Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2018, 05:38 AM

48,384 posts, read 34,520,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My TSH is very low and I'm fine on my higher dose of NT. Again -- all these numbers we are...we are symptoms and these numbers games are new in the last 30 some yrs.

The ideal would be to find an MD who works with symptoms.

My Vit D was low in 2006 and getting that optimal made a lot of difference for me.

Isn't low TSH HYPERthyroidism? I thought you had hypothyroidism? The one where you are tired and gain weight.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 05:41 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,655,031 times
Quote:
My TSH is very low and I'm fine on my higher dose of NT. Again -- all these numbers we are...we are symptoms and these numbers games are new in the last 30 some yrs.

The ideal would be to find an MD who works with symptoms.

My Vit D was low in 2006 and getting that optimal made a lot of difference for me.
Great that you found a perfect balance with your labs, symptoms, and your dosage. However, you seem to be completely missing the point. If a TSH level is low, you don't increase the dose of thyroid medicine. If your TSH level went lower, they would not increase your dose!

Old 08-28-2018, 06:58 AM

965 posts, read 932,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamjedlicka View Post
Not sure this is the totally right place to post this but I was curious if anyone on a generic thyroid medication (for decades now) was switched by your MD to the brand name Synthroid for certain symptoms (heavy fatigue, some weight gain, itchy skin). On the allergy forum I posted about my itchy skin. I'd been harping on my MD for at least the last 2 yrs about this issue, including the fatigue, and after my recent physical she asked me to contact her if my fatigue didn't resolve. Well, since I'm doing nothing different and short of a miracle I don't know what WOULD resolve it, she decided to change my Levoxyl to the brand name Synthroid (and ouch, that stuff is $40 month!). 4 days in I seem to be feeling less fatigue and the itchy skin is subsiding. As to the itchy skin, I'm wondering if 'end of the summer' and possible allergy connections might just be going away, but the fatigue thing is pretty 'major.' I had a full day yesterday, including a nice hike in the woods and came home without feeling like I needed a nap (seriously, this has been a daily occurrence for me).

From some surfing around, it sounds like the additives in the generic medication may detract from the effect of the medication, but also that MDs may simply think that if you are anywhere in the 'normal' range for you TSH test then you are good. I have always been on the low side of normal and inquired several times if we could try upping the generic dosage just a bit, maybe to get me to mid-line normal or a little above. That never happened. More surfing around tells me that MDs sometimes just don't get that a normal range may not indicate that you are fine. Anyone have experience with this? I had been taking the generic for Synthroid for over 20 years so the idea that the effects might just have diminished for me seems plausible.
But I wonder if upping the dose of the generic would give a similar result and save me the $$ of the brand name.
sorry this is so long-winded.
Ask your doctor to test you for Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. You may be experiencing symptoms due to autoimmune disease and your thyroid gland.
Having a doctor who is open and knowledgeable is of the utmost importance with your thyroid (if you are having issues). 30 days on the wrong thyroid medication has set me over the edge in the past.

Before going to name brand I would also suggest going to a natural desiccated thyroid med, especially if you are going to pay that much per month, ouch! I don’t even pay that for my desiccated thyroid meds, and they are expensive compared to levothyroxine. I realize you are already on it, but I but it would be worth a try after this trial.
I’ve been on Acella version for 8+ years now, and I take it sublingually which I think really helps with absorption. I feel SO much better than on only T4.
Also, I learned a lot from STTM. It is a little over the top, but lots of good info, definitely educate yourself.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:35 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,606,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Great that you found a perfect balance with your labs, symptoms, and your dosage. However, you seem to be completely missing the point. If a TSH level is low, you don't increase the dose of thyroid medicine. If your TSH level went lower, they would not increase your dose!
I'm not increasing my dose, I've been at 2 grains for probably 2 yrs or more. And I'm not Hyper and my TSH is very low, so as I see it one can't count on numbers. And my body is not what it was in 2002 and where it is today at 80.

Actually I was on a little higher than 2 grains of Armour or NT a few yrs ago and I cut back. I seem to be stable on 2 grains. Which is 130 mg of the NatureThroid med. I spent a lot of time on thyroid support groups. And learned so much.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-28-2018 at 10:50 AM..

Old 08-28-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
Ask your doctor to test you for Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. You may be experiencing symptoms due to autoimmune disease and your thyroid gland.
Having a doctor who is open and knowledgeable is of the utmost importance with your thyroid (if you are having issues). 30 days on the wrong thyroid medication has set me over the edge in the past.

Before going to name brand I would also suggest going to a natural desiccated thyroid med, especially if you are going to pay that much per month, ouch! I don’t even pay that for my desiccated thyroid meds, and they are expensive compared to levothyroxine. I realize you are already on it, but I but it would be worth a try after this trial.
I’ve been on Acella version for 8+ years now, and I take it sublingually which I think really helps with absorption. I feel SO much better than on only T4.
Also, I learned a lot from STTM. It is a little over the top, but lots of good info, definitely educate yourself.
Our general population has been so brainwashed by medical on Syn and Levo...and probably think they are doing OK but who knows they may not be doing well. But MOST don't know they have options.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:42 AM

If the level of thyroxine in the blood is high then the pituitary gland releases less TSH. Therefore, a low level of TSH means that your thyroid gland is overactive and is making too much thyroxine. Thyroxine (T4). A high level of T4 confirms hyperthyroidism.Mar 15, 2018

Overactive Thyroid Gland (Hyperthyroidism) | Symptoms and Causes ...
https://patient.info/health/overacti...yperthyroidism

Old 08-28-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If the level of thyroxine in the blood is high then the pituitary gland releases less TSH. Therefore, a low level of TSH means that your thyroid gland is overactive and is making too much thyroxine. Thyroxine (T4). A high level of T4 confirms hyperthyroidism.Mar 15, 2018

Overactive Thyroid Gland (Hyperthyroidism) | Symptoms and Causes ...
https://patient.info/health/overacti...yperthyroidism
I'm fine, Mikala, I'll handle my thyroid as I do and my MD is fine with it too.

I tend to be a high energy constitution and if it were not for the arthritis damage and pain I live with I'd be a different person at 80. So maybe this high energy has something to do with thyroid overall. I've always been a higher energy with or without thyroid support. But I'm not hyper.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-28-2018 at 11:30 AM..

Old 08-28-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I'm fine, Mikala, I'll handle my thyroid as I do and my MD is fine with it too.

I know.

The information is to clarify for others.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:04 PM

26,645 posts, read 28,497,238 times
Due to moving around so much and needing to switch doctors, in addition to doctors moving away, I've lost track of whether or not my thyroid is messed up.

It was about 15 years ago that a wonderful dr at Brigham and Womans Hospital in Boston told me I had Hashimotos and spent quite a bit of time helping me. He put me on Armour. It didn't do anything for me. The standard pills didn't do anything either.

Fast forward (since that nice dr moved away) I finally got tested again last year by an MD who is somewhat into integrative medicine and she said I did not have Hashimotos. She said my thyroid was a little bit low and I should try iodine and selenium but a naturopath should help me with that. Then I moved away again!

I don't remember if she gave me any actual numbers or if she just said my numbers were sort of low. I don't know of any naturopaths around here and can't afford one anyway. Can any give me any input on what this dr meant by adding iodine and selenium? TIA.

Last edited by in_newengland; 08-28-2018 at 09:13 PM..

Old 08-28-2018, 12:14 PM

INE: I know enough people people who do take iodine and selenium for thyroid health. I take Iodine drop(s) and have been for years. I have selenium and have taken it and not recently. I'm not hyper and I also believe the iodine is necessary for my breast health and other body tissues.

Maybe others will give you more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness