U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-02-2008, 04:58 PM
 
Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON!"*"CHRISTE, ELEISON" KYRIE, ELEISON!"0)
2,504 posts, read 4,839,573 times
Reputation: 4212

Advertisements

I was cooking, and I actually managed to burn

myself with the actual food that was VERY HOT what is the most

NATURAL way to relieve this?

Is there something you can put on your skin that will relieve it and also

avoid a scar? Is Aloe Vera my best option??

Thank you in advance!

Countrylv22

Last edited by countrylv22; 04-02-2008 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: ATTITUDE IN LIFE IS KEY!!:0) Have a GREAT DAY EVERYONE!:0)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2008, 05:12 PM
 
790 posts, read 3,595,250 times
Reputation: 480
Default Salt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
I was cooking, and I actually managed to burn

myself with the actual food that was VERY HOT what is the most

NATURAL way to relieve this?

Is there something you can put on your skin that will relieve it and also

avoid a scar? Is Aloe Vera my best option??

Thank you in advance!

Countrylv22
This sounds counter intuitive but do you know what i use for a burn?
Salt! It works and it doesn't hurt. Now, i've never done this on a really serious burn but i use it the average really ouchy burn from the stove, etc.
A friend of mine told me about this a few years ago and i was hesitant.
But i tried it and was amazed.
I moisten the burn with a little water and then poor sea-salt on it and hold my hand in such a way so that the salt can remain on the burn for quite a few minutes or longer ... until i get bored.
It takes the pain away and is very healing.
I don't know about its effectiveness for scarring but i suspect that it would lesson the potential for a scar. Scars don't bother me so i'm not sure.
To prevent scarring, use vitamin E oil. Keep applying it for as long as you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2008, 05:31 PM
 
Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON!"*"CHRISTE, ELEISON" KYRIE, ELEISON!"0)
2,504 posts, read 4,839,573 times
Reputation: 4212
Talking Hello Rubyskye!! THANK YOU!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH

FOR YOUR QUICK REPLY!!

I truly appreciate it!!

Someone in my building, told me to crush onions and put it on???

When I had chicken pox as a teenager, and I was in so much pain, I did not

care if I would end up with a scar or not my Mother covered me up with

Vitamin E, and I do not have 1 scar at all from that! I am glad that she

forced it on me LOL!

I totally forgot about that

I will try your SALT advice THANK YOU!!

Take care,

Have a great day!

Countrylv22



Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
This sounds counter intuitive but do you know what i use for a burn?
Salt! It works and it doesn't hurt. Now, i've never done this on a really serious burn but i use it the average really ouchy burn from the stove, etc.
A friend of mine told me about this a few years ago and i was hesitant.
But i tried it and was amazed.
I moisten the burn with a little water and then poor sea-salt on it and hold my hand in such a way so that the salt can remain on the burn for quite a few minutes or longer ... until i get bored.
It takes the pain away and is very healing.
I don't know about its effectiveness for scarring but i suspect that it would lesson the potential for a scar. Scars don't bother me so i'm not sure.
To prevent scarring, use vitamin E oil. Keep applying it for as long as you want.

Last edited by countrylv22; 04-02-2008 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: ATTITUDE & PERSEVERANCE ARE KEY IN LIFE!!:0) Have a GREAT DAY EVERYONE!:0)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2008, 05:44 PM
 
790 posts, read 3,595,250 times
Reputation: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
THANK YOU SO MUCH

FOR YOUR QUICK REPLY!!

I truly appreciate it!!

Someone in my building, told me to crush onions and put it on???

When I had chicken pox as a teenager, and I was in so much pain, I did not

care if I would end up with a scar or not my Mother covered me up with

Vitamin E, and I do not have 1 scar at all from that! I am glad that she

forced it on me LOL!

I totally forgot about that

I will try your SALT advice THANK YOU!!

Take care,

Have a great day!

Countrylv22
Great ... the salt is for right after you are burned.
Then the Vit. E oil to prevent scarring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2008, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Long Beach, CA
2,072 posts, read 10,748,482 times
Reputation: 1711
A few months ago, I was boiling hot water in the micro. I took the corning ware out and was trying to do 10 things at once. I spilled the hot water on my stomach area. Ouch. I spread Neoporin on the area, covered it with some gause and it was fine in a few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2008, 10:43 PM
 
Location: Boise, ID
1,356 posts, read 5,251,829 times
Reputation: 883
If you put honey on a burn immediately then it will draw the heat out of it. It won't help with the pain too much right away but once it stops burning wash the honey off and the burn will be gone. But you have to put the honey on very soon after the burn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2008, 01:13 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
29,535 posts, read 30,051,406 times
Reputation: 12012
There is a product available at pharmacies called Spenco 2nd Skin. I first used it on my boat when I splashed super hot oil on my hand. A friend sent it over from his boat, and I have never been without a supply since. It is a gelled water patch and relieves the pain instantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2008, 01:54 AM
 
Location: Ocean Shores, WA
4,741 posts, read 12,289,072 times
Reputation: 9554
As soon as you burn yourself get to the freezer right away and put a piece of ice on the burn. Not only will it stop the pain, it will usually prevent blistering.
The quicker you get the ice on it, the better it will work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2008, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
29,535 posts, read 30,051,406 times
Reputation: 12012
Great advice Freddy. That helps prevent scarring too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2008, 10:28 AM
 
3,859 posts, read 9,064,367 times
Reputation: 2725
I don't have any additional advice-everything I would have said has already been written. However, take care of that burn Country and I hope it feels better!


Nicolem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top