U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 05:22 PM

5,647 posts, read 3,198,175 times

Advertisements

My daughter was diagnosed yesterday with type A flu. 102 fever with vomiting, including drinking water, and diahareer. Doctor gave her a pill for vomiting, but she threw it up. Did not advise Tamiful because doctor said it might make her symptoms worse.

Both her husband and young sons are fine. She has not been out of her home since Monday when she and I came back from a weekend away. Her 2 and 4 year old sons have not been out of the house since then, Her husband did not go back to work at public school until Wednesday. When and where did she catch this flu?

This does not sound like any flu I have ever had over 40 years. Norvirus? No, because that is very contagious, very quickly. I have had countless flues, norovirus, and food poisoning. It sounds to me more like the latter since nobody else around her is sick. She is a Vegan, and doesn't eat what the rest of her family eats.

Ok, so how long does it take to catch the flu?

Old 09-14-2018, 06:00 PM

84,980 posts, read 98,832,039 times
The incubation period for flu is 1-4 days. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/acip/clinical.htm
If your daughter goes out in public, she can be exposed. One only has to breathe to catch the flu. If she was out Sunday, Thursday (yesterday) would be 4 days. Did the doctor run a flu test?

Old 09-14-2018, 06:02 PM

27,505 posts, read 17,652,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My daughter was diagnosed yesterday with type A flu. 102 fever with vomiting, including drinking water, and diahareer. Doctor gave her a pill for vomiting, but she threw it up. Did not advise Tamiful because doctor said it might make her symptoms worse.

Both her husband and young sons are fine. She has not been out of her home since Monday when she and I came back from a weekend away. Her 2 and 4 year old sons have not been out of the house since then, Her husband did not go back to work at public school until Wednesday. When and where did she catch this flu?

This does not sound like any flu I have ever had over 40 years. Norvirus? No, because that is very contagious, very quickly. I have had countless flues, norovirus, and food poisoning. It sounds to me more like the latter since nobody else around her is sick. She is a Vegan, and doesn't eat what the rest of her family eats.

Ok, so how long does it take to catch the flu?

If she was diagnosed I can't see any reason to second guess the diagnosis, though the vomiting is unusual.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 09-14-2018, 06:20 PM

21,502 posts, read 26,116,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My daughter was diagnosed yesterday with type A flu.
If she was diagnosed with "type A flu" she had a test done that confirmed the diagnosis.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:33 PM

4,759 posts, read 1,873,849 times
Don't worry, you'll get yours.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:19 PM

4,849 posts, read 5,909,753 times
Chances are very good everyone else will get it. The 'true flu' can start with vomiting but doesn't have to. Fevers, chills, aches, and respiratory problems. It will last anywhere from a week if you are lucky but you can be sick for two.

I had the flu last January, no vomiting but everything else. I was down for 10 days. I got it from my husband.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:59 PM

18,837 posts, read 6,160,004 times
Jo, I guess I'm surprised to hear of a flu this early but I guess anything is possible. I've had one major flu in 1956 and there was no doc dx'ing anything, you knew it. It was the Asian which was huge back then. I still remember almost levitating off the bed with chills and aches and then it was gone in a few days, no vomiting. I was 18. I don't recall anyone else in the house getting it. Over the rest of my life I may have had a couple hints but they were gone right away thanks to Oscillo. Maybe no one else will get whatever she does have. That would be a good thing.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:14 PM

4,982 posts, read 5,455,906 times
The flu started in Central Iowa in August this year! It hasn't made the news, yet, but lots of kids and elderly are getting it.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:08 AM

4,855 posts, read 2,152,571 times
It takes seconds to receive it...and up to a day or two to be graced with all its symptoms .
I had nausea all thru my bout. Couldnt keep water down. Yet I did sleep a lot and had high grade temp followed by extreme chills.
I recall a few hazy moments where someone fed me broth ...and I reckon I kept it down. The body does need fluids so ...make sure even limited liquids can be administered.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:04 PM

4,001 posts, read 1,780,161 times
The incubation period is from 1 to 4 days after exposure until symptoms develop & you are contagious for 1 day before symptoms develop until 7 days after symptoms start.

So the question would be; when did she first feel sick? If she started feeling sick on Wednesday, for instance; she was likely exposed anytime between Saturday to Tuesday & will have been/will be contagious from Tuesday (9/12) until next Wednesday (9/19).

If she saw the doctor the same day she felt sick (Fri, 9/14); she was likely exposed between Monday to Thursday & will be contagious from Thursday (9/13) until Friday (9/21).

Food poisoning, particularly with E. Coli; can cause someone to become more susceptible to Influenza A & they could have both infections concurrently.

Whatís interesting is that she has no respiratory symptoms. As far as I knew; only Avian strains will present like that unless her GI symptoms are actually appendicitis. Influenza A can cause appendicitis but thatís more common in children. If she still has her appendix; she should have a follow-up soon to rule out appendicitis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or