U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2018, 04:58 PM

258 posts, read 116,234 times

Advertisements

I had my blood drawn and it came back fine except it showed Minor variation of size and shape in my RBC. One Doctor said oh doesn't always mean anything and the other one said they need to watch it. So my one doctor is running more tests. I went to Dr. Google and it was a little confusing but it showed it could be a form of anemia. I don't know what to think. I feel like I should be more concerned but my friends seem to be freaking out. What could cause that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 07:29 AM

13,438 posts, read 15,041,010 times
Well, there's sickle cell anemia which is genetic. It's fairly prevalent in African Americans, rare in Hispanics, and almost unheard of for any other group. Based on the meh or watch it, you either have terrible doctors or they don't think it's that.

Generically there's poikilocytosis, which just means abnormally shaped RBCs. Most commonly that's from nutrient deficiency but there's various causes.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:30 AM

27,486 posts, read 17,629,902 times
I had anomalies with my RBC results for years, and the docs said it was nothing. Then it went away.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 09-13-2018, 02:34 PM

9,151 posts, read 6,332,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
I had my blood drawn and it came back fine except it showed Minor variation of size and shape in my RBC. One Doctor said oh doesn't always mean anything and the other one said they need to watch it. So my one doctor is running more tests. I went to Dr. Google and it was a little confusing but it showed it could be a form of anemia. I don't know what to think. I feel like I should be more concerned but my friends seem to be freaking out. What could cause that?

A minor variation in the size and shape in red blood cells is a normal finding, one's red blood cells aren't all identical. There are some conditions under which blood cells show a moderate to marked increase in size and shape ( the term for variations in size is called anisocytosis, and variation in shape poikilocytosis) which have to do with the production of red blood cells, but these changes are associated with other findings in the complete blood count (CBC). Anisocytosis and poikilocytosis are associated with some types of anemia, but anemia itself is determined by the amount of hemoglobin in a blood sample, and the red blood cell count.

No reason to freak out if the doctor wasn't worried.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:58 PM

4,141 posts, read 1,540,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
When I get some odd result from a blood test I remind myself that it was ONE test at ONE moment in time. Blood is constantly shifting in response to the world. If the same oddity shows up again, then it's more likely to mean something.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:39 PM

Ok, well going in tomorrow to see my primary care Doctor to see what she thinks. My carbon dioxide was low as well. I have been having vertigo and dizzy spells. So the bloods do concern me a wee bit.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:18 PM

3,999 posts, read 1,776,085 times
Possibly it is Microcytic Anemia.

It is usually caused by a traumatic blood loss or repetitive losses that are left untreated. Mine was caused by a hemorrhage during a second-trimester miscarriage. Unfortunately, there was a miscommunication following the emergency D&C & I was not given a blood transfusion as ordered.

The body responds by going into "hyper-drive RBC manufacturing mode" but the RBC's are produced too quickly, are small, malformed & the surface area of the cell is reduced.

This is important because the surface area of the cell is what oxygen binds to & that is how RBC's transport oxygen throughout the body.

Many people respond to oral iron therapy but my recovery has been complicated by more childbirths, surgeries & because I live at 7,000 ft elevation; where oxygen saturation levels in healthy people are slightly lower than normal, so I have had to have transfusions.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:48 PM

4,621 posts, read 10,497,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Possibly it is Microcytic Anemia.

It is usually caused by a traumatic blood loss or repetitive losses that are left untreated. Mine was caused by a hemorrhage during a second-trimester miscarriage. Unfortunately, there was a miscommunication following the emergency D&C & I was not given a blood transfusion as ordered.

The body responds by going into "hyper-drive RBC manufacturing mode" but the RBC's are produced too quickly, are small, malformed & the surface area of the cell is reduced.

This is important because the surface area of the cell is what oxygen binds to & that is how RBC's transport oxygen throughout the body.

Many people respond to oral iron therapy but my recovery has been complicated by more childbirths, surgeries & because I live at 7,000 ft elevation; where oxygen saturation levels in healthy people are slightly lower than normal, so I have had to have transfusions.
A "minor" variation in size and shape of rbc's without a corresponding drop in Hgb and Hct is not going to be anemia...

Old 09-15-2018, 10:08 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Notice OP went right to Dr Google. I am a strong believer you can do more damage by trying to sort out what you read on the net than you can by just depending on what your doctor has to say. It is interesting and probably in some cases a little helpful to find out side effects form a particular med or even checking out the net for a little more info, but I will never depend on DR Google for my diagnosis or treatment advise.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Notice OP went right to Dr Google. I am a strong believer you can do more damage by trying to sort out what you read on the net than you can by just depending on what your doctor has to say. It is interesting and probably in some cases a little helpful to find out side effects form a particular med or even checking out the net for a little more info, but I will never depend on DR Google for my diagnosis or treatment advise.
I am here so you don't need to talk about me like I am not. I also didn't go for treatment advice (not advise) or a diagnosis. I went to research what variation of size of shape of cells meant. It wasn't clear since it really depends on what the shape of the cell is and the size, I did not have that information.

I have two doctors now running more blood tests. In a nutshell, they said it's something they like to watch but probably nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness