U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 11:04 AM

4,672 posts, read 2,019,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
This is obviously a sign of pre-diabetes. A normal person drinks 2 cups of water even before bed would only end up going to the bathroom once in the middle of the night and once in the morning.

Frequent urination especially at night is a sign of high blood sugar with insulin resistance. Check the link below and see if any of the other symptoms applies.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20355278
What? It is not obviously a sign of prediabetes. As many have pointed out, in men it can be a sign of prostate issues and in women it can be something that happens after pregnancy or due to hormonal changes. I don’t know how old the OP is, but bladder problems are *very* common in women over 50 and they are not typically because all women become diabetic when they turn 50.

It can also be a sign that she is drinking something that has a mild diuretic effect. Carbonation, artificial sweeteners, caffeination, and many other things irritate the bladder and can cause more frequent urination. The OP might have a more sensitive bladder wholly unrelated to her insulin/blood sugar levels. She might also not have a large bladder to start with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2019, 01:06 PM

5,379 posts, read 6,603,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Saw Palmetto, standardized extract 85-95% fatty acids and sterols; pygeum, stinging nettle, pumpkin seed oil. If you can find these in a pill “cocktail” one, all, or a combo may work.

You must take it over a period of several weeks, more than a month, to see results. Three in the morning, three at night.

Seems like a subtle improvement at first. You realize it is actually working when you stop taking it after a couple of days. That’s when you know it is working. YMMV.
These are all supplements for BPH. I doubt the OP as an enlarged prostate.

BTW, I do have an enlarged prostate and have tried all of these supplements. None of them work.

Old 11-24-2019, 12:02 AM

9,567 posts, read 3,271,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Saw Palmetto, standardized extract 85-95% fatty acids and sterols; pygeum, stinging nettle, pumpkin seed oil. If you can find these in a pill “cocktail” one, all, or a combo may work.

You must take it over a period of several weeks, more than a month, to see results. Three in the morning, three at night.

Seems like a subtle improvement at first. You realize it is actually working when you stop taking it after a couple of days. That’s when you know it is working. YMMV.

This "snake-oil" type remedy has been proven in extensive tests to be of no value in decreasing prostate enlargement. But it has been shown to cause impotence in some men. Save your money.

Old 11-28-2019, 03:51 AM

2,550 posts, read 971,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfangle9 View Post
I'm 66 and I very rarely have to get up to urinate anymore. About five or six years ago I was getting up two or three times a night. I kept hearing ads for a product called Super Beta Prostate on the radio. They ran for a long time even after the weight loss snake oil pill ads disappeared. I decided to give it a try just because they advertised for so long. Within a week I noticed some improvement and before long I was only getting up once. Within a month I wasn't getting up at all. I took the pills for about two years and then decided to stop to see what might happen. It's been at least two years now since I took it, and I still don't get up to pee until I wake up in the morning. I don't think it's any kind of placebo effect because I ordered the stuff convinced it wouldn't work. I just looked them up before posting this and it is available now at places like Walmart, cvs etc.
For males...this^^^^^

For everyone older, do not stop drinking water. Its too easy for elderly to get dehydrated. My 80 yr old mom did that, and ended up with a uti, went on bactrim and due to uti, dehydration the bactrim knocked out her kidnets and caused acute kidney failure. She died a month and a half later after 7 dialysis treatments.

Old 11-28-2019, 01:38 PM

2,148 posts, read 935,270 times
I wake up at least 2 times to go, but I go right back to sleep.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:39 PM

1,053 posts, read 357,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
What? It is not obviously a sign of prediabetes. As many have pointed out, in men it can be a sign of prostate issues and in women it can be something that happens after pregnancy or due to hormonal changes. I don’t know how old the OP is, but bladder problems are *very* common in women over 50 and they are not typically because all women become diabetic when they turn 50.

It can also be a sign that she is drinking something that has a mild diuretic effect. Carbonation, artificial sweeteners, caffeination, and many other things irritate the bladder and can cause more frequent urination. The OP might have a more sensitive bladder wholly unrelated to her insulin/blood sugar levels. She might also not have a large bladder to start with.
Actually, I discovered that I have a ball of some type near my bladder or kidney (not an expert on these things). Lately I haven't had so much pain because I've knocked off some of the supplements to ease constipation, but now you're reminding me I must speak to my primary care physician about that ball I felt.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I wake up at least 2 times to go, but I go right back to sleep.
I am wearing incontinence pads, panties, and have a mat on my bed. If I'm very, very tired, it bothers me greatly to get up, and sometimes I have to urinate a lot, like 5 times or more. I don't want to take a pill for this because last time I took it (a long time ago), it made me more constipated than usual, and I'm usually constipated. So I stopped taking it.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
For males...this^^^^^

For everyone older, do not stop drinking water. Its too easy for elderly to get dehydrated. My 80 yr old mom did that, and ended up with a uti, went on bactrim and due to uti, dehydration the bactrim knocked out her kidnets and caused acute kidney failure. She died a month and a half later after 7 dialysis treatments.
So sorry to hear that. I know water or liquid is important for the body. Now I'm wondering how much water should a person drink each day? I know the amount seems to vary from information to information. I try to remember to drink water as much as possible, it's usually by my side. And you just reminded me. I'm 76. Never thought I'd live this long.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post

Yeah. RamenAddict. I finally bought some ramen noodles after a long siege of dieting because they are tasty. (And cheap) I add veggies to them. :-) I enjoyed them and bought more. Well maybe we can talk about ramen noodles and recipes like that in another thread. :-)
I do notice that after I drank certain calorie-free beverages, I had almost immediately (like 10 minutes after) a painful urge to urinate. Since I finally figured out what particular drink it was, I stopped getting it. So since these conversations, I am being more mindful as to other things I'm drinking with additives or sweeteners. It's hard to be a purist in today's day and age, and I've been drinking sugar free sodas for decades, finally stopped for the most part, though.

Old Today, 12:43 AM

85 posts, read 4,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
If your blood pressure med is a diuretic, it could also be part of the problem though.
That's what came to my mind too. Some medications can cause it. Being post-menopausal can cause it, due to low estrogen. You may want to pinpoint the reasons with the help of a doctor, so you can start sleeping soundly again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness