U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2018, 08:30 AM

12 posts, read 13,229 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am a new tib fib injury. Here's a summary:
1. Aug 22 - walking barefoot. My kids were fighting upstairs and I was walking down our stairs. I stopped before taking the last step, so I could yell at them to stop fightin. Turned around to take a step, missed it...and fell while trying to catch my fall with my right leg - crack, crack - tib fib. Most excruciating painful experience.

2. Aug 23 - Surgery. Tianium rod in my tibia (spiral fracture) with various screws, plate on my fibula with more screws.

3. NWB. Using crutches. Unable to sleep because of the splint they put on. Heavy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Sept 6 - First follow up with the ortho. They like my progress...surprised the swelling is not too bad. They took xrays and took off that awful splint that felt like it weighed 20 pounds. I am now in a fiberglass cast...finally able to sleep a few hours during the night.

5. Pain: I guess it's tolerable. I am on a schedule of 2 Tylenol every 6 hours and 2 Motrin every 6 hours. So basically I alternate every 3 hours. I asked the ortho about the risk of Motrin affecting bone healing/growth...she said the evidence is pretty much inconclusive either way. Her position was that it would help with inflammation which would lead to quicker recovery, which would lead to being weight bearing sooner, which would lead to quicker bone healing...basically a domino effect.

6. Going back to the ortho in 2 weeks where they will take xray and if all goes well get an air boot. Hopefully that means I will be weight bearing.

A little bit about me: 38 years old, 2 kids, 1 wonderful wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 08:52 AM

17,583 posts, read 3,567,272 times
Feel better soon.

Go upstairs and confront them directly next time...or yell with both feet planted firmly on the floor.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:08 AM

69,332 posts, read 79,508,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manito2000 View Post
1. Aug 22 - walking barefoot. My kids were fighting upstairs and I was walking down our stairs. I stopped before taking the last step, so I could yell at them to stop fightin. Turned around to take a step, missed it...and fell while trying to catch my fall with my right leg - crack, crack - tib fib. Most excruciating painful experience.

2. Aug 23 - Surgery. Tianium rod in my tibia (spiral fracture) with various screws, plate on my fibula with more screws.

3. NWB. Using crutches. Unable to sleep because of the splint they put on. Heavy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Sept 6 - First follow up with the ortho. They like my progress...surprised the swelling is not too bad. They took xrays and took off that awful splint that felt like it weighed 20 pounds. I am now in a fiberglass cast...finally able to sleep a few hours during the night.

5. Pain: I guess it's tolerable. I am on a schedule of 2 Tylenol every 6 hours and 2 Motrin every 6 hours. So basically I alternate every 3 hours. I asked the ortho about the risk of Motrin affecting bone healing/growth...she said the evidence is pretty much inconclusive either way. Her position was that it would help with inflammation which would lead to quicker recovery, which would lead to being weight bearing sooner, which would lead to quicker bone healing...basically a domino effect.

6. Going back to the ortho in 2 weeks where they will take xray and if all goes well get an air boot. Hopefully that means I will be weight bearing.

I would probably still yell at them from downstairs. I would just be careful how I was walking and make sure both feet were where the belong.

Get better soon and thanks for the humorous advise but I am sure it isn't humorous to you.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:49 AM

13,119 posts, read 17,658,319 times
Oh my gosh I hope you heal soon . Kids make ya crazy at times .

Old 09-07-2018, 02:31 PM

3,050 posts, read 1,034,591 times
Quote:
That will heal and you will walk normally again.

Doing much the same and acquiring a quad tear that failed reattachment, now...

Old 09-07-2018, 04:04 PM

2,483 posts, read 1,299,320 times
I had a tibial osteotomy in may and it’s been a brutal recovery. Definitely do what they tell you to do and don’t overdo it. I’m just now able to really walk a lot and even then there is pain where my screws are. I also developed CRPS but that’s extremely rare so hopefully you don’t go down that road.

I’m surprised you’re off narcotics already. I tried at 2 weeks but quickly went back on them.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:18 PM

10,864 posts, read 18,910,587 times
I had a spiral fracture of the fibula ten years ago.

After my injury, it took about a year before I could walk without pain. I was on narcotic painkillers for three months after the injury. I tried to do without them but it just wasn't happening.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:13 PM

27,521 posts, read 17,660,829 times
That's why I believe in remote shock collars.

And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 09-07-2018, 07:00 PM

7,105 posts, read 2,217,613 times
Quote:

Our own homes are the most hazardous places we can be. The bathtub, stairs, slippery patio surfaces, kitchen explosions and fires and workshop tools that gouge into us, are worse than conditions at work or traveling around town. I'm not looking forward to my overdue job of blowing tree debris off my roof. One false step and down I go!

Good luck to you in rehabilitating that leg. Adaptive Physical Ed., helping people overcome or accommodate physical impairments, was one of my jobs, so I know what the complications can be. I'd taper off on those pain-relievers as much as possible. They do reduce the body's ability to maintain itself or heal in some cases. And they do cause a buildup of body fluids, in your system's attempt to dilute their toxicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or