U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2018, 03:33 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,886,524 times

Advertisements

Personally I LOVE general anesthesia. It’s like a delightful vacation so, why on earth would I elect to deny myself that level of relaxation? Have a colonoscopy due in 6 months. Cannot wait
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 03:33 PM

7,849 posts, read 10,155,094 times
If you want a colonoscopy without getting "knocked out," tell them that. And, if you don't want to wear a hospital gown, tell them that, too. LOL. In fact, plan on a hot dog and beer after the procedure, along w/ a jog around the block.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:38 PM

40,970 posts, read 32,696,264 times
By the way, I had an athrogram of my wrist recently and it was only with local anesthesia and I was fully conscious the entire time and it hurt like a MO FO. I mean, they were digging around in my wrist, which was already injured, and they just kept on and kept on and finally I said, "Hey. No offense but it's getting pretty crunk up in here. I need a little break because I think I'm about to start crying." "Oh!" they said, "No problem!" Then they went and got the doctor and told him, "Sir, we can't seem to get it in there right and get a clear picture," and he came in, told me "Steel yourself," and just jabbed that thing in there and said to them, "There it is," and said to me, "Yep, there's the tear - good luck" and walked out.

When they were done, I looked over and they said "Don't look over there" but not before I saw a puddle of my blood on the floor below the table. When I got home, I counted sixteen holes they'd poked in my wrist trying to get that dye in. With Lidocain only. No tears here, not panic - and no nudity required either for that matter.

Like I said, I've also had four kids without any anesthesia or sedation, all of them were over 7 pounds and the last one was 9 pounds, so yeah - If someone wants to call me a wimp for having some very light anesthesia for a colonoscopy they can have at it. Meanwhile, I'll get off the table afterwards, go out for breakfast, and then enjoy the rest of my day off.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:50 PM

27,504 posts, read 17,652,800 times
I had to have the liver biopsies because I took methotrexate, which I don't take anymore.

I had a reaction that wasn't normal - I was in the middle of saying "that wasn't so baaaa....." and my side exploded in pain, they had to hold me down on the gurney, my hair was drenched in sweat... it some of the worst pain I've had, and I had gallstones for 10 years and pancreantitis.

Ugh, glad for no more of those. Sorry for the derail...
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-26-2018, 04:04 PM

9,155 posts, read 6,339,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
A driver was required but I'm pretty sure I could have rested at the hospital for an hour and then driven myself on to the restaurant, but what's the fun in that? It was more fun telling fart jokes with my husband and then going out to eat breakfast!

LOL, hopefully you got most of that out of your system before you left the place. I remember having intense cramping at the surgery center after the colonoscopy, from the CO2 the doc had used to inflate things. I couldn't have even thought of breakfast till it was gone! Fortunately, by the time we left, it was.

Interestingly enough, the CO2 used to inflate the stomach and whatnot during the upper endoscopy exited the same way it had from the colonoscopy, only a few hours later. Guess I expected to burp it all gone.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:55 PM

10,638 posts, read 3,319,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
For example, in Europe when getting a colonoscopy they don't knock you out, hell you don't even wear a gown, you do most everything without sedation and fully nude everywhere else. Only Americans are wimps and prudes about these kinds of things.

Sounds like Americans are actually the smart one's!! What a ridiculous thread!

Old 08-26-2018, 05:10 PM

84,978 posts, read 98,832,039 times
I just came across the most fascinating article: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...51865417300236
According to this: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...51865417300236 it is untrue that patients in Europe get no sedation/anesthesia for colonoscopies.
"Sedation protocols varied greatly by country (Fig. 1). Absence of sedation was most common in Japan at 58% of patients. Conscious sedation was most common in Germany (86% of patients) and the UK (76% of patients), and deep sedation was most common in the US (53% of patients) and France (76% of patients)."

I would like to know also, why if another country does a medical procedure differently than the US, is the other country "right" and the US "wrong"?

See also: https://www.healio.com/hematology-on...ghest-in-world
"Five-year survival for the most common 18 cancers remained highest globally for the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, followed by Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden, according to data through 2014 from CONCORD-3."

According to this: https://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/docser...39583304AFF579
the US is doing pretty well on colon cancer survival rates, not that this means we shouldn't try to improve. But maybe we shouldn't be so quick to compare ourselves to "Europe".

Old 08-26-2018, 05:54 PM

16,494 posts, read 17,539,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Suffering needlessly is hardly a sign of superiority, in fact, IMO, it is just the opposite.
I remember I went hunting/camping with a few buddies. One decided to cowboy up and slept on the ground by the fire. So my other buddy and I slept in my camper like we planned. About 2 am we heard him knock on the door. Freezing his butt off getting bitten by every little bug on the ground.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:25 PM

40,970 posts, read 32,696,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I just came across the most fascinating article: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...51865417300236
According to this: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...51865417300236 it is untrue that patients in Europe get no sedation/anesthesia for colonoscopies.
"Sedation protocols varied greatly by country (Fig. 1). Absence of sedation was most common in Japan at 58% of patients. Conscious sedation was most common in Germany (86% of patients) and the UK (76% of patients), and deep sedation was most common in the US (53% of patients) and France (76% of patients)."

I would like to know also, why if another country does a medical procedure differently than the US, is the other country "right" and the US "wrong"?

See also: https://www.healio.com/hematology-on...ghest-in-world
"Five-year survival for the most common 18 cancers remained highest globally for the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, followed by Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden, according to data through 2014 from CONCORD-3."

According to this: https://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/docser...39583304AFF579
the US is doing pretty well on colon cancer survival rates, not that this means we shouldn't try to improve. But maybe we shouldn't be so quick to compare ourselves to "Europe".

lol That first article is the one I linked to earlier - yes, seems to be a wide variation in protocol and I could find no evidence that colonoscopies are performed on nude patients anywhere in the world. Sheeze!

Old 08-26-2018, 06:36 PM

22,714 posts, read 21,770,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I had to have the liver biopsies because I took methotrexate, which I don't take anymore.

I had a reaction that wasn't normal - I was in the middle of saying "that wasn't so baaaa....." and my side exploded in pain, they had to hold me down on the gurney, my hair was drenched in sweat... it some of the worst pain I've had, and I had gallstones for 10 years and pancreantitis.

Ugh, glad for no more of those. Sorry for the derail...
Don't apologize. The next doctor who tells me that something will pinch a bit, I may punch in the face. Not really, but I'd like them to know what I'm experiencing. They haven't had those procedures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or