U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 07:42 PM

85 posts, read 62,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
In addition to what everybody else said above, the intensity of x-ray radiation decreases with the square of the distance, i.e. very very rapidly. OP, I think you have nothing to worry about.
Just recently doubled-checked the location of the construction site (by cross-referencing the distance and angle from the elevators), and it is indeed right above my desk. We have low ceilings too. So I was in very close proximity to the x-ray workers and their machinery that night.

But, as I mentioned, I left the building at 11:20pm, and the building manager told me that the x-ray work only began at midnight, so I'm hoping against hope that this is true and that the contractors strictly abided by the rules and didn't think to take shortcuts and start their work earlier because they thought everyone was out of the building by then. The stomach pain, nausea, and urge to vomit that I suddenly experienced that night is very coincidental, and I'm hoping that's all it was and not a sign of radiation exposure.

Last edited by vanizorc; 09-01-2018 at 07:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 07:50 PM

85 posts, read 62,093 times
FYI - just discovered that there is actually a blood test that can demonstrate exposure to radiation. What the doctors will look for is a lowered white blood cell count and DNA damage/oddities. The results will indicate if there has been damage to the bone marrow, and if the patient has aplastic anemia as a result of the radiation.

As for whether a regular "civilian" can just go to their family doctor or a walk-in clinic to request such a test, I don't know. It may currently be a test only available to nuclear power plant workers, military personnel, and nuclear disaster victims.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:47 PM

28 posts, read 9,659 times
Let's say you were exposed. What can you do now?

Old 09-04-2018, 05:44 AM

69,336 posts, read 79,526,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanizorc View Post
We have low ceilings in our office building, and the workers above were directly above me, from their footsteps that I could hear. I was concerned because the gamma and x-ray machines used in industrial radiography are not contained in a specialized room or anything; they are out in the open. And we all know ionizing radiation like x-rays can pass through walls/floors/ceilings.
I am not a medical person but I have to say it appears you are concerned about nothing. You left the building long before the work started and your symptoms do not sound like they were related to any type of exposure. Being concerned is understandable but you need to relax and not get worked up over this

Old 09-04-2018, 06:54 AM

13,175 posts, read 10,591,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am not a medical person but I have to say it appears you are concerned about nothing. You left the building long before the work started and your symptoms do not sound like they were related to any type of exposure. Being concerned is understandable but you need to relax and not get worked up over this

The workers that were using the equipment were there for the duration of the exposures and I bet many of them were only a minimal 'safe' distance at the time. They could have been in close proximity to the equipment all the time. They also probably do more than one of these jobs every year; maybe all the time? Of course they would probably wear a radiation monitoring badges.

Part of the OP's problem with this is that it was 'announced' so there would be no problems. It was announced as a precaution and not that everybody was going to die a horrible death if they were still in the building when the equipment was turned on. I presume they did this testing to make sure the building was 'safe'. Perhaps it is in an earthquake zone or was subjected to high winds in recent history? Or it could have been an overdue study of the structure?

The OP should just keep in mind that the technicians, doing the work, do this all the time and we do not hear about them dying. There are infamous spots around the globe that naturally emit radiation: Hot Spots: Earth's 5 Most Naturally Radioactive Places - WebEcoist. It looks like most of them have no problems with the higher radiation levels; but I do not know how well they were studied?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or