Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2018, 11:51 AM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times

Advertisements

I am looking for alternatives before I consider surgery. I've tried several mouth guard items but they didn't work for me. There is something new that I want to try but have to look for it online. It looks like an anti-tooth grinding mouth guard but you wear it on your lower teeth. Then there is a piece that goes over your tongue to hold it down, stopping it from falling back, blocking the airway. I would probably have to pay for it since insurance doesn't usually cover that stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 12:03 PM

Someone told me about pillows for stomach sleepers might work. Think about a massage or chiropractic table which has a hole for your face when you lie down. Your tongue and soft palate wouldn't fall back and block your airway

https://www.health.com/sleep/stomach-sleeper-pillows

This is for the lower back but one buyer loved it for sleep apnea. Unlike the others above this looks like it would support your forehead and chin
https://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Back-Recommended-Chiropractic-Comfortable/product-reviews/B00HYIG0GE/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=a ll_reviews

Last edited by PilgrimsProgress; 09-13-2018 at 12:14 PM..

Old 09-13-2018, 02:41 PM

Oooh, this one looks good. No cutting or anesthesia. Laser!
Thumbnails below the main video.
Select NightLase Laser Snoring Treatment in Action to see the actual treatment

https://www.snoreexperts.com/videos/

Old 09-13-2018, 03:07 PM

This looks like a good compromise for a mouth appliance and it's probably a lot cheaper than a laser. Scroll down on the main home page to see a photo

Stop Snoring with the Full Breath Solution

Old 09-16-2018, 05:45 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
If you are overweight, lose weight...that REALLY helps! Hubby lost 100 lbs and no longer snores and snorts at all!

Old 09-17-2018, 09:04 AM

8 posts, read 12,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
If you are overweight, lose weight...that REALLY helps! Hubby lost 100 lbs and no longer snores and snorts at all!

Really depends on the person. I have had sleep apnea since I was a skinny teen.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:11 AM

I had my uvala removed, the soft palate lasered to harden it, and a deviate septum fixed. the results were excellebt but in under a year I was right back to where I was at the beginning.

I next tried Cpap but I hated it and could not sleep, even in the initial sleep study trial.

I might try the lasr surgery again...

Old 09-18-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osakadan View Post
I had my uvala removed, the soft palate lasered to harden it, and a deviate septum fixed. the results were excellebt but in under a year I was right back to where I was at the beginning.
I might try the laser surgery again...
I read that you have to repeat it every year or other year, depending on the results.

You might look into the Pillar procedure because that stiffens the palate but involves implanting strips of something that can be removed later if you don't like it.

Studies have reported few complications associated with the pillar procedure. The most commonly reported complication is a tip of an implant protruding through the soft palate tissue (partial extrusion). In that case, the implant can be either removed or replaced.
Other potential complications are usually temporary and resolve on their own, often within a week or so after surgery. They include:
  • Sore throat
  • Feeling of having a foreign body in the soft palate
  • Difficulty swallowing
Home - Pillar Procedure

Old 09-19-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I read that you have to repeat it every year or other year, depending on the results.

You might look into the Pillar procedure because that stiffens the palate but involves implanting strips of something that can be removed later if you don't like it.

Studies have reported few complications associated with the pillar procedure. The most commonly reported complication is a tip of an implant protruding through the soft palate tissue (partial extrusion). In that case, the implant can be either removed or replaced.
Other potential complications are usually temporary and resolve on their own, often within a week or so after surgery. They include:
  • Sore throat
  • Feeling of having a foreign body in the soft palate
  • Difficulty swallowing
Home - Pillar Procedure

I live in Japan now and already have to have other surgery later in the year. They keep you in hospital way longer than necessary. Don't think I could stand a separate hospital stay right now.

After reading this thread went and found some snoring clinics that do the laser at a reasonable price. Might try that first as a stop gap measure and then the pillar process a bit later. thanks for the idea. I had completely forgotten about that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness