Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 02:29 AM

12,704 posts, read 14,872,891 times

Advertisements

Saw my general dr yesterday & waiting to mk another pulmonologist appt soon. The gen dr so far doesn't think it was an asthma attack. She said w/ an asthma attack, I would have had troubel breathing for a few days after the incident. She thinks it's more an anxiety thing. I don't know about that, but I'll see what my pulmonologist thinks when I see him.

How long do asthma attacks normally last? How's a person's breathing usually in the few days following?

I'm still worried that that "attack" just happened out of the blue & came on very suddenly while I was jut calmly sitting at the computer in my apt w/ the window open, air purifier, & ceiling fan ON like always. That means it could happen again at ANY old random time!

(Hedgehog_Mom, thanks again for answering in my PM.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 12:14 PM

1,244 posts, read 1,368,786 times

I have been diagnosed with adult onset asthma and have seen a pulmonologist and been tested -- I have asthma along with silent reflux. Basically I was just coughing ALOT and sometimes had trouble especially at night. She gave me the full blown asthma test (hooked up to a breathing machine) and sure enough I had a pretty bad case of asthma.

Right away she put me on a heavy dose of Prilosec for several weeks along with a steroid inhaler (to curb the attacks) and a rescue inhaler in case I had an attack. Did the whole regimen -- worked really well but I did not want to stay on the Prilosec OR the steroid long term. Spoke to my regular doctor and she said I could try to manage it (now that I had it under control) with diet and exercise changes and just using the rescue inhaler. Cut down on caffeine and no large meals or late eating really helped. So far so good although I have noticed that the asthma is very very gradually returning. I might make another appointment and go back on a regimen again. Also my cat passed away and I believe that alleviated SOME symptoms but I notice that the weather also plays a part. Asthma is very weird -- but to me it feels like a tightness in my chest and a shallow, wheezing breathing. One of the things I noticed is that I was always coughing when talking on the phone -- it was the competing for air while talking and trying to breathe that caused the coughing.

Hope this helps -- best advice is to see a lung doctor and have the actual test.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:43 AM

FrannyBear, thanks a lot for sharing your experience. Coughing has actually never been an issue for me personally & neither has wheezing. My chest may feel weighed down at kind of rare times when I lay down to sleep, but then I fall asleep all night through after a while. Is chest tightness considered the same as a weighed-down feeling?

I've never had sleep issues ever in my life, including once this respiratory issue started. I can sleep all night through. When I wake up, I feel good overall.

Last spring soon after this all began, I did the CT thorax (x-ray scan) & 5 different types of breathing tests & they showed to NOT be asthma actually.

My breathing seems to have gotten worse in the last month, so I can't tell if that's just that I need to vacuum & dust around here. I hope that's all it is because that's an easier fix. I admit, I don't do it as often as I should. I need to buy a new vacuum & I got it yesterday, so I'm excited to get going!

Old 03-05-2019, 10:35 PM

86 posts, read 71,461 times
Default Vocal Cord Dysfunction, Silent Acid Reflux

Have you gone to an allergist? A good one can test you for vocal cord dysfunction which is often misdiagnosed as asthma. The acid taste in your mouth, especially if you have any extra weight, could be silent reflux if you don't have the oft talked about burning that accompanies normal acid reflux.

Eat to Live (book) helped my husband get off all the medication he was put on for these things and he lost all the weight that was probably contributing to both, quickly. We don't do the exact way of eating since more protein was needed, but pretty close. It has been a drastic change but worth it.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:40 PM

Jjwoll, thanks for the sound advice. Sounds logical. No, I never saw an allergist.

Since someone revived this thread, I'll update what's been happening:

So it's March 2019 now. My breathing's been good. I saw my pulmonologist's nurse practitioner in mid-Jan of this year. (Either he had a busier than usual schedule or he felt that my situation is no longer urgent so he passed me off to his practitioner.) My 2nd & latest chest/lung CT scan results showed that my 4mm sized lung nodule is GONE! She said I could take 1 more chest x-ray next year just to see if I want to.

The practitioner suggested that I can wean myself off of the inhalers. I hadn't taken them in a LONG time anyway way before she said this. So that was the last of my pulmonology appts unless something comes up again.

I never had another asthma attack since the one I described in this thread, thank God! About once or twice a week, I do take grape seed extract & black seed oil that I learned from the poster jaminhealth on this board that those are good for respiratory issues...don't really know if I've felt a difference from them, but as along I know it's beneficial, that's good. I also have always taken other supplements my entire life.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:58 PM

86 posts, read 71,461 times
Nice to hear your reply. I'm glad you have gotten some resolution and it is terrific that nodule is gone! God bless

Old 03-11-2019, 03:31 AM

7,181 posts, read 5,033,283 times
[quote=Forever Blue;54612209]J My 2nd & latest chest/lung CT scan results showed that my 4mm sized lung nodule is GONE!

quote]

??? "Real" nodules don't just disappear. One of the CTs was wrong-- was it the first one or the second one? A 12 month wait may be unwise. Maybe an MRI to get a different "view?"

40 y/o people don't just suddenly get asthma. If they start wheezing for the first time there's probably a cause that needs to be identified-- acid reflux, infection, drug sensitivity (often NSAIDs or beta blockers) COPD, CHF or tumors (like carcinoid syndrome). New allergies are way down the list.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:12 PM

Psalm40, thanks a lot!

guidoLaMoto, well, maybe so, but I'll keep an "eye out". I believe & have faith in God, so He can health ALL afflictions & diseases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness