Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 11:51 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times

Advertisements

Let me start out by saying, I don't believe anyone does this to be mean....

There was an episode on TV, a short skit, about a man in a wheel chair, who comes into the men's bathroom and another man who was perfectly able to use one of the regular stalls is sitting on the handicapped toilet.

So the man in the wheel chair, asks the man while he's sitting there...."Why do you do that, I always wondered that". And I near dropped to the floor laughing. And a friend of mine at work who is also handicapped, asked me if I saw the show and we started to laugh, it seems people forget that there are handicapped people out there, a lot of us, who cannot use the lower toilets....

It's true, when ever you walk into a rest room, men's or ladies, those that are not handicapped always take the handicapped stall first. Why?

If you walk into a rest room and the stalls are empty, please first consider the handicapped out there who cannot use the lower toilets...and please use the empty toilets first....if they are full than by all means, use the handicapped stall, and I'll wait...but what I'm saying is, and I do not believe people even consider this fact when they do that, that, someone may walk in who really really needs to use that handicapped stall, so all I'm asking is, to please consider that when you walk into a rest room please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 12:38 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
If the handicapped stall is the last one open the of course use it, but please don't take your time if someone knocks and makes you aware of their need.

I have heard and read countless times people state that being disabled doesn't mean never having to wait. It does however mean that usually there is only ONE stall that they can use. If there is more than one stall in the bathroom then those able to use those stalls have more than one option (typically at least four 'normal' stalls).

Also, disabled people sometimes cannot wait like those without disabilities. I, too am in a wheelchair and I also have an ileostomy. This means that there are times that the bag fills very quickly and there is never any warning. I cannot control it or 'hold it.

If I cannot empty it into a toilet it might very well break the seal and end up all over me, my chair and the area around me. This is not pleasant for anyone and is excruciatingly embarrassing to me (not to mention not easily cleaned up).
I also must cath to empty my bladder, but there are those with an urostomy that have the same issues with bag failure and a smelly mess as a result of 'waiting like everyone else's.

If someone is in the stall and can't leave quickly I need to know this so that I may try to find another restroom (not always possible). I have been caught out a couple of times and had time empty my bag into a plastic bag while waiting for the only stall I can use and had a couple of women making retching noises and unkind comments, all for something I have absolutely zero control over. At least in a stall others don't have to see my waste and I have the chance to use a spray before and after I empty the contents into the toilet.

So, no - many of us can't wait like everyone else for the one stall that we can use.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
If the handicapped stall is the last one open the of course use it, but please don't take your time if someone knocks and makes you aware of their need.

I have heard and read countless times people state that being disabled doesn't mean never having to wait. It does however mean that usually there is only ONE stall that they can use. If there is more than one stall in the bathroom then those able to use those stalls have more than one option (typically at least four 'normal' stalls).

Also, disabled people sometimes cannot wait like those without disabilities. I, too am in a wheelchair and I also have an ileostomy. This means that there are times that the bag fills very quickly and there is never any warning. I cannot control it or 'hold it.

If I cannot empty it into a toilet it might very well break the seal and end up all over me, my chair and the area around me. This is not pleasant for anyone and is excruciatingly embarrassing to me (not to mention not easily cleaned up).
I also must cath to empty my bladder, but there are those with an urostomy that have the same issues with bag failure and a smelly mess as a result of 'waiting like everyone else's.

If someone is in the stall and can't leave quickly I need to know this so that I may try to find another restroom (not always possible). I have been caught out a couple of times and had time empty my bag into a plastic bag while waiting for the only stall I can use and had a couple of women making retching noises and unkind comments, all for something I have absolutely zero control over. At least in a stall others don't have to see my waste and I have the chance to use a spray before and after I empty the contents into the toilet.

So, no - many of us can't wait like everyone else for the one stall that we can use.
I cannot imagine how frustrating and embarrassing that could be....well, yes, I can...as I have a similar problem but not nearly as bad...however, all we're asking is a tad bit of awareness, and I believe it's important to impress that people just don't think about it...they aren't doing it to be mean, it just doesn't occur to them and believe it's time to bring it to the surface and remind people that the handicapped stall is there for a reason...for the handicapped.

I contacted someone at work and asked them to send around a reminder, but as of yet, they have not.

But, since I'm retiring soon, I'm going to become much more vocal about it.

thank you for speaking up.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:40 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Handicapped named stalls by law are available to everyone regardless if they are handicapped or not. Handicap sign means they are ADA approved for handicapped people to use.

Bathroom law, none, handicapped parking spaces are legally reserved for people who have a disability, "handicapped restroom stalls are built to accommodate the disabled -- not reserved for them."

Last edited by wit-nit; 09-20-2018 at 01:50 PM..

Old 09-20-2018, 03:20 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Wit-nit~

Yes, but if other stalls are available why use the only stall that someone may be able to use? There have been times when a couple of girls are giggling in the stall, trying on clothes or even a mother begging her toddler to "just try and go potty".

Do little ones have to go? Of course, but when someone has made the adult aware that the stall is needed then for pete's sake - move on!

I have waited for people (more than a couple of times in different locations) to finish up their work breaks. It seems as if they go in there to go on their phones and not be bothered by supervisors. How do I know these people were not using the restroom? Because they don't make the noises of toilet paper being dispensed, clothing is not arranged, toilets are not flushed, nor wash their hands.

Why can people not have some consideration for others? Unfortunately, people fail to do the right thing until they themselves are affected (personally or with a family member).

Old 09-20-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Handicapped named stalls by law are available to everyone regardless if they are handicapped or not. Handicap sign means they are ADA approved for handicapped people to use.

Bathroom law, none, handicapped parking spaces are legally reserved for people who have a disability, "handicapped restroom stalls are built to accommodate the disabled -- not reserved for them."
We're not talking laws here we're talking a little consideration and awareness of the fact that some people need those handicapped stalls

when I was using a Walker I needed it badly and had to wait. I really hope and pray that someday you don't need one.

I am talking about bringing this to the public's eye and making people more aware because I really don't think they think about it,

And I really do think that most people would understand and be a little more Conscientious about The needs of the handicapped

Old 09-20-2018, 06:34 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Yes I agree with you about the consideration and yes I'm handicapped as well as my wife. Many people think it's the law that only handicapped people can use those facilities. I run into that frequently. That is why I posted what I posted. The way some people make statements in many forums it sounds like they are quoting the letter of the law.
We travel a lot and find that many places, especially fast food restaurants, have only one or 2 stalls or someone is using one for an embarrassing moment and needs to change clothes or whatever. Many people are also shy. There are so many scenarios/reasons to use the stalls. So I wouldn't condemn all people that are not handicapped for using the those particular stalls.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:36 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Do we know for certain if the person using it doesn't have a wheelchair that they aren't handicapped?

Old 09-21-2018, 08:18 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Let me start out by saying, I don't believe anyone does this to be mean....

There was an episode on TV, a short skit, about a man in a wheel chair, who comes into the men's bathroom and another man who was perfectly able to use one of the regular stalls is sitting on the handicapped toilet.

So the man in the wheel chair, asks the man while he's sitting there...."Why do you do that, I always wondered that". And I near dropped to the floor laughing. And a friend of mine at work who is also handicapped, asked me if I saw the show and we started to laugh, it seems people forget that there are handicapped people out there, a lot of us, who cannot use the lower toilets....

It's true, when ever you walk into a rest room, men's or ladies, those that are not handicapped always take the handicapped stall first. Why?

If you walk into a rest room and the stalls are empty, please first consider the handicapped out there who cannot use the lower toilets...and please use the empty toilets first....if they are full than by all means, use the handicapped stall, and I'll wait...but what I'm saying is, and I do not believe people even consider this fact when they do that, that, someone may walk in who really really needs to use that handicapped stall, so all I'm asking is, to please consider that when you walk into a rest room please.

No, that's NOT true.

The fictional skit example doesn't even reflect that. Has it not occurred to anyone that, when the "offender" went into the restroom, the handicapped stall was the only one available?

Handicapped stalls are not reserved for the handicapped in the sense that some think that they are. If someone goes into a restroom and finds all stalls in use without a handicapped person in sight, they can use it. It's not meant to be an empty stall, waiting for a handicapped person to appear. And yes, as one poster noted, though they accommodate wheelchairs, there are other disabilities for which these stalls can be used.

Sometimes even the elderly with range of motion issues or other non-visible afflictions may need the extra space afforded by the handicapped stalls. I once saw a woman accompany a shuffling, quite elderly woman (her mom, probably) into one.

The etiquette is effortless enough, or should be: If you have to "go" so badly that you enter a restroom in the first place, use one of the regular stalls. If they're all in use, and there's no one behind you, use the handicapped stall, and get the heck out of there. If there are people behind you who don't appear to be handicapped, just ask if anyone needs the handicapped stall before using it yourself. Of course, should one of the regular ones become available, use that.

Few things in life are this simple.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:31 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
So let's say someone uses the handicap stall for ANY reason, what is the inconvenience? A 3 minute wait?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness