Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 10:05 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
My mail order pharmacy didn't have NP Thyroid either. I guess I could start calling local pharmacies, but sheesh, I remember last year it was so time consuming, and I couldn't find any brand of natural thyroid anywhere.
Are you totally out, what are you doing for thyroid support?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 10:31 PM

17,568 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd add here that, once again, Naturethroid is on back order. I went several months playing around with alternatives in 2017 during that lengthy back order period (when RLC was transitioning to a larger manufacturing facility). Now I just found out that it is again unavailable. This is crazy and irresponsible.

I feel best on a combination of synthetic + natural, but I'm just about ready to go back to synthetic only, just so I won't have to deal with these back orders and the months of trying to get regulated.
https://getrealthyroid.com/product-availability.html

Not going to be available for a while

Old 09-12-2018, 06:04 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
NP is known as Acella. I see it does not come in 120+mg tab. 90mg seems to be highest. Do you know if this changed. How about price, is it as good as NT? Here's a run down of NDT meds.

https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/ar...-other-brands/

I'm happy with NT and it wasn't until the company moved etc that this shortage occurred as long as I've been taking it. Acella is a script, right?
I take a generic, but yes, it is a script. My dose is much lower, so I don't know about the higher doses. But may be worth asking about. Price is about the same.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:05 AM

Quote:
My mail order pharmacy didn't have NP Thyroid either. I guess I could start calling local pharmacies, but sheesh, I remember last year it was so time consuming, and I couldn't find any brand of natural thyroid anywhere.
There is no national shortage, so that may just be on your particular mail order pharmacy. I've never had my pharmacy (I've used both local and mail order) be out of it.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:46 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://getrealthyroid.com/product-availability.html

Not going to be available for a while
Well CVS just got me 100 of the 2grain so they are getting some action here. And the homeopathic pharm in my town buys stock and has been supplying me. So I don't know your statement truth.

RLC has been working to get their stocks up to where they need for the population.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:26 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Does anyone know if a doctor can write a prescription for "natural desiccated thyroid," rather than specify NatureThroid, or Armoir, or NP, or whatever? That would make it a lot easier to at least get SOMETHING. I do see my dr tomorrow, so I'll ask her about this. In the meantime, I'll make some calls to the local pharmacies.

Oh, and to whoever it was that asked earlier, I still have a couple weeks of my Nature Throid. It was time to refill my 90-day mail order supply, which is how I found out about the back order (that was with Walgreens mail order, now called AllianceRX).

Old 09-12-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know if a doctor can write a prescription for "natural desiccated thyroid," rather than specify NatureThroid, or Armoir, or NP, or whatever? That would make it a lot easier to at least get SOMETHING. I do see my dr tomorrow, so I'll ask her about this. In the meantime, I'll make some calls to the local pharmacies.

Oh, and to whoever it was that asked earlier, I still have a couple weeks of my Nature Throid. It was time to refill my 90-day mail order supply, which is how I found out about the back order (that was with Walgreens mail order, now called AllianceRX).
I don't think so, because the dosages and such are different. Last year, when there was a huge shortage, the pharmacy contacted my doctor, who switched it to NP. That was all within a day, so I never went without. I liked the NP better, so I've stayed on it ever since. Never been a shortage (that I know of) with NP Thyroid.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:08 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I don't think so, because the dosages and such are different. Last year, when there was a huge shortage, the pharmacy contacted my doctor, who switched it to NP. That was all within a day, so I never went without. I liked the NP better, so I've stayed on it ever since. Never been a shortage (that I know of) with NP Thyroid.
I've made some calls, and so far all I can find locally is Armour.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I've made some calls, and so far all I can find locally is Armour.
Armour is the name brand of NP Thyroid. (NP is the generic). Maybe it's a regional thing or maybe there's been more demand for it since there's a back order of the other (people switching to NP in the meantime). If it's the latter, it is most likely because the pharmacies did not anticipate the increased demand and therefore did not order enough to cover the demand. As far as I know, there is no shortage on a national level or a back order.

Have you checked online pharmacies?

Old 11-11-2018, 06:46 AM

2,595 posts, read 2,288,096 times
I have been on Nature-thyroid for about 15 years. Since they reformulated the medication, it stopped working for me. I gained 10 pounds and felt terrible. I was having breathing issues too.
My TSH was tested and came back at 80, which is very hypo. I agreed to try Synthroid again, but no generic substitution. I have been on it for about a week and I am feeling better. If I decide to return to dessicated thyroid meds, I would try Armour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness