U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2018, 05:51 PM

13,355 posts, read 7,121,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Jeez, Louise! Is there some rule that one must respond to everything? I've been out all day at a botanic garden and having lunch with my family with just my phone to post on while in the car. I'm back at a computer now.

^^But, but, but I thought you didn't feel anything when a polyp was removed! So which is it, you feel it, or you don't? Also, I would consider removal of a polyp "surgery".

What I think is funny is the OP is simply hot air! Several people, including some Europeans have posted links showing that anesthesia/sedation is used in most countries in Europe, dare I say all countries that a link is posted for, and the same type of anesthesia is used in France as in the US. There is also a post from a woman in Scotland whose husband is afraid to get a colonoscipy with her asking why not "knock them out"? That may be why more Americans actually get colonoscopies than in some of these mythical European countries, and why we have better survival rates from colon cancer. But hey, you feel it when they remove a polyp, yet you don't!
No - you don't feel pain - you may feel pressure...not the same. You can call a polyp removal surgery but it's obviously not the same in terms of pain if all you feel is pressure - if you were having an open hysterectomy would you want a general or heavy sedation...yeah. I guess wart removal is surgery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 08:19 PM

953 posts, read 605,385 times
My urologist is a ****ing prude. My god, man, yes, you are actually going to have to actually LOOK, TOUCH, and EXAMINE my penis, and also my urine and semen. That's what a urologist does.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:08 PM

84,961 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
No - you don't feel pain - you may feel pressure...not the same. You can call a polyp removal surgery but it's obviously not the same in terms of pain if all you feel is pressure - if you were having an open hysterectomy would you want a general or heavy sedation...yeah. I guess wart removal is surgery?
Yes, wart removal is considered surgery.
https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-...eatments/warts

Removing intestinal polyps is far more invasive.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:51 PM

1,044 posts, read 825,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by good_deal_maker View Post
The same one can say about the territory of the former USSR. The world is globalized and the doctors are similar everything. They are taught by professors who visit the same symposiums and read the same magazines.
Yes, same education (sort of) but different views

Old 08-28-2018, 10:58 PM

13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Wow!!!! This kind of innovation would really cut down on medical profiteering in the U.S.
Alas, they were wasteful by the method of the disposal of the amputated toes. They could take a page out of the U.S. doctor's handbook, who used his patient's amputated foot as bait in his crab trap.

https://planetc1.com/patients-amputa...-as-crab-bait/

Old 08-28-2018, 10:59 PM

1,044 posts, read 825,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

Whaaa???

( My dentist gives me triple shot to keep me in the chair - he knows better. )
I also want anasthesia, since the past 20 years i always ask for it. but been laughed at by some cranky dentists

I can understand why people don't want anasthesia though

When I see American tv shows like funniest home videos, they always show people that come from the dentist and are completely stoned / out of this world / talking funny etc I think that's a litte bit too much of the good what do they give those people?? We just get a shot that kind of numbs a tiny part of the mouth.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:33 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 4 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,488,669 times
Quote:
A short excerpt:
"Overall, we found a link between use of anesthesia services (indicating deep sedation) and a 13 percent higher risk of any complication within 30 days: specifically, higher risk of perforation, bleeding, abdominal pain, complications due to anesthesia, and stroke. The risk of puncturing the wall of the colon was higher by 26 percent with anesthesia services only in those patients who had at least one polyp removed. This suggests one possible explanation: When patients are awake, they can tell the doctor that they feel undue pressure on the wall of the colon, thus preventing perforation; and when they are unconscious, they canít give any feedback to their doctor."
Hmm...I'll have to check into that. Neither my husband or I had any polyps. Maybe we don't need to have the anesthesia. Although I'm not sure if my doctor would do that. They make more money doing it in a hospital as a surgical procedure

Discomfort I can handle

Old 08-29-2018, 04:45 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,533,242 times
Quote:
Sorry...I just couldn't wait:

https://www.kpwashingtonresearch.org...ia-colonoscopy

A short excerpt:
"Overall, we found a link between use of anesthesia services (indicating deep sedation) and a 13 percent higher risk of any complication within 30 days: specifically, higher risk of perforation, bleeding, abdominal pain, complications due to anesthesia, and stroke. The risk of puncturing the wall of the colon was higher by 26 percent with anesthesia services only in those patients who had at least one polyp removed. This suggests one possible explanation: When patients are awake, they can tell the doctor that they feel undue pressure on the wall of the colon, thus preventing perforation; and when they are unconscious, they canít give any feedback to their doctor."
A possible argument against that is that a sedated patient regardless of the degree, is going be he'll much less likely to startle or wiggle around which could cause injury or perforation.
I'd bet most doctors performing the procedure would rather have a sedated patient so he knows he won't move suddenly

Old 08-29-2018, 05:17 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 4 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,488,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'd bet most doctors performing the procedure would rather have a sedated patient so he knows he won't move suddenly

Oh absolutely a doctor would prefer that as would a dentist

Old 08-29-2018, 06:25 AM

40,888 posts, read 32,658,014 times
Quote:
Opinions are interesting....keep thinking!
There is some evidence that when a patient is unsedated doctors take more time and there is a lower rate of bowel perforations rather than going at a faster rate when sedated since the patient certainly won't do any complaining!

I posted a source that stated stats for having to redo a colonoscopy because the first one was unclear, complications, rates of colorectal cancer, etc, and the US has better success rates than France or Germany or the UK (not every single European country was included in this study). Oh and the other country included was Japan and the US rates were also better than those of Japan, though I think that Japan was the closest to the US in terms of good outcomes. I'm not going to look it back up but the source is in the first post I made on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or