U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 07:43 AM

3,448 posts, read 1,494,034 times

Advertisements

So, I've started seeing a new pcp. I've signed papers saying that they can say everything on my vm. I've told them this after they've instead decided to leave vague messages.

The past 2 times, they'll call me on a Friday, 10 minutes before closing. The nurse called me the Friday before Labor Day weekend and says to call back Tuesday morning bc of an issue with my blood work. I decided to cancel my trip from Sunday to Thursday just in case I needed to come back in, etc. Turns out I just need vitamin d! Wth! I reiterated that you can say everything on the vm.

They do it again this past Friday. I just called and I need to come sign something. If they would have said this on the vm, I could have switched my work time today instead of having to scramble.

Any ideas how to solve this once and for all bc I do like the dr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 01:11 PM

10,715 posts, read 19,054,470 times
I'm thinking that because of privacy rules they have to actually speak to the person about test results, etc. - not just leave a message.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:14 PM

1,362 posts, read 653,492 times
Do they have a patient portal that you can access? That might give you the information that you need right away, rather than using voicemail.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:34 PM

9,343 posts, read 8,738,980 times
Could very well be that the staff has been instructed by the physician(s) to not leave detailed messages.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:22 PM

3,448 posts, read 1,494,034 times
No, I signed papers that said I authorize detailed messages.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:59 AM

9,343 posts, read 8,738,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
No, I signed papers that said I authorize detailed messages.
But was it defined as to who would be giving detailed messages? Every medical office is run differently and you'd need to talk to the office manager and/or the physician to clarify.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:29 PM

81 posts, read 27,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Any ideas how to solve this once and for all bc I do like the dr.

I'd start with an open, frank conversation with either the physician or a nurse from the office staff.

In my practice, we do not, as a rule, leave detailed voicemail messages with any privacy-protected information. If your provider does so, then it's critical for you to understand how the process works from their end, and adjust your expectations accordingly.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:41 PM

1,319 posts, read 293,260 times
This kind of shi$ drives me absolutely batty. I had concerns about a blood clot and I was headed to the airport for an out of town wedding. I was playing phone tag with the doctor's office because they NEVER answer their phone. They would call and because I was at the loud airport, I missed the call. I would call back and get voicemail every single time. I just had to throw caution to the wind and get on the plane.

I think the medical industry in this country is atrocious. It seems like the staff are mindless drones who don't know how to do anything except by the script. It's infuriating. I spent a of time in the medical industry due to breast cancer. The staffs stressed me out so bad, it wasn't funny. I once showed up an hour late to chemo because they make three appointments in a row...one for bloodwork, one for the doctor and one for the chemo. I just got the times wrong ONE time. The girl who was doing my bloodwork was berating me even after I profusely apologized. She kept going on and on about how I messed up her entire schedule. I complained about her and never saw her again. SOME people do not belong in the medical field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness