U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 06:16 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,288,072 times

Advertisements

In my career so far whenever an illness spreads around the office it is usually cold or flu-like symptoms. There are about 50 people in our office. But now there is something going around that is making people violently sick and causing them to suddenly throw up and not keep any food down and have to be by a bathroom all the time (obviously sent home at this point).

Three people affected in the last seven days all people affected work in the same general area.

What can the rest of us do to protect ourselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 07:20 AM

11,066 posts, read 8,991,849 times
Sounds like norovirus.

https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/

Old 09-18-2018, 07:23 AM

783 posts, read 681,034 times
Sounds a lot like norovirus. It's extremely contagious and spread by contact with the affected persons. It is probably being spread because you share restroom facilities.

If it is norovirus, the only bright spot is that it doesn't last too long. Meanwhile, wash your hands a lot, especially when using the restroom, cover your mouth and nose, and don't touch each other.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:28 AM

1,805 posts, read 774,742 times
If it's noro, it's highly contagious. Actual bleach is what you need to disinfect surfaces. After cleaning you leave the solution to work for 10 to 20 minutes and then rinse with clean water. The bathroom, door handles, etc

For stainless steel surfaces and items used for food consumption: Dissolve one tablespoon of bleach in a gallon of water
For non-porous surfaces like countertops, sinks, or tile floors: Dissolve one third of a cup of bleach in a gallon of water.

Also, good hand-washing. Noro is a spore particle, so it's important to wash with soap to break away the spore from your skin and water to rinse it down the drain. You can also use alcohol based hand sanitizer as an added precaution (but don't use it to replace hand-washing). It takes as little as ingesting 10 spores to infect someone, that's why it's so contagious. Risk of infection is highest during acute symptoms (12-48 hours) However, the virus may be spread up to two weeks after symptoms resolve. This is why hand-washing is so important.

Last edited by crd08; 09-18-2018 at 07:47 AM..

Old 09-18-2018, 07:34 AM

637 posts, read 1,010,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post

Three people affected in the last seven days all people affected work in the same general area.

What can the rest of us do to protect ourselves?

Stay home.

It sounds like it could be norovirus or rotavirus.

If I had to report to work, I would avoid using the bathroom there at all costs. I would also not use the kitchen area. I would keep to myself as much as possible. Open windows if you could. Use Lysol Disinfectant wipes on every surface touch (keyboards, door knobs, phones etc). If it's noro, the people who were sick are still contagious for two days after their symptoms subside.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:46 AM

12,429 posts, read 14,559,489 times
Are there drinking water dispensers where you work?
If so...when were they cleaned last?

Like the above poster said....use disinfectant on your work surfaces.
Bring your own food, coffee, whatever. Share with no-one.
Take lots of vit c and d.
Hope you remain well...take care

Old 09-18-2018, 08:06 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,288,072 times
Update: A fourth and fifth person are out sick today and another person says they feel stomach pain.

Someone volunteered to wipe down all kitchen surfaces, desks, and door handles with Lysol wipes. I will be attending internal meetings via Skype from my office and will use hand sanitzier before eating or drinking anything.

No water dispensers, people take water bottles from the fridge.

Everyone that’s gotten sick so far works in the open floor plan area.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:00 AM

5,488 posts, read 4,556,796 times
Wear a face mask,
clean your area 70/30 alcohol wipes ,
Use your alcohol wipes going through the office .
DON'T bring the virus home with you.

Clean up your own home and all contact points . door knobs .ect...

Old 09-18-2018, 09:26 AM

1,011 posts, read 527,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
Someone volunteered to wipe down all kitchen surfaces, desks, and door handles with Lysol wipes. I will be attending internal meetings via Skype from my office and will use hand sanitzier before eating or drinking anything.
This is well-meaning but pointless. Lysol wipes do not kill stomach bugs such as norovirus or rotovirus. I researched this when my kids had the stomach flu a while back and was very sad to learn that fact.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:48 AM

4,848 posts, read 5,906,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
This is well-meaning but pointless. Lysol wipes do not kill stomach bugs such as norovirus or rotovirus. I researched this when my kids had the stomach flu a while back and was very sad to learn that fact.
I agree. Bleach is the only thing that is going to work. It needs to be diluted and then applied to any and all surfaces that may have been exposed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or