U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 07:21 AM

2,738 posts, read 1,213,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
When doing the prep for my colonoscopy, yes, it wasn't pleasant, but I loved the feeling of being completely 'empty'.

Lately I have been having pretty constant constipation. The Ducolax that used to be the sure fire fix isn't working the way it used to, and neither is the other laxative I tried. I can't get a doctor's appointment until October, and I REALLY need some relief. I swear if I can just get 'empty' again I'll change my ways - go back on the fiber and eat more fruit and vegetables. I SWEAR.

Anyway, is there an OTC that is more thorough than Ducolax. Something similar to the colonoscopy prep.I don't care if I have to run to the bathroom every 10 minutes. All I need is to GO!
Drink castor oil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 07:56 AM

3,704 posts, read 9,097,342 times
A bottle of that liquid magnesium citrate does the trick as well and it's cheap!

Old 08-27-2018, 08:00 AM

15,527 posts, read 29,240,196 times
Quote:
When doing the prep for my colonoscopy, yes, it wasn't pleasant, but I loved the feeling of being completely 'empty'.

Lately I have been having pretty constant constipation. The Ducolax that used to be the sure fire fix isn't working the way it used to, and neither is the other laxative I tried. I can't get a doctor's appointment until October, and I REALLY need some relief. I swear if I can just get 'empty' again I'll change my ways - go back on the fiber and eat more fruit and vegetables. I SWEAR.

Anyway, is there an OTC that is more thorough than Ducolax. Something similar to the colonoscopy prep.I don't care if I have to run to the bathroom every 10 minutes. All I need is to GO!
I find that eating a lot of animal fat helps me stay good and regular. Back in the day when I was "trying" to eat a healthy diet with lots and lots of salads and fiber and that stuff my bathroom habits suffered. Once I gave up that nonsense and starting eating a lot of fat I never once had any kind of problem.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:18 AM

1,772 posts, read 2,404,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
A bottle of that liquid magnesium citrate does the trick as well and it's cheap!
I agree. This works extremely well. Often a bit too well - lol. But as others have mentioned, do not do this on a regular (pun intended) basis. You do NOT want to become dependent on laxatives.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:14 AM

369 posts, read 177,115 times
A couple of years ago I got backed up, and couldn't have a bowel movement for one month. It was horrible. I tried everything: laxative, prune juice, enemas and magnesium citrate. Finally, my doctor ordered me a bottle of "go-lightly", which is the nasty stuff you drink before a colonoscopy. There is nothing "lightly" about it, but it finally did the job.

I have to have another colonoscopy in a couple of weeks, and I was told they will be giving me a different medication to clean me out instead of the go-lightly. I hope you are able to remedy your constipation issue before it gets as bad as mine did, because it is very unpleasant to be unable to poo for a month or more.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:20 AM

4,847 posts, read 5,906,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I find that eating a lot of animal fat helps me stay good and regular. Back in the day when I was "trying" to eat a healthy diet with lots and lots of salads and fiber and that stuff my bathroom habits suffered. Once I gave up that nonsense and starting eating a lot of fat I never once had any kind of problem.
A healthy diet is high fiber food and it certainly is not nonsense. Eating lots of animal fat is not healthy.

As to the OP if you use laxatives too much you become dependent on them and that is not what you want.

Drink lots of water and eat high fiber foods. Add a magnesium supplement to your diet.
A few things that help me are dried fruits and mineral water.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:40 AM

1,805 posts, read 774,742 times
Take the Ducolax but then drink a thing of magnesium citrate (97 cents at Walmart). It's they prep they had me do for my colonoscopy, actually. I did it a few months ago because my constipation was so bad and was tired of feeling bloated and full of junk.

You'll wanna be at home and close to a bathroom, obviously.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:21 AM

2,905 posts, read 1,932,254 times
Quote:

As has already been mentioned, Magnesium Citrate is very similar to what they use. It should be available at most drug stores.

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wa...601649-product

Which brings up the topic of Magnesium. Maybe you should supplement with it on a daily basis. It does help to stay regular.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:24 AM

18,817 posts, read 6,149,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
As has already been mentioned, Magnesium Citrate is very similar to what they use. It should be available at most drug stores.

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wa...601649-product

Which brings up the topic of Magnesium. Maybe you should supplement with it on a daily basis. It does help to stay regular.
One can just take mag citrate capsules as their regular regiment to keep regular.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:27 AM

2,905 posts, read 1,932,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
One can just take mag citrate capsules as their regular regiment to keep regular.
This is true (I edited my post as you chimed in). The liquid is best for a "one time" use and works very well. I purchased pure magnesium citrate powder and make my own drink when I need it. I haven't needed it in a long time. 1tsp in a glass of water is all it takes. It does vary in how long for the BM to happen. This is the powder.

https://www.pipingrock.com/magnesium...RoC7KEQAvD_BwE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness