Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 06:02 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
I agree, drink plenty of plain water. I wash with Ivory soap. My skin has never been better, and I have always had oily skin.
I have to say, I would never use Ivory soap (bar soap?) on any part of my body. Bar soap is the worst...and the deoderants in it are just gross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poprocksncoke View Post
I was just wondering if anyone could recomend products to clear up skin. My face recently started breaking out, I suppose maybe from stress, maybe also from changing as I get older.
I have tried Mary Kay products, but they seem to be a little heavy for my skin, clogging up my pores more. I have tried Clean and Clear acne spot treatment, and that works, but you put it on when you already have a spot on your face, I don't want to wait until I already have one!

I change my pillow case every other day too to keep it from coming.. but apparently, my face doesn't care about that nice gesture either.

Any ideas?
Zits come from clogged pores.

- What are you putting on your face that might be clogging the pores? Some moisturizers can do this. Maybe you don't need moisturizer? I use Clinique Daily Moisturizer ($23 a bottle) but only when I need it, which is not often. My skin is oily enough.

- Defoliate. Go online and order AHA gel 10-15 percent and start putting it on your face 2x a day. You might have to start slow to get your skin used to hit. I've been using it for years. You can purchase it here (or find it elsewhere for less): DCL AHA Revitalizing Gel 15 4 oz.

- Wash well. Cetaphil is the best for washing the face. You can add a little Baking Soda to it to make it a bit of a scrub. After you wash, try steaming your face over a pot of hot water and then put a little Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) on a piece of cotton and use it to close the pores. If the ACV is too strong, mix in some water.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:22 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,619,016 times
I have extremely sensitive skin. I've been using this line for over 10 years now and I love it.......good luck. Jeannie

Principal Secret

Old 10-12-2007, 11:15 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,065,723 times
Quote:
What are you putting on your face that might be clogging the pores? Some moisturizers can do this. Maybe you don't need moisturizer? I use Clinique Daily Moisturizer ($23 a bottle) but only when I need it, which is not often. My skin is oily enough.
Your face is producing oil because it is dry. If you would wash and moisturize twice a day your face would stop producing an over abundance of oil. It produces oil to make up for the lack of moisture.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyR View Post
I'm much older (almost 50) and I've recently started Laser Skin Treatments. It helps with several things including regeneration of your own skins collegan. It costs about $400 for the 1-hour session (IOWA).

I've had "tons" of other more extensive treatments too. Like Plastic Surgery. But that's the last resort for some of us. 43 (+/-) procedures (so far). LOL
I go back 3-2007. Whew!

Best Wishes to you, Peggy
I've heard about this. Is it called IPO? Laser Pulse?

How is it working for you?

Greenie

Old 10-15-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Try that Proactive stuff you see on TV. My cousin swears by it. When I was in my 20's and I had acne from pregnancy, my doctor told me not to use Clean and Clear or Clearisil or any of that stuff. He explained that that stuff is made for adolescents and kids going through their "puberty" acne. What we get as adults is entirely different so that stuff won't work on adult acne. I don't know how accurate that is but I noticed that the stuff wasn't working for me so I stopped. Now, if I get a "zit", I just leave it alone or put vitamin E (the liquid gels) on them.

Hope that helps
A lot of that stuff contains Salicylic acid, which is basically aspirin. It works by sloughing off the top layer of skin and unclogging the pours. You can ground up some aspirin and add it to your cleanser or lotion or whatever. I'm a firm believer that you do not have to spend big money on skin cleansers and such.

Greenie

Old 10-15-2007, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
Your face is producing oil because it is dry. If you would wash and moisturize twice a day your face would stop producing an over abundance of oil. It produces oil to make up for the lack of moisture.
I do wash twice a day. My dermatoligist told me I do not need a moisturizer because my skin is oily enough. If you overmoisturize oily skin, you end up with clogged pores, which leads to bumps...

Greenie

Old 10-15-2007, 11:31 AM

Oil is not moisture.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:06 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
Earniefan,

Quote:
Oil is not moisture.
Now that was an interesting comment. Can you enlarge on it? I have never thought of that before and always thought it was the same.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:30 AM

I've always been told that your face will produce oil if it is dry. Which is why you end up with oily skin if you don't moisturize. If your face gets moisture from another source, then it doesn't need to produce so much oil. It's the oil that your face produces that clogs your pores, not moisturizer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness