion is bad. Iím not going to lie and say it isnít bad, but itís like an afternoon and then overall itís not really much of a problem after that. I had so many symptoms before and the IUD helped A LOT, so it was worth it to me to have an afternoon of pain to reduce the symptoms. I got it after the ACA kicked in and it was just the cost of the office visit. Iím worried that the benefit might go away soon so I will get my next one after my next appointment so I donít have to pay the outrageous cost for it. I had originally put it off due to the expense, but there was no excuse for me once the ACA kicked in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or