U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-09-2018, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Lakeland, Florida
6,681 posts, read 11,899,593 times
Reputation: 7889

Advertisements

Has anyone found a satisfactory eye drop for this condition. Dry Eye. I was using Vicine. The condition got worse here in Fla, and the optometrist had me try TheraTears. I don't see much improvement, even using drops 4 times a day.

I'm guessing all the a.c. and fans blowing down here is aggravating this condition.

Last edited by Jimrob1; 09-09-2018 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-11-2018, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Prescott AZ
5,843 posts, read 8,429,491 times
Reputation: 10712
You read my mind. I was just going to ask that question. I used Restasis for years, but the eye doc said I needed to use it every single day without skipping. So now I use Systane and it seems to work just as well and I don't do it every day. Am wondering if anyone has found anything better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2018, 06:19 AM
 
Location: Lakeland, Florida
6,681 posts, read 11,899,593 times
Reputation: 7889
I bought some Similason, that was recommended by a CD poster. It seems ok but I've only used it 1 day now. I think I'm probably headed towards Restasis also. I've never had this condition this bad, until this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2018, 06:34 AM
 
250 posts, read 115,754 times
Reputation: 783
https://www.amazon.com/Bausch-Lomb-S.../dp/B0013ND3XY

Bausch and Lomb Soothe Lubricant Eye Ointment. It is meant for night time use but you can use it during the day. Because it is oil based it is very comfortable and lasts all day. Squeeze a tiny drop on the smooth end of a tweezers and deposit on the center inside lower eyelid. If you are going to be reading (you will not notice any issues until you read, the oils may make it difficult to read small print), give it a couple of hours to disperse across the eye, wear reading glasses (enlarges the print and solves that problem) or wait until after you read to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2018, 06:58 AM
 
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
1,653 posts, read 629,266 times
Reputation: 3310
We all "dry up" as we age- make less tears, saliva, skin oils. Dry eyes are also part of the Sicca Syndrome and that includes rheumatoid arthritis.


Eye drops are not a "cure"-- they just replace the scanty tears-- you gotta use them many times a day because tears naturally drain thru the tear ducts. Use any generic, cheap "natural tears" product. You could make your own with 1/4 tsp salt in 8oz water-- but sterility is a problem with homemade stuff, as it is with the proprietary preps, too. [Tap water often is loaded with Pseudomanas-- nasty for your eyes.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2018, 07:19 AM
 
Location: East of the Mississippi and South of Bluegrass
4,099 posts, read 3,388,567 times
Reputation: 8651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I bought some Similason, that was recommended by a CD poster. It seems ok but I've only used it 1 day now. I think I'm probably headed towards Restasis also. I've never had this condition this bad, until this year.
Is dry eye your only eye problem, do you have cataracts and/or glaucoma as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2018, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Central IL
13,362 posts, read 7,128,759 times
Reputation: 31065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Bausch-Lomb-S.../dp/B0013ND3XY

Bausch and Lomb Soothe Lubricant Eye Ointment. It is meant for night time use but you can use it during the day. Because it is oil based it is very comfortable and lasts all day. Squeeze a tiny drop on the smooth end of a tweezers and deposit on the center inside lower eyelid. If you are going to be reading (you will not notice any issues until you read, the oils may make it difficult to read small print), give it a couple of hours to disperse across the eye, wear reading glasses (enlarges the print and solves that problem) or wait until after you read to use.
Just a note - I was checking these out for myself but see that they should not be used if you wear contacts - maybe the mineral oil and petrolatum break down or coat your contacts? Anyway, OP didn't mention wearing contacts so it may not be an issue for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2018, 08:39 AM
 
14,649 posts, read 29,700,640 times
Reputation: 17216
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
We all "dry up" as we age- make less tears, saliva, skin oils. Dry eyes are also part of the Sicca Syndrome and that includes rheumatoid arthritis.


Eye drops are not a "cure"-- they just replace the scanty tears-- you gotta use them many times a day because tears naturally drain thru the tear ducts. Use any generic, cheap "natural tears" product. You could make your own with 1/4 tsp salt in 8oz water-- but sterility is a problem with homemade stuff, as it is with the proprietary preps, too. [Tap water often is loaded with Pseudomanas-- nasty for your eyes.]
I have dry eyes and used to use castor oil at night, which I had seen recommended even by some eye doctors. I really didn't like it however, and thought it was causing me problems, so now I make a spray out of distilled water and a small amount of dissolved sea salt and epsom salt. I put in a mister and mist it into my eyes. It works WONDERS! I used to have chronic, bloodshot eyes and my eyes are white now - no need for visine!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2018, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Austin
644 posts, read 270,289 times
Reputation: 657
I use Systane because it doesn't have benzalkonium chloride. I used to use the little single use vials but they're expensive and over time you generate a huge amount of plastic waste
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2018, 10:38 AM
 
18,807 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Reputation: 12679
I use eye supports and for 80 yrs my eyes can be dry. But I find when I BLINK more often, have to remind myself, I generate tears. So much starring at the computers for one thing that is making it all worse. I have no eye diseases and continue with my supports and BLINK more.

But again as we age, it all drys out. Gotta keep the body oiled as best we know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top