U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 05:26 AM

13,362 posts, read 7,121,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
$1500 x 8 = $12,000 per day, x 5 days = $60,000 per week, x 4.2 = $252,000 per month, x 12 = $3,024,000 per year.

(Math is not my strong suit, so if I have made an errors, please advise).

Do you think this is excessive for "overhead?"
Ha - maybe I took this wrong but I thought it was a jab at the earlier post of doctors getting $200/15 min. Of course everyone knows that money certainly doesn't go just to the doctor and actually the reimbursement rate isn't that anyway...and not every slot is booked, etc., etc.

I get sick of people blaming doctors when they should be blaming the sky-high administrative insurance costs - they are middlemen who don't help the system at all.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:31 AM

81 posts, read 27,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
How do you deal with ensuring that the doctor does not waste your money or time? For example: say you go to the doctor because you have ringing in your ears. The doctor looks into your ears, checks your BP then tells you to wait and see if it goes away and if it does not then to come back. You ask him what is wrong and he say he does not know. Then bills you $250 for the visit.
I'm a physician and have been monitoring this conversation with some interest. I understand your frustration, and would never excuse a colleague who was unprofessional or discourteous. But, without having all the details of your experience, I'd offer that it's not unusual to lack a ready answer to a patient's problem. And, sometimes, the perspective of time either reveals the diagnosis or provides an opportunity for the problem to resolve. It's not an exact process.

Regarding the billing, we are providing time and expertise, for which we are entitled to charge.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:10 PM

2,608 posts, read 1,113,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The fact that you had insurance, made it easier for the doctor to speed you through that minimal procedure and boot you out the door. if you'd had to pay out of pocket, it's likely you'd have gotten more attention.
$90 was our out-of-pocket! That's the pi$$er. And when we did not have insurance and I had a kidney stone, they wanted to charge me like 4X what an insurance co. would settle for. The original bill was $40,000 for a few hours in the hospital to get lithotropsy. It's criminal.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:19 PM

4,844 posts, read 5,903,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
$90 was our out-of-pocket! That's the pi$$er. And when we did not have insurance and I had a kidney stone, they wanted to charge me like 4X what an insurance co. would settle for. The original bill was $40,000 for a few hours in the hospital to get lithotropsy. It's criminal.
I have a PPO that is not cheap. An ER visit will coast me $1000 out of pocket. I have a $30 copay for my GP, and a $50 copay for my neurologist.

It is out of hand and we need to demand single payer.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:51 PM

18,804 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I have a PPO that is not cheap. An ER visit will coast me $1000 out of pocket. I have a $30 copay for my GP, and a $50 copay for my neurologist.

It is out of hand and we need to demand single payer.
Well we have someone fighting for health care for all, would single payer be like Medicare which works great. Would it be like Medicare for all. How can we demand it, it's not happening with the person who has been fighting for it..

Old 09-12-2018, 03:54 PM

172 posts, read 67,197 times
Last year I moved and needed a new Rheumy to treat my fibromyalgia. The "doctor" talked my ear off about random crap, then told me she will not treat me because she didn't know how and referred me to a psychiatrist down the hall that will give me the drugs I need (wtf?) Then wrote me prescription for Ultram (I threw it out). And flagged my chart with "uses high risk drugs" because I use Tramadol (half dose once a day) and Ambien for sleep. And I got charged $400 as a new high level of care patient. After arguing with insurance and these quacks I had to pay it or get sent to collections. ETA: I did find an excellent doctor a month later. ETA2: I did show her my medicine list from my previous Rheumy (for 10 years, it was what I was hoping to continue, as I was able to hold down a job and enjoy my hobbies) but she didn't care.

Last edited by piperdiva; 09-12-2018 at 04:12 PM..

Old 09-12-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Well we have someone fighting for health care for all, would single payer be like Medicare which works great. Would it be like Medicare for all. How can we demand it, it's not happening with the person who has been fighting for it..
First we have to get the people out of congress who take money from the insurance companies. Then we also have to elect people who will make healthcare a priority - hint - its not Republicans. If we demand it from our leaders they will have to listen. We demand it by voting every single election.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperdiva View Post
Last year I moved and needed a new Rheumy to treat my fibromyalgia. The "doctor" talked my ear off about random crap, then told me she will not treat me because she didn't know how and referred me to a psychiatrist down the hall that will give me the drugs I need (wtf?) Then wrote me prescription for Ultram (I threw it out). And flagged my chart with "uses high risk drugs" because I use Tramadol (half dose once a day) and Ambien for sleep. And I got charged $400 as a new high level of care patient. After arguing with insurance and these quacks I had to pay it or get sent to collections. ETA: I did find an excellent doctor a month later.
Wow, that is horrible. No one should be treated that way. And there should be no flagging of charts, unless the person is obviously pill seeking.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:49 PM

953 posts, read 605,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I once went on a medication that caused it (topamax)
That does a number with me. It messes up my "citrate" levels, which in turn gives me kidney stones. Took a while for my doctor to figure out what was going on.

However, it's the only medication that stops my seizures.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:53 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,233,815 times
At least you're not misdiagnosed!!!! My husband had Lyme disease and the doctor tried to tell us it was ringworm. He had an anxiety attack and they wanted to do an angiogram on him. I had low iron and they gave me an antihistamine.

Most doctors don't have a flippin clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or