U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 02:29 PM

4,956 posts, read 7,834,290 times

Advertisements

I "seemed" to have developed asthma just last yr when I turned 42, so this is all new to me. Haven't used inhalers (emergency nor steroid type) in about the last year because my breathing's been good.

I think I had my 1st asthma attack today.

I was breathing pretty frantically out of the blue w/ my mouth open for a while, heart racing, etc.

Believe it or not, I chose to ride it out here at home & not go to the ER (health ins not effective till Sept 1st), but did get dressed though in case I had to walk out the door.

The very scary thing was...I was just sitting here at the computer calmly when my breathing started getting bad. I haven't dusted/vacuumed in a while...maybe all the dust in here caught up with me even though I keep windows, fans, and air purifiers on as much as I can. OK, yes, I guess dust is ALL around me!

A couple times last night, I felt an acidic taste in my throat & had to sip a little water and was breathing fine then. I coughed a tad and (sorry, tmi) spit out a bit of mucous. (I've never gone to the dr about acid reflux.)

I guess that mucous built up a little too much. I then thought about what I ate yesterday and it was fried fish and chicken, mac and cheese, mashed potatoes with some various dipping sauces. BUT I didn't eat late at all in the day, then go to sleep. (I have no severe food allergies. It's probably at the mildest level it could be.)

Also, for about the last few wks, I've brought out this floor fan and been using it to keep cool, so maybe it's been stirring up too much dust around here lately. And I sit against a wall when I'm on my computer, so it's like the dust is stuck and I'm right in there with it with the dust being swooshed around. That's probably it, do you think?!

The best thing for me to do is be out of my apt as much as possible these next 2 days until this health insurance kicks in, so I can breathe fresh, outdoor air & hopefully avoid another attack. Then after that, worry about vacuuming & dusting.

MY GOD THAT WAS SCARY!!!!! I was praying while trying to stay calmly seated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 06:09 PM

5,803 posts, read 2,258,724 times
Have you had a prescription inhaler (either emergency short-acting or maintenance) before? A little confusing. If so, couldn't you refill either of those prescriptions or have they expired? You could have been in a "perfect storm" of triggers; the dust, the fan, outdoor allergens, all peaking at the same time, so your asthma kicked up enough into an attack. They are frightening, and the more upset you get, the worse the attack gets.

You should get your prescriptions updated and refilled.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:23 PM

23,367 posts, read 4,848,230 times
Very confusing....

do what Parnassia says...keep your meds with you at all times.
Not worth it, avoiding a MD visit because insurance has not kicked in.

Last edited by greatblueheron; 08-28-2018 at 07:27 PM..

Old 08-28-2018, 07:04 PM

23,914 posts, read 22,893,892 times
Years ago, I had bronchitis that wouldn't go away. My husband was working a lot of overtime. I thought I was going to die from lack of oxygen. The stupid doctor didn't want to give me an inhaler.

I was pretty much stuck at home for three months recovering from that infection.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:16 PM

11,010 posts, read 19,713,885 times
You could be coming down with a cold. It could be seasonal allergies. It could be the dust in the house. It could be a panic attack.

Usually during an asthma attack you will be able to breathe in, it's breathing out that will be the problem. There may be noises when you breathe in (stridor) or breathe out (wheezing). Sometimes an asthma attack will be a cough that you can't stop.

If you still have a rescue inhaler from a year ago, next time this happens, use it, even if it's expired. If it's a panic attack, the inhaler may make you feel worse, because it makes some people feel shaky.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:23 PM

6,488 posts, read 3,992,958 times
If you've been diagnosed with asthma, has your doctor discussed triggers with you?

In your place I would have moved to a less dusty environment and used an albuterol inhaler.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:27 PM

4,956 posts, read 7,834,290 times
Thanks for taking the time to post guys!

I'm getting it all taken care of! I now have an appt w/ the general dr next wk, which they said I have to see her 1st to get a referral for the pulmonologist again since I have a different insurance co. now (& I couldn't stay w/ the insurance I had).

I did have my emergency inhaler (that I hadn't used in a year), but I keep in my purse. I used it 2-3x's earlier today during the attack & I read not to use it too often in a small period of time because it increases the heartbeat. The other steroid inhaler for long-term use I have some here too...the expirations dates may be a tad passed, but they're probably still good to use. I'll get fresh refills ASAP.

Thank God this day's over!

Old 08-28-2018, 10:57 PM

3,803 posts, read 792,920 times
I’ve had severe asthma since I was a young kid, and the wildfires we’ve had in the west this summer have made things worse and I had to go to the hospital recently for treatment. I usually get really depressed when I have an asthma attack for some reason.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:23 AM

2,593 posts, read 1,414,085 times
Just throwing this out there because many months ago I came down with bronchitis/laryngitis that would not go away even with steroid treatment. It started with me going to the ER because I thought my throat would close up. These were the other symptoms I had over the course of 2 months: chest tightening, throat feeling like it will close, prickling sensation in my sinuses. Here is what the doctors looked for: allergies, asthma, inflammation of the intestine and acid reflux.

So far, allergies is the only confirmed problem and I am treating it successfully with immunatherapy. I also ripped out my carpet, gave away my cat (tests showed I was highly allergy to cats), got rid of everything my cat slept on and keep the house clutter free so I can clean it easily.Everything else has been ruled out through treatment and testing.

So now the latest suspect is non-acidic reflux because I still have one symptom left over and ,of course, it is the scary one: my throat feels tight and raw. I noticed it did this every time I ate and it didn't matter what I ate. My ENT is having me tested for hiatal hernia, but, in the meantime, he asked me to breathe so that I push my stomach out. That seems to lesson the symptom.

I am sorry if this sounds unrelated, but I took notice of your thread when you said you "seemed" to develop asthma. That was the first thing everyone suspected, adult asthma. My boss recently had similar symptoms and she was told "maybe" asthma and prescribed an inhaler. That's what they did to me as well.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:01 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,088,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks for taking the time to post guys!

I'm getting it all taken care of! I now have an appt w/ the general dr next wk, which they said I have to see her 1st to get a referral for the pulmonologist again since I have a different insurance co. now (& I couldn't stay w/ the insurance I had).

I did have my emergency inhaler (that I hadn't used in a year), but I keep in my purse. I used it 2-3x's earlier today during the attack & I read not to use it too often in a small period of time because it increases the heartbeat. The other steroid inhaler for long-term use I have some here too...the expirations dates may be a tad passed, but they're probably still good to use. I'll get fresh refills ASAP.

Thank God this day's over!
Patients with asthma has the best success seeing an Allergist who specializes in adult asthma.

Office visits and treatment for asthma by an Allergist even if you had to pay it all out of pocket is not expense. People can die from asthma, do not delay in getting help. Always carry a rescue inhaler and make sure it has not expired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or