Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 07:02 AM

898 posts, read 597,716 times

Advertisements

Nobody here is butt chewing.... we just want you to get to the doctor ASAP and get some tests done....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 08:38 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Have your thread closed...
you asked, we told you.

Over and out.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Damn. Now you all have me concerned. Everything feels good but this occasional minor pain that is pretty spaced out. But yeah, maybe I'll get going.
I will take the other side; like you I have experienced pains a few times. In fact one time I did go to ER. I was fine and the ER doctor told me, if you have a mild pain off and on for a few days, chances are it has nothing to do with your heart. If it did, you would have other symptoms after a few hours. So many things can cause chest pains. Now, to be on the safe side, you may want to consult with your doctor. He or she will want to see you and probably do an EKG. I do think the clue here, which some may be missing is: Op has had this pain off and on now for a few days. If this just happened and he had been exercising or something it would be different. It is true, you go to ER, tell them you are having chest pains and you will be see immediately

Old 09-07-2018, 01:35 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,896 times
When I had my first heart attack I had been having pain for a week. They did an EKG and it was normal they were going to give me antacids and send me home but since I did have a history of angina they did have the cardiologist see me, He said there was probably nothing wrong but they would keep me in overnight and do an angiogram in the morning. When they did it, they found that one of the heart vessels was 98% blocked and I ended up with two stents.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:24 PM

3,095 posts, read 2,000,436 times
There's no reason to avoid going to see a medical pro. I used to work for drs & as another said, chest pain symptoms make you cut to first in line. In fact, whenever someone came into the clinic, they were checked out immediately by the dr, then sent right to the ER for testing, so save a step & get to the closest ER.

BTW, the only time I was ever screamed at at work was when I was a teen working for a dr & a man came in with chest pains. He looked fine, just scared... meaning, he wasn't clutching his chest, saying he felt he was having a heart attack. I was a kid... I had him filling out forms, like everyone does & when the nurse leaned over & asked me what he was there for & I said chest pains, the staff flew over the counter, brought him in the back & called an ambulance to retrieve him from the room... didn't even let him walk 10 steps to the front. I had 3 days of hate for not interrupting everyone & ushering him back immediately.

Lastly, if you have to ask, go. And, why ask us? Even if someone is a dr here, s/he wouldn't dare diagnose via 'net... s/he'd tell you to go to the closest ER or call an ambulance.

Good luck, feel better & never ask a msg board about possible life threatening issues.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:31 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Sorry for the delay. I have not gone in and I'm ready for the butt-chewing. It happened a few times yesterday and not again all night and not yet today. The lack of anything else has me feeling I'll be wasting everyone's time by going. I know I'm giving dumb excuses but I'm a guy.

I'll give you an even better reason not to go. If you do have a serious problem that kills you, you will become an Eternal Member. Not only will you receive hundreds of thousands of rep points, but someone will start a thread just for you.

I'm sure that our Eternal Members enjoy the festivities, but none has ever posted after receiving that honor.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:49 PM

You're a guy? What does that have to do with not checking it out?

You're not using your common sense, OP. I see it as 2 choices... your dr leaning over you saying you're lucky you checked it out, whether you are having heart issues or not... or, your dr leaning over you saying to your next of kin, you're a foolish man to have waited.

Heart Attack: Improving the Odds

"According to the study, the chance of surviving an out−of−hospital heart attack long enough to be eventually discharged from a hospital is only 7.6%, roughly 1 out of 13. While knowledge of how to treat heart attacks has increased substantially, this has not translated into more lives saved."

https://www.cdc.gov/dhdsp/data_stati..._men_heart.htm
  • "Heart disease is the leading cause of death for men in the United States—1 in 4
  • Heart disease is the leading cause of death for men of most racial/ethnic groups
  • Half of the men who die suddenly of coronary heart disease have no previous symptoms
  • Between 70% and 89% of sudden cardiac events occur in men"

Old 09-07-2018, 04:04 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,240,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I'm not sure why you're posting here if you know you're going to get a "butt-chewing" but you refuse to do anything about it.
I can handle the butt-chewing from those here. To answer someone else's question. No on the exercise. A foot injury has me doing nothing more than walking at this point.

I've decided to go in if it should happen again. So far nothing today.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:20 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
I can handle the butt-chewing from those here. To answer someone else's question. No on the exercise. A foot injury has me doing nothing more than walking at this point.

I've decided to go in if it should happen again. So far nothing today.
Please do go if it happens again. I had exactly ONE chest pain in the afternoon, followed by my widowmaker heart attack at 2 AM with subsequent heart stoppage. Fortunately I had reached the ER by then. If I hadn't called the rescue squad I'd have died on my bedroom floor. I had no previous pains, high BP, or any other heart symptoms. All this was only 3 months ago, and I can tell you sincerely that it's NOT something you want to go through.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnSafari View Post
My sister had chest pains off and on for 4 days. Refused to go to doctor. Her husband found her dead on the 4th day - she was 57. RIP.
I'm sorry to hear of your loss, RBOS.

Sadly, I think many of us know of such a person, once close to us, who experienced the same.

I had a neighbor who died of a heart attack at 52 at home, even though he had terrible chest pains for hours. Turns out he had the same thing several years before & went to the ER... they said it was gas pains & he left, terribly embarrassed. So, when it happened again, he ignored it.

Gary Shandling died at 66 of a heart attack (& a drug was involved), but the important thing is, he had chest & left arm pains, called a friend who told him he was a hypocondriac, then called his dr who told him not to worry about it. He died in his home next day.

There's also a singer, Laura Branigan, who died of a brain aneurysm in her home in '04 at 52. Had horrendous off & on headaches for weeks & relatives urged her to go to the hospital. She said they'd pass. They didn't, she did.

I'm only writing these stories as I'm hoping the OP or someone else wondering the same will see them & perhaps check out symptoms. Especially if one has health insurance, it's silly not to.

My mum had a mini-stroke a couple of years ago. It's left her with some vision loss & floaters in 1 eye. She had symptoms for many months but didn't want to spend $15 on a co-pay... & it's not like she can't afford it... she can. Sometimes I have to almost yell at her to get her to go to the dr... I always say, "So you'll take death over spending $15? I'll give you the bloody $15. Go to the dr or I'll call them & schedule an appt for you from 600-mi away."

I don't have health ins, but if I had chest pains, I'd go to the ER. I'll figure out how to pay the b$ll later, alive from my living room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness