U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 06:48 PM

4,856 posts, read 1,364,119 times

Advertisements

(Something else to worry about.)

Preventing Muscle Loss as We Age
By Jane Brody

It begins as early as age 40 and, without intervention, gets increasingly worse, with as much as half of muscle mass lost by age 70. (If youíre wondering, itís replaced by fat and fibrous tissue, making muscles resemble a well-marbled steak.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/03/w...e-elderly.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 07:05 PM

13,407 posts, read 7,146,559 times
Mmmmmmmm.....steak.....!

I'd read this when it came out - I was disappointed that it seemed to focus on the very oldest and weakest - clearly they are most at risk and can most use some remediation. But I'd more like to know what I can do in my 50's to maintain NOW. And suggestions on how far to go while keeping my risk of injury down.

But carrying 10 pounds? Going up one flight of stairs? It would be hard coming back from that low level of fitness.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:51 AM

1,366 posts, read 657,990 times
Yoga works for me, keeps my muscles toned, gives me strength, and keeps me flexible. I'm in my late 60s.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:55 AM

18,891 posts, read 6,176,358 times
I've done strengthening work all my life and at 80 I still use TheraBands for strengthening. I was down for some months with a staph infection in knee and that really set me back.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:58 AM

4,855 posts, read 5,914,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Mmmmmmmm.....steak.....!

I'd read this when it came out - I was disappointed that it seemed to focus on the very oldest and weakest - clearly they are most at risk and can most use some remediation. But I'd more like to know what I can do in my 50's to maintain NOW. And suggestions on how far to go while keeping my risk of injury down.

But carrying 10 pounds? Going up one flight of stairs? It would be hard coming back from that low level of fitness.
Start lifting weights. Start with low weights and then increase them as you progress. Another thing to work on is balance. If you can strengthen your core and do balance exercises you will be able to stay on your feet. As older women falling and breaking a hip is a very hard thing to come back from.
If you do not have access to a gym you can find lots of exercises you can do at home on Youtube.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:15 PM

4,204 posts, read 1,563,266 times
Remember the old adage:

"Use it or lose it!"

Old 09-12-2018, 07:36 PM

3,421 posts, read 934,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
(Something else to worry about.)

Preventing Muscle Loss as We Age
By Jane Brody

It begins as early as age 40 and, without intervention, gets increasingly worse, with as much as half of muscle mass lost by age 70. (If youíre wondering, itís replaced by fat and fibrous tissue, making muscles resemble a well-marbled steak.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/03/w...e-elderly.html
You don't need intervention! Just don't sit 100 percent of your waking hours.

It is NOT normal or natural to lose muscle at that rate!

Old 09-13-2018, 06:43 PM

231 posts, read 185,529 times
We are all gonna die anyway so who cares? You can only do what you feel able and have time to do, while still enjoying family, friends and wonderful things to eat, in moderation. Read Erma Bombeck's a column she wrote while fighting cancer.

If I had My Life to Live Over by Erma Bombeck

Old 09-13-2018, 06:43 PM

1,664 posts, read 634,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Remember the old adage:

"Use it or lose it!"

Exactly.

Muscle is not "replaced" by anything as we age. If not stressed, muscle atrophies-- at any age. We tend to be less active as we age-- painful arthritis, retirement, etc and we exercise/work less.

One can keep muscle mass by routinely stressing the muscles and eating enough protein. The one caveat for those older people with too much enthusiasm is that you can't prevent the aging/weakening of the attachments of tendons to bones: you can evulse a tendon with too vigorous a movement.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:39 AM

9,126 posts, read 3,940,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterK View Post
We are all gonna die anyway so who cares? You can only do what you feel able and have time to do, while still enjoying family, friends and wonderful things to eat, in moderation. Read Erma Bombeck's a column she wrote while fighting cancer.

If I had My Life to Live Over by Erma Bombeck

I loved Erma Bombeck and I actually have that piece she wrote saved in a scrapbook.

Now back to the subject. I started back to the gym about 7 or 8 weeks ago because I had a serious illness & hospitalization in November of last year. I lost somewhere around 10-12 pounds which I did need to lose but saw the flab that remained and I felt so weak for months. I now go to the gym 3-4 times a week, use the treadmill for anywhere from 20-40 minutes with part of that time on a pretty high incline and then do another 30 minutes of weights. I don't want to wind up with a broken hip or need my children's help to get out of bed and I especially don't want to end my days in a nursing home if at all possible. I want to die on the treadmill or lifting weights in my 80's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness