Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 12:30 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,565,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Hi! I know - you weren't replying to the OP, I just used your comment as an example of why we sometimes ignore a low TSH. Jamin is on NDT so yes her TSH would be suppressed. That's all

Glad you are able to go by feeling - I've had doctors who, every time I say I feel like crap, offer to run another test and then not treat. It's frustrating!
My support is thru Integrative MD's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 12:59 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,911,435 times
I have been on generic but after complete removal of my thyroid due to cancer my doctor switched me to Synthroid and also started me on T3. When I was diagnosed with another autoimmune disease last year we talked about trying Tirosint which is another synthetic T4 however it does not have all the fillers like Synthroid and the generic does and has better absorption which I needed.

I can't tell you how much better I feel on Tirosint! It is more expensive but not having all of my issues that I believe Synthroid caused is worth the extra money.

We also discussed desiccated thyroid replacement and although my doctor was open to it he felt that at this point (with my current situations) being able to adjust T4 and T3 separately would probably be better for me and since T3 has a shorter life it is best to take it a couple times a day spaced apart. I'll be honest though...I stopped taking my T3 and am feeling really good with just my Tirosint.

I think everyone has to try different things to get to their own optimal. There is no one right way.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:26 PM

1,183 posts, read 698,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63;52939624[B
]The active drug must be the same in generics, but the fillers can be different[/b]. And obviously the manufacturing details may differ. That has been the main problems with generics because with thyroid hormone tiny differences can have huge effects - if the range of active drug that you happen to get varies from month to month then you'll feel it and your bloodwork will also vary. To be more consistent, the name brand has better quality control.

And some people are sensitive to the kind of fillers used so it can help to try several different ones.

This is correct for small molecule drugs (most pharmaceuticals are small molecules). The active drug is exactly the same molecule. As you say, the packers and fillers put into the pill may vary of course (as can the active drug release rate into the body) - but its not like the brand name is automatically a better pill than the generic for any individual - one has to take it and find out.

Desiccated thyroid contains a whole host of things beyond thryoxines - because it a literally desiccated thyroid gland. This may work in one's favor if compounds other than T4 are needed to get full thyroid function. However, the problem is determining where its come from. Which abattoir/slaughterhouse? While prion diseases like BSE aren't prevalent in pigs, they do exist, and there are prion diseases in cows and sheep which may be slaughtered in the same place. If you are going to use dried pig parts try to get an idea of the producer's quality control.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:44 PM

Just talking to my gf and she has a long history of different thyroid meds. Back in her 30's she attended Gerson Clinic and when sent home, they were given a 1000 tabs of Armour and they were big on desiccated thyroid.

Then along the road she needed to find a doc to help her get back on Armour as the meds were used up. My D.O. helped her when he was helping me.

Then in recent years she ended up at Kaiser and they took her off Armour and put her on Syn and her hair started falling out.

So she had to go out of Kaiser and get on NT which she now takes and her hair is stabilizing. She's only taking 1/2 grain and will do the body temp test again and see what that reads.

So yes, there are some who have gone thru the gambit of thyroid meds and gets to where they seem to be best.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:34 PM

7,987 posts, read 10,326,019 times
What are you taking it for? Except in a few cases where synthetic thyroid (Synthroid) is necessary, I would highly, HIGHLY recommend desiccated thyroid. Less expensive, less side effects, just overall better. Find a doctor in your area that prescribes them. I have had wonderful results with them.

Also find a doctor who really understands thyroid function -one who will test more than just basic TSH and such. You should really have your antibodies tested and such as well. Please note that this doctor may not necessarily be an endocrinologist. I had nothing but HORRIBLE experiences with endos. The most knowledgeable doctor I found (and happily still see) is a family med doctor/general practitioner.

I also highly recommend diet changes. Reducing processed foods and switching to a basically whole food diet really makes a huge difference. This type of diet is good for everyone, but especially those with thyroid issues.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
What are you taking it for? Except in a few cases where synthetic thyroid (Synthroid) is necessary, I would highly, HIGHLY recommend desiccated thyroid. Less expensive, less side effects, just overall better. Find a doctor in your area that prescribes them. I have had wonderful results with them.

Also find a doctor who really understands thyroid function -one who will test more than just basic TSH and such. You should really have your antibodies tested and such as well. Please note that this doctor may not necessarily be an endocrinologist. I had nothing but HORRIBLE experiences with endos. The most knowledgeable doctor I found (and happily still see) is a family med doctor/general practitioner.

I also highly recommend diet changes. Reducing processed foods and switching to a basically whole food diet really makes a huge difference. This type of diet is good for everyone, but especially those with thyroid issues.
Your comment about taking Synthroid when necessary, when would that be? I agree with you totally on all the reasons to take desiccated. And the endos I saw for 10 yrs while trying to get thyroid supported were of no help. My D.O. got me on the track of Armour.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:22 PM

17,328 posts, read 13,062,058 times
Common best practice is to stay on specific generic or brand.

There is some variable in biopharmaceutics between manufacturers

That said, your doc is in charge if he/she wants you on brand. Personally, if I had to take it, I would want brand

Old 08-30-2018, 06:34 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,840,329 times
I switched to Synthroid years ago as the generic was not working for me. I get it from a mail order pharmacy, and pay $90 for a 3 month supply.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
I switched to Synthroid years ago as the generic was not working for me. I get it from a mail order pharmacy, and pay $90 for a 3 month supply.
Syn has always been more than desiccated, I pay about $47 for 90 day supply of the 2 grains of NT. Syn came onto the thyroid scene back the 80's I believe and took over market share and made huge profits with their product.

And is Syn even FDA approved? See link above.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-30-2018 at 11:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness