Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2018, 08:49 AM

19,626 posts, read 12,218,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
But did you require a driver? That is what tells you something.

But I have to say that a lot of people who have never had a colonoscopy are just skeeved by the whole idea of it. Pain or not, they don't want any recollection of something going on "back there". THAT is silliness and prudishnessl
No it is pretty normal to be squicked out and humiliated having someone poking around in your butt much less sticking a six foot tube in there. Not the sweetest of memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 11:33 AM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
It's a cultural thing.
Europeans wash their hands, too. The signs in restrooms is a specific US phenomenon to keep the restaurant from being sued.

And I just checked the Danish patient guide, it tells the patient to expect "light anesthesia" - anesthesia comes with risk factors as well, btw. (Nudity wasn't mentioned. Major oversight.)

Of course, "Europe" is a silly concept here - there's a difference between the Stockholm University Hospital and some out-of-the-way Greek suburb.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:42 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
No it is pretty normal to be squicked out and humiliated having someone poking around in your butt much less sticking a six foot tube in there. Not the sweetest of memories.
...good thing women don't get "squicked" about their personal parts being manhandled....

Old 08-27-2018, 06:09 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
...good thing women don't get "squicked" about their personal parts being manhandled....
They do, at the OBGYN. I'm sure men don't like the proctologist either. We're talking colonoscopy not a sex therapy session.

BTW, people do get sexually molested by doctors but that is another topic. The part of this thread that relates to it for me is with gowns. The only time I was ever not given a paper or cloth cover-up, even after asking for one, is when the inappropriate "exam" happened. I don't think it would happen now with nurses being present during exams but gowns or coverings are always standard in the US for patient exams or procedures.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:41 PM

623 posts, read 311,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
"Why aren't all American medical procedures done the same as in other countries?"

There, I fixed your mean-spirited title for you. But to answer your question, people in different countries have different ways of doing things, so there ya go.
Nice try, but you can't really fix the title. He asked the question, which made a huge assumption of facts not in evidence, and then put a pejorative name on it. The question, as asked, doesn't really rate an answer. I will comment, however, that for at least fifteen years, I have not availed myself of anesthesia for minor dental procedures like drilling and filling and slightly more complicated reconstructive work, nor is anesthesia necessary for a deep cleaning. This is not because I am a macho man, nor do I have any special opinions on the majority of people who allow their dentists to anesthetize them. I'm just stating the facts as they present themselves to me. That some other people may experience things differently comes pretty close to being none of my business. Apparently the OP feels it IS his business. Interesting.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:14 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Well, I for one, would appreciate if the OP could "dis-concern" himself with anything that has to do with my butt.

And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-28-2018, 02:20 AM

272 posts, read 217,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Suffering needlessly is hardly a sign of superiority, in fact, IMO, it is just the opposite.
Then why do Europeans not have an issue with it?

Old 08-28-2018, 02:24 AM

272 posts, read 217,944 times
Default Is it true that in Europe when undergoing medical procedures it's hardly ever done with sedation and nude?

In America when undergoing a medical procedure it's common to put on a gown for modesty and go under sedation for things like a colonoscopy and the like, but from what I have heard Europeans don't do either, just do whatever without any kind of sedation and fully nude, is that true?

Old 08-28-2018, 02:27 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
yes, it's entirely true.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:19 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
In America when undergoing a medical procedure it's common to put on a gown for modesty and go under sedation for things like a colonoscopy and the like, but from what I have heard Europeans don't do either, just do whatever without any kind of sedation and fully nude, is that true?

No, it is bullsh*t, just like the other thread you started on the same topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness