Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 07:07 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times

Advertisements

Is it possible you actually have Vocal Cord Dysfunction? In my case it was caused by a paralyzed vocal cord after thyroid removal but it can also be caused by acid reflux. I was misdiagnosed three times as having: asthma, COPD and bronchitis before being correctly diagnosed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 07:38 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Thanks so much to the latest 3 posters!

I just looked at the expiration dates of my inhalers. The emergency-use ones expired 4/2018, so not too long ago...probably still fine for now.

The long-term use one to use to keep good ongoing breathing doesn't exp until 2019 & 2020, so good there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Just throwing this out there because many months ago I came down with bronchitis/laryngitis that would not go away even with steroid treatment. It started with me going to the ER because I thought my throat would close up. These were the other symptoms I had over the course of 2 months: chest tightening, throat feeling like it will close, prickling sensation in my sinuses. Here is what the doctors looked for: allergies, asthma, inflammation of the intestine and acid reflux...
In Jan of 2017 when this whole ordeal of my respiratory issue started, I felt as if my throat was closing up & did go to the ER then. They said bronchitis at the time too. Soon after is when I went to my primary dr & got the pulmonologist referral. I did have a food allergy test & was very mildly allergic to the usual things that many people are allergic too: Corn, wheat, etc., but I never seemed to react in ANY way from eating those ingredients before, but I know, things can change as we age.

I want to bring up the acid reflux to my dr next week too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Patients with asthma has the best success seeing an Allergist who specializes in adult asthma.

Office visits and treatment for asthma by an Allergist even if you had to pay it all out of pocket is not expense. People can die from asthma, do not delay in getting help. Always carry a rescue inhaler and make sure it has not expired.
Thanks a lot, I didn't know that. I'll bring that up about getting a referral for that type of dr when I see my dr next week, thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Is it possible you actually have Vocal Cord Dysfunction? In my case it was caused by a paralyzed vocal cord after thyroid removal but it can also be caused by acid reflux. I was misdiagnosed three times as having: asthma, COPD and bronchitis before being correctly diagnosed.
How did you know it was VCD? Wouldn't your voice be all distorted when you talk? What other symptoms come w/ VCD?

Last edited by Forever Blue; 08-29-2018 at 08:02 AM..

Old 08-29-2018, 08:37 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

I just looked at the expiration dates of my inhalers. The emergency-use ones expired 4/2018, so not too long ago...probably still fine for now.
Those are fine way beyond their expiration date.

It's confusing to me how the sensation of your throat closing up could be bronchitis. Sounds more like an allergic reaction, but then I'm not an MD.

Basic stuff like drinking plenty of plain ole water, avoiding irritants and gaining/ maintaining good aerobic fitness can help a great deal with some mild asthma cases, such as mine. I haven't had any episodes since my 40's a decade ago.

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2018, 09:11 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:

Be sure that you do.

Night-time acid reflux can lead to aspiration pneumonia and believe me, you do not want to have that. If you're not on Prilosec already, you can start that yourself. It's OTC.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:25 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Be sure that you do.

Night-time acid reflux can lead to aspiration pneumonia and believe me, you do not want to have that. If you're not on Prilosec already, you can start that yourself. It's OTC.
The OP might want to look at this before using Prilosec to treat any suspected acid reflux problem:

Some heartburn drugs linked with higher risk of death
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/heartbu...xium-prevacid/

Some doctors recommend a combination of dietary changes, not eating at least 3 hours before bedtime, and possibly sleeping with one's head elevated, as a way to help control the problem.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:41 AM

Thanks again guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
The OP might want to look at this before using Prilosec to treat any suspected acid reflux problem:

Some heartburn drugs linked with higher risk of death
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/heartbu...xium-prevacid/

Some doctors recommend a combination of dietary changes, not eating at least 3 hours before bedtime, and possibly sleeping with one's head elevated, as a way to help control the problem.
Right! I've always been trying to go the all-natural, holistic approach for issues as much as I possibly can, so I don't see myself trying that Prilosec. I think I have a very, very, very mild case of reflex anyway so that won't warrant any meds for it I'm sure. I don't wake up in the middle of the night w/ an acidic-tasting throat & morning sore throat very often...weeks can go by w/o it happening.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:34 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to post guys!

I'm getting it all taken care of! I now have an appt w/ the general dr next wk, which they said I have to see her 1st to get a referral for the pulmonologist again since I have a different insurance co. now (& I couldn't stay w/ the insurance I had).

I did have my emergency inhaler (that I hadn't used in a year), but I keep in my purse. I used it 2-3x's earlier today during the attack & I read not to use it too often in a small period of time because it increases the heartbeat. The other steroid inhaler for long-term use I have some here too...the expirations dates may be a tad passed, but they're probably still good to use. I'll get fresh refills ASAP.

Thank God this day's over!
You can take the rescue inhaler every four hours, two puffs each time. Putting your hands on your head with your elbows pointing out to the sides can sometimes help by making your chest feel more open.

The steroid inhaler will not help with an asthma attack. It will help to prevent asthma attacks but will not treat one that is currently happening.

I saw an allergist who specialized in asthma several times for my asthma and he was the worst doctor I ever saw. So an allergist may be the way to go, but only a good allergist.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:

The long-term use one to use to keep good ongoing breathing doesn't exp until 2019 & 2020, so good there!

In Jan of 2017 when this whole ordeal of my respiratory issue started, I felt as if my throat was closing up & did go to the ER then. They said bronchitis at the time too. Soon after is when I went to my primary dr & got the pulmonologist referral. I did have a food allergy test & was very mildly allergic to the usual things that many people are allergic too: Corn, wheat, etc., but I never seemed to react in ANY way from eating those ingredients before, but I know, things can change as we age.

Thanks a lot, I didn't know that. I'll bring that up about getting a referral for that type of dr when I see my dr next week, thanks again.

How did you know it was VCD? Wouldn't your voice be all distorted when you talk? What other symptoms come w/ VCD?

Yes, my voice was never the same after my thyroid was removed because it was wrapped around my left vocal cord. Where I once had a nice voice it now sounds like Lauren Bacall after too many cigarettes. Three out of the four episodes that sent me to the hospital happened when I caught a chest cold. Once it was so bad my son called an ambulance. My main symptom was inability to take a breath in which is scary as hell. Unfortunately most doctors are not familiar with VCD so it was diagnosed as other things. One ER doc gave me a nebulizer treatment that actually made me worse. There is another term for it that more doctors are familiar with called larogynspasms (sp). The vocal cords get stuck in the closed position. I was told if it was bad enough that I would actually pass out I would automatically start breathing again. Didn't sound like fun to me.

I was smoking at the time and after the 3rd attack I quit (for the last time) and only had one episode after that. It's been 3 years since my last episode and hopefully it won't happen again but I am very careful to stay away from people with colds.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...rd-dysfunction

Old 08-29-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks again guys!

Right! I've always been trying to go the all-natural, holistic approach for issues as much as I possibly can, so I don't see myself trying that Prilosec. I think I have a very, very, very mild case of reflex anyway so that won't warrant any meds for it I'm sure. I don't wake up in the middle of the night w/ an acidic-tasting throat & morning sore throat very often...weeks can go by w/o it happening.

The speech therapist I saw for the VCD said some people have what is called "silent acid reflux". You don't have the usual symptoms but you are having reflux without being aware of it. My only clue was when I woke up twice feeling like somebody had dropped acid (not the LSD) on my tongue. Never realized it was acid reflux; just thought I was dreaming.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
...I saw an allergist who specialized in asthma several times for my asthma and he was the worst doctor I ever saw. So an allergist may be the way to go, but only a good allergist.
Thanks for the info. I might have taken my emergency inhaler a tad later than I should have when the attack came on, so by the time I started, I couldn't use it that effectively (holding breath, etc.). The attack finally went away after about 1.5 - 2 hrs. Is that the length of time attacks usually last?

What boggles me is that it came on out of the pure blue. I was just sitting calmly at my computer like always. The window was open & there was good air circulation, etc. SCARY, SCARY.

What made the allergist bad? Did he just not prescribe the right things & it was a lot of trial & error or what?

Can you (or anyone) answer my above questions/concerns in this post?

Quote:
Yes, my voice was never the same after my thyroid was removed because it was wrapped around my left vocal cord. Where I once had a nice voice it now sounds like Lauren Bacall after too many cigarettes. Three out of the four episodes that sent me to the hospital happened when I caught a chest cold. Once it was so bad my son called an ambulance. My main symptom was inability to take a breath in which is scary as hell. Unfortunately most doctors are not familiar with VCD so it was diagnosed as other things. One ER doc gave me a nebulizer treatment that actually made me worse. There is another term for it that more doctors are familiar with called larogynspasms (sp). The vocal cords get stuck in the closed position. I was told if it was bad enough that I would actually pass out I would automatically start breathing again. Didn't sound like fun to me.

I was smoking at the time and after the 3rd attack I quit (for the last time) and only had one episode after that. It's been 3 years since my last episode and hopefully it won't happen again but I am very careful to stay away from people with colds.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...rd-dysfunction
Quote:
The speech therapist I saw for the VCD said some people have what is called "silent acid reflux". You don't have the usual symptoms but you are having reflux without being aware of it. My only clue was when I woke up twice feeling like somebody had dropped acid (not the LSD) on my tongue. Never realized it was acid reflux; just thought I was dreaming.
Sorry about your ordeal. I've never smoked in my life, not even tried once. Thanks for the info & for bringing up the silent acid reflux. Once in a blue moon, I wake up w/ a little throat even though I haven't been sick, so that probably has something to do w/ it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness