Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 04:02 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
For example, in Europe when getting a colonoscopy they don't knock you out, hell you don't even wear a gown, you do most everything without sedation and fully nude everywhere else. Only Americans are wimps and prudes about these kinds of things.
Another American bashing post. Aren't you hip?

The difference in healthcare procedures probably has more to do with health care costs, insurance versus socialized medicine, etcetera.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 04:12 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
The discomfort from a colonoscopy in no way compares to having a tooth drilled for a root canal. Also, the complication rate for local anesthesia is far lower than for general. And though most insurance pays for anesthesia for colonoscopies in the U.S. you need to double check that they pay for the administration of it - also, the TOTAL ACTUAL cost of general anesthesia is much higher than the "local" you get at a dentist's office since you may need an extra person there to monitor you with a general. So yeah, way too many differences to say if you get anesthesia at the dentist why not for EVERY procedure. jeeeeeeeeez

Old 08-25-2018, 04:14 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
I am no wimp but for as much as I pay for healthcare I will take what is offered and is as close to pain free as possible.

Old 08-25-2018, 05:31 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
So should I be nude for my next root canal???

Old 08-25-2018, 06:12 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
We're a nation of prudes, but it's not just the patients. The doctors here are more comfortable with patients sedated and covered up for procedures like that.
It's for modesty's sake, not prudishness.

"Modesty, sometimes known as demureness, is a mode of dress and deportment which intends to avoid the encouraging of sexual attraction in others."

Old 08-25-2018, 06:20 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
I wonder how many of those people would rather not go through the procedure without being anesthetized in some fashion? I wonder if anesthesia is covered to begin with for some procedures?
Here....just bite in this stick.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:20 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
For example, in Europe when getting a colonoscopy they don't knock you out, hell you don't even wear a gown, you do most everything without sedation and fully nude everywhere else. Only Americans are wimps and prudes about these kinds of things.
A better question for you would be, assuming any of what you typed were true why aren't Europeans demanding better quality medical care?

By the way, according to this review of the Top 20 Countries for incidence and death of colorectal cancer, by my count at least 13 of the 20 are European countries...

US isn't in the top 20.....maybe your way isn't working so well?

Just sayin'

https://www.wcrf.org/int/cancer-fact...cer-statistics

Old 08-25-2018, 07:07 PM

765 posts, read 473,811 times
we can say a lot of derogatory things about America.... or Americans....but chances are you weren't there the days after those towers fell, as was I, as were my friends, all my neighbors, sure, as a native New Yorker, and a daughter of a Port Authority police officer, who died immediately after that horrific day, I most likely am very biased. VERY.....but do not dare say to me that Americans are wimps, do not tell me that Americans do not possess a courage, a strength, a deserved pride. Shame on you.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:13 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
so should i be nude for my next root canal???
lol!

Old 08-25-2018, 07:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
The discomfort from a colonoscopy in no way compares to having a tooth drilled for a root canal. Also, the complication rate for local anesthesia is far lower than for general. And though most insurance pays for anesthesia for colonoscopies in the U.S. you need to double check that they pay for the administration of it - also, the TOTAL ACTUAL cost of general anesthesia is much higher than the "local" you get at a dentist's office since you may need an extra person there to monitor you with a general. So yeah, way too many differences to say if you get anesthesia at the dentist why not for EVERY procedure. jeeeeeeeeez
Are you saying that a dental procedure that requires only local anesthesia is more painful that a colonoscopy that requires a general?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness