U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-26-2018, 09:37 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,107 posts, read 39,170,046 times
Reputation: 40515

Advertisements

I don't know but I'm kinda glad I was mostly out when I had my stents installed last year. I'm also grateful that I got local anesthesia for my prostate biopsies (although the last one took so long the local was wearing off for the last 5 or 6 cores).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-26-2018, 10:02 AM
 
2,215 posts, read 754,367 times
Reputation: 3734
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
A lot of countries are just as free as we are without spending hundreds of billions on weapons that can`t be used and yes hiding behind guns and walls is cowardly. What needs to be explained? This is off topic so I`m done here.
If it's so OT why did you bring up such a derogatory remark, and then run away saying it was OT. Talk about being a wimp, lol.

P.S. The original post had two topics 1) Americans are wimps 2) the medical procedures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2018, 10:05 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,151 posts, read 6,332,122 times
Reputation: 12709
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't know but I'm kinda glad I was mostly out when I had my stents installed last year. I'm also grateful that I got local anesthesia for my prostate biopsies (although the last one took so long the local was wearing off for the last 5 or 6 cores).
I'm with you. I'll take any anesthesia they're willing to give me for invasive medical procedures. And I really don't care what they do in Europe, or whether or not they think I am a wimp for feeling this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2018, 10:09 AM
 
2,215 posts, read 754,367 times
Reputation: 3734
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
And why do American restaurants have signs in the restrooms exhorting emplyees to wash their hands after relieving themselves?

How did we get to a nation of germophobic sissies?

You can bet the Euros do it THEIR WAY, however they please and laugh at us uncultured Americans.
Washing your hands is how you slow down the spread of disease. That has been known for a couple hundred years. And if you don't wash your hands after handling yourself that is disgusting. Please don't shake anybody's hands after using the restrooms, smh. And why on earth would you want someone who just wiped their butts then go out, and handle your food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2018, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Central IL
13,360 posts, read 7,121,412 times
Reputation: 31053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Are you saying that a dental procedure that requires only local anesthesia is more painful that a colonoscopy that requires a general?
Uhm no, that's not what I'm saying. A colonoscopy does NOT require a general - that's the whole point. Got it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2018, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Central IL
13,360 posts, read 7,121,412 times
Reputation: 31053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Are you saying that a dental procedure that requires only local anesthesia is more painful that a colonoscopy that requires a general?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
To clarify - not sure how it's done in every hospital in the US, but around here, it's not "general anesthesia" in the sense of that deep sort of anesthesia for colonoscopies. It's a super light "dose." In fact, it's very very common for the patient to actually wake up during the procedure, talk, etc. My husband did that by the way. It was described to us as a sort of anesthesia that is inhaled, not injected, and you're literally one deep breath away from being awake and many do wake up,

There are many types of "general anesthesia" and this is the very lightest, lowest risk form - and get this, it's actually optional around here, but since insurance generally covers it, it's super low risk, and it's so easy to wake up from with no ill effects, that's how most folks just do it.

After my colonoscopy, which was around 8 am, we went out to eat breakfast. I felt great. We were home and I was out working in the yard by noon.
But did you require a driver? That is what tells you something.

But I have to say that a lot of people who have never had a colonoscopy are just skeeved by the whole idea of it. Pain or not, they don't want any recollection of something going on "back there". THAT is silliness and prudishnessl Not what the OP said about wearing a gown or not - THAT was just pure trolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2018, 10:33 AM
 
365 posts, read 74,647 times
Reputation: 806
Well, we think we can't survive without air conditioning whereas most people in Europe don't have it, and have somehow survived for a thousand years.


Kind of wish I was more awake for the colonoscopy, then I'd never wonder if I said something strange when they inserted the camera, or what chit chat was going on in the room when they did it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2018, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
84,962 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Reputation: 31371
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Uhm no, that's not what I'm saying. A colonoscopy does NOT require a general - that's the whole point. Got it?
What anesthesia does a colonoscopy require? Be specific and cite your sources. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2018, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Reputation: 38636
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
To clarify - not sure how it's done in every hospital in the US, but around here, it's not "general anesthesia" in the sense of that deep sort of anesthesia for colonoscopies. It's a super light "dose." In fact, it's very very common for the patient to actually wake up during the procedure, talk, etc. My husband did that by the way. It was described to us as a sort of anesthesia that is inhaled, not injected, and you're literally one deep breath away from being awake and many do wake up,

There are many types of "general anesthesia" and this is the very lightest, lowest risk form - and get this, it's actually optional around here, but since insurance generally covers it, it's super low risk, and it's so easy to wake up from with no ill effects, that's how most folks just do it.

After my colonoscopy, which was around 8 am, we went out to eat breakfast. I felt great. We were home and I was out working in the yard by noon.
I am guessing most of us have the type of anesthesia you are talking about. I usually have awaken before even leaving the procedure room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2018, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Reputation: 38636
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
A lot of countries are just as free as we are without spending hundreds of billions on weapons that can`t be used and yes hiding behind guns and walls is cowardly. What needs to be explained? This is off topic so I`m done here.
off topic yes, but who started it by saying we were wimps because of our strong military?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top