U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 11:18 AM

4,839 posts, read 5,903,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
She never said that, doesnít anyone even read the OP before they comment? She said at least half a dozen times she wouldnít expect someone not to use it if the others are full. But there are a LOT of people who are able-bodied who choose the handicapped stall even if all the others are empty.

Itís more spacious and sometimes has a private sink. I have done it myself when I have packages because it is usually the stall that is against a wall. But really itís not any different than parking in a handicapped parking spot when you have nothing wrong with you. Iíve taken my 87 year old mom who uses a walker and walks like a snail, out to eat numerous times and all the handicapped spots are taken. I did not see the bathroom as the same and never gave it much thought and so appreciate OPs feedback.

In summary, OP did not say anything about needing wheelchairs or needing to appear disabled to use the handicapped stall; OP did not say an able-bodied person should wait for another stall rather than use the handicapped stall, in fact she said the opposite, numerous times. OP is simply reminding those people who have no physical or mental issues to please remember someone who does need it (including half the people here who are berating her, ironically) may come in any second and that they cannot simply choose another stall.
I just added my 2 cents to the conversation. I wasn't trying to rebut the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 12:41 PM

5,164 posts, read 2,994,994 times
I worked with two vocational rehab counselors one who had lost his legs and the other was born without arms. They both did a nice job of making people comfortable with their disabilities and sometimes made jokes about how well they complimented each other.

But never, for a minute, did I think either of them took the issue lightly. The man who had lost his legs would get so irritated about people using handicapped parking spots that he finally put a bumper sticker on his van which read, "I will gladly trade my parking spot for your legs."

I say they made people comfortable with their conditions for a reason. And that's because I knew little at the time about the life of someone who is physically different. In my fortunate life it hadn't even occurred to me to seek out information about the subject.

Ideally we should all be aware and I think the schools have done more work regarding this since the concept of mainstreaming has been implemented. But the best things I learned were the little details that came directly from the source.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:33 PM

9,101 posts, read 3,923,269 times
The only time I use the handicapped stall is if it's the only one available and I'm just doing a quick pee. I reminded my 9 year granddaughter yesterday when she went into the handicapped stall that it is to be used for those who are handicapped and sometimes they need to go NOW. As a woman with OAB I know the urgency.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:58 PM

9,862 posts, read 5,777,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
The only time I use the handicapped stall is if it's the only one available and I'm just doing a quick pee. I reminded my 9 year granddaughter yesterday when she went into the handicapped stall that it is to be used for those who are handicapped and sometimes they need to go NOW. As a woman with OAB I know the urgency.
And how. Some times you're at the far end of say, Costco, and the urge kicks in,... It's like a football player trying to dodge the other team players to get a goal before you get tackled

Old 09-24-2018, 05:23 AM

25,455 posts, read 23,273,196 times
for those of you who understand my point in this thread, thank you....

I really don't care which stall anyone uses....my point was this....

At work for each section of our building, which is huge, we have one bathroom, with 2 regular stalls and one handicapped stall.

It is my experience and the experience of others, that the handicapped stall is preferred by many and is usually taken first.

Never in a million years did it occur to me, in all my 23 years working here, that sometimes people need that stall, until I had back and knee surgery returning to work with a walker, and crutches.

Every year, we have people come in in crutches, or with a cane, or people who have knee injuries, back injuries, etc. who absolutely cannot get up off those lower toilets. And BTW, I think it's high Time America change their way of thinking and get rid of those lower toilets and put in the higher toilets, especially in work places...b/c lots of people need them.

Also, when your younger, you mean no harm, you just don't realize, that there are lots of people who need those toilets, and you just use them. Which is the purpose of this thread.

No, there isn't any law, that says you can't use them, and I'm not saying that either. What I'm suggesting, is, to be aware that they are there for a reason, and this is especially targeted at the younger generation....why, b/c I really and honestly do not think younger people consider it...how could they, I didn't...but at work, everyone seems to go for the handicapped stall, and it's gotten so, that I do wait, due to the lower seats in the other two stalls.

I think people forget about older people and their needs, and I believe the work place needs to change their focus for the fact, that people are working longer when their older, and that those lower toilets are outdated, workers have needs, with knee and back injuries.

So taking offense to this thread is silly....if you want to use those handicapped toilets do so, I'm just bringing it to light to remind people that there are people who have a specific handicap to use them, and yes, we will wait our turn....but in the same, please remember, the handicapped don't always show their handicap, so if the other toilets are empty, why not use them first.

And kudos to the woman who said, she teaches her daughter that, thank you.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
And how. Some times you're at the far end of say, Costco, and the urge kicks in,... It's like a football player trying to dodge the other team players to get a goal before you get tackled

younger folks do not understand this, until they grow older....lol, so I don't think it hurts to remind them.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:51 AM

1,470 posts, read 1,386,390 times
I’m not exactly young nor old, early 40s. I was diagnosed with UC in my early teens. I have never once used a handicap stall simply because I have UC. So the several comments about IBS and the stalls has me confused. Believe me I know urgency, to the point of not making it to any bathroom.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Iím not exactly young nor old, early 40s. I was diagnosed with UC in my early teens. I have never once used a handicap stall simply because I have UC. So the several comments about IBS and the stalls has me confused. Believe me I know urgency, to the point of not making it to any bathroom.
sorry guess I should have made it clearer, some with IBS have joint pain and joint problems....

If our country would become a lot more aware and install higher toilets in bathrooms, they'd be doing something... lol
in other words, when a toilet needs to be replaced, replace it with a higher one.

apartment complexes also need to install handicapped toilets, shower stalls instead of tubs, it's difficult for older people with joint problems to climb over those tubs....it would be nice....

Old 09-24-2018, 09:31 AM

440 posts, read 329,037 times
Default EMERGENCY ALTERNATIVE to access to a Handicap Toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I can relate to this. I can't get off a low toilet without grab bars, or shoving off with hands on the seat. Don't want to do that in public. (bad knees) Only the handicapped stalls have grab bars.

I really wonder what those with bad knees in squat-toilet cultures do....

When my neighbor was having seriously painful knee trouble, & mentioned how using the bathroom was almost impossible for her . . . I shared with her what I do just because my bedroom is so far from the bathroom & if I walk that far & back I'll not be able to go back to sleep any time soon . . .

I keep a modern DIY chamber-pot-kit near my bed . . . which I use whilst standing up. My kit consists of things that would not fit easily in a purse, but I imaging collapsible substitutes could be devised.

My kit consists of: a plastic, liter size, soda cup (to urinate into); an emptied liquid laundry detergent bottle with tight-fitting lid (to store the urine in); a quart-size yogurt container (which a plastic liner can be put in, with the top folded over the container top) for BMs. . . . One just has to practice & learn both where & how to hold them, to prevent spilling. . . .

It seems to me the pliable-tho-somewhat-rigid receptacles I use could be replaced with single-use collapsible-bags that have rigid material around their openings to hold them open, and maybe a short neck that's wide enough to offer a firm grip on them. These could initially be folded & carried in a medium to large purse, back-pack, or whatever . . . in their own plastic covers to keep them clean. Then, after use, discard. . . . (Admittedly, the pliable-yet-semi-rigid containers I use are easier to handle & hold in place.)

IS Anyone up to the challenge of designing & producing the best bags for such uses . . . ?

. . . . . . . . .Urine drainage & collostomy bags would not do, at least not 'as is'. . . . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
At the Vatican (of all places) there were about 30 women in line for the 2 operable stalls. There was a locked HC unit, but the grouchy attendant would not let anyone use it, though there were no HC there. I thought that was weird.
Sounds like it was either out of order, or someone had had an accident in it & it had not yet been cleaned up. Perhaps the grouchy attendant was trying to avoid 'doing their duty' of cleaning it up, &/or their helper had called in sick. IDK.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:34 AM

27,451 posts, read 17,629,902 times
Get a She Wee or a GoGirl.

We take them camping so we are not forced to make the trek to the bathrooms in dark.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness