Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2018, 07:55 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Advertisements

I find nothing noble about enduring pain, and at 51 I have more than enough character.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 02:16 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
For example, in Europe when getting a colonoscopy they don't knock you out, hell you don't even wear a gown, you do most everything without sedation and fully nude everywhere else. Only Americans are wimps and prudes about these kinds of things.
Wimps and prudes? First of all there’s usually no good medical reason for a colonoscopy - like pelvic exams a disgusting and unnecessary procedure 95% of the time - so the correct answer is no, you can’t violate me. Second, it’s called modesty and self-respect. Don’t let people poke or prod you unless the research indicates that makes sense, NOT your doctor! I trust valid medical research not one or even two doctors.

If anything Americans consent to and ask for waaaaay too many procedures they don’t need and yet put no work into just living a healthy lifestyle.

Last edited by JonathanLB; 08-30-2018 at 02:40 AM..

Old 08-30-2018, 05:09 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Wimps and prudes? First of all there’s usually no good medical reason for a colonoscopy - like pelvic exams a disgusting and unnecessary procedure 95% of the time - so the correct answer is no, you can’t violate me. Second, it’s called modesty and self-respect. Don’t let people poke or prod you unless the research indicates that makes sense, NOT your doctor! I trust valid medical research not one or even two doctors.

If anything Americans consent to and ask for waaaaay too many procedures they don’t need and yet put no work into just living a healthy lifestyle.
Colonoscopies and pelvic exams are "not needed 95% of the time"

Yet you trust "valid medical research"????

Clearly you don't trust valid medical research or you wouldn't have made the first ridiculous statement....

Old 08-30-2018, 05:28 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Truth be told, I think a lot of people are wimpy about a lot of stuff...it's not Americans against the "Europeans". I have heard very little in this thread to make me change my mind. We look down on drug users so much but by god I want to be zonked out when I get a wart removed and give me 30 vicodin for afterwards.

Show where I said the Europeans don't get sedation - but - their percentages are far lower... Now, their percentages are rising but the percentage in the U.S. is falling. And the percentages vary greatly from state to state and hospital to hospital. I think that attitude that it's crazy to have an unsedated colonoscopy is...frankly, crazy. If it was crazy then no one would do it...but they do - as I said - several IN THIS VERY THREAD have admitted to it!

What do you say about it? What's your deal?!
As one of the people who has colonoscopies w/o sedation, the 1st time was a leap of faith as I didn't know if it would hurt or not. I did know that sedation makes me ill and so trying it w/o sedation had definite upside potential for me. In my case there wasn't any pain involved and so it was a definite win for me.

I should note that whenever I have had any procedures w/o sedation, the compromise I make with the doctor is that they can insert an IV before we start just in case I change my mind and want to or need to be sedated.

I will also note that when told "sedation is required" and I respond "OK, I'll get it done over at ....... instead", then suddenly sedation is not an absolute requirement. Hospital operations are first and foremost about the money, hence the quick backtracking on mandatory sedation.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:29 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
\ like pelvic exams a disgusting

Wow I just can't get past that remark. You're girlfriend must love you. The human body is a fantastic and complicated machine. It is not disgusting.

As for exams it is just an exam of your body. There is nothing wrong with the human body. You may have preferences but we all have one...and guess what it's not a secret and not something that hasn't been seen before.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Here's my take on enduring pain. I already know I can take a lot of pain. But I don't feel like I have to prove that every time I get a procedure done. If anything is available to take for any pain, I'll take it. I'm sure there will be many other times when I won't be able to take anything for pain and I'll save my "See how tough I am!" for those times.
Amen to this. Heck, when I go get my teeth cleaned, I always have the option (at no cost) to get "happy gas" and I always tell them, "Absolutely! I went to high school in the 1970s - and you are asking me if I want FREE mind altering substances?"

Just kidding - I've never been much into the mind altering substances but honestly, I know I "can" take the discomfort, but why put myself through unnecessary stress? I don't have anything to prove to anyone.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 08-30-2018 at 08:46 AM..

Old 08-30-2018, 10:07 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I'm a horrible wimp. I won't even go to get testing done because I'm too scared of the results. I can handle procedures, I cannot handle the fear of the results!
Unfortunately they don't offer sedation or anesthesia to hear the news of test results. A chair, maybe, and some Kleenex, depending on the nature of the results, but no sedation.

J/K.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Amen to this. Heck, when I go get my teeth cleaned, I always have the option (at no cost) to get "happy gas" and I always tell them, "Absolutely! I went to high school in the 1970s - and you are asking me if I want FREE mind altering substances?"

Just kidding - I've never been much into the mind altering substances but honestly, I know I "can" take the discomfort, but why put myself through unnecessary stress? I don't have anything to prove to anyone.
Well, I'm with you, Kathryn. But I don't think any dentist I've ever gone to used "happy gas", at least they never offered it to me.
I never asked, either, though there was an extraction where I think I could maybe have used it.

I don't think I've ever heard of nitrous oxide for cleanings, though. Learn something new every day.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:

In your humble opinion, anyway.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:05 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
When I was ten years old I was diagnosed with a severe scoliosis (spinal curvature); the treatment involved major surgery and eight weeks confined in a body cast from the top of my head to my knees. The lack of mobility affects the digestive process, so I got plenty of enemas and other rectal procedures, most of them from young male nurses who were as put off by the process as I was.

Fortunately, the surgeon in charge recognized the problem after a few days, and turned the procedures over to mature female nurses who let me participate and gain some measure of a feeling of control; that removed much of the anxiety and I required fewer procedures.

Another part of the experience I dreaded was that IV's were administered through the wrist, instead of the arm; these were the single most painful part of the entire ordeal which I still remember.

Point Being: Whenever I require new tests (such as my first EMG last winter) I make it a point to recount my previous experience. I've had three colonoscopies. all without sedation, and I make sure that all my IV's are administered through the forearm (where, I'm told, I have a very healthy set of veins.)

It's the anticipation, rather than the procedure itself, that makes over-sheltered Americans skittish about these matters; that, and media who tend to over-dramatize everything to sell to their over-sheltered, predominately-young and disproportionately-female audience, and a segment of overly-gushy hospital staff (usually on the front lines and not involved with the task itself) who tend to treat all patients like children.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-30-2018 at 11:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness