Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 10:06 PM

26,635 posts, read 28,427,436 times

Advertisements

I wanted to get Lasik but the doctor said I wasn't a good candidate. At the time, I would have paid to go to someone good and definitely would have avoided those people who were doing it on the cheap.

My younger sister did get Lasik and is thrilled with the results. There are risks to anything but if you are very careful to only go to someone really experienced and well qualified, I think your chances of success are greatly improved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 03:07 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,392,734 times
If the only way to correct both near and far is with monovision, no thanks. I hate monovision. One eye blurry, one eye clear is not for me. I am near sighted so I wear contacts, but when I do, I need readers for close up work. I like to see clear with both eyes for both near and distance. I would hate to go through the trouble of getting lasik and still have to wear readers. Kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:41 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,283,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
If the only way to correct both near and far is with monovision, no thanks. I hate monovision. One eye blurry, one eye clear is not for me. I am near sighted so I wear contacts, but when I do, I need readers for close up work. I like to see clear with both eyes for both near and distance. I would hate to go through the trouble of getting lasik and still have to wear readers. Kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion.

I have monovision and it's not "one eye blurry, one eye" clear for me. The sight in both eyes is very clear and I cant tell which eye is closeup and which eye is distance. When I'm reading, the closeup-vision eye automatically takes over and when I'm driving or doing anything else, the distance-vision eye automatically takes over.

At the age of 72 I dont have to use reading glasses.

If you read the other posts in this thread, you'd see that others also have monovision and really like it. I'm not here to try to convince you. I dont care if you want it or not but I do care that you're spreading incorrect ideas about what it's like.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:10 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,392,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I have monovision and it's not "one eye blurry, one eye" clear for me. The sight in both eyes is very clear and I cant tell which eye is closeup and which eye is distance. When I'm reading, the closeup-vision eye automatically takes over and when I'm driving or doing anything else, the distance-vision eye automatically takes over.

At the age of 72 I dont have to use reading glasses.

If you read the other posts in this thread, you'd see that others also have monovision and really like it. I'm not here to try to convince you. I dont care if you want it or not but I do care that you're spreading incorrect ideas about what it's like.
I've had monovision with my contacts. One is less powerful than the other and I could not get used to it. I did try it for 3 days. So if I'm driving down the road and I am trying to read a sign at a distance. I am using both eyes and I can read it but it's still a bit blurry because one eye is still out of focus. This is what I do not like. How could the lasik be any different? Fill me in please.

That is my experience and my opinion. How is that incorrect?

Old 09-25-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I've had monovision with my contacts. One is less powerful than the other and I could not get used to it. I did try it for 3 days. So if I'm driving down the road and I am trying to read a sign at a distance. I am using both eyes and I can read it but it's still a bit blurry because one eye is still out of focus. This is what I do not like. How could the lasik be any different? Fill me in please.

I've never had monovision contacts so I cant compare them with monovision lasik. And you've never had monovision lasik so you cant compare it with monovision contacts either.

All I can relate is my personal experience and the experiences of others who've had monovision lasik. I explained that in my precious post. I see perfectly fine with both eyes and my eyes work great together. I cant even tell when one eye is taking over to see distance and when the other is taking over to see closeup.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:27 PM

36,961 posts, read 40,902,803 times
Quote:

The brain can do really spooky things with vision. Three days was not long enough to allow your brain to figure out what it needed to do to interpret what the eyes were telling it.

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ng-upside-down

https://www.laserforeyes.com/how-lon...on-correction/

Old 09-25-2018, 05:31 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,192,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Might be useful to know:

Blurred Vision, Burning Eyes
Some patients who undergo the eye surgery report a variety of side effects. They may persist for years, studies show.
By Roni Caryn Rabin

Nearly half of all people who had healthy eyes before Lasik developed visual aberrations for the first time after the procedure, the trial found.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/11/well/lasik-complications-vision.html
...and many of those issues that are right after the surgery abate in a few weeks - like seeing "halos", etc.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The brain can do really spooky things with vision. Three days was not long enough to allow your brain to figure out what it needed to do to interpret what the eyes were telling it...

As always, suzy_q is correct. It did take me a couple of months to get used to the monovision. But I had expected that because I'd done my research.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:51 PM

48,271 posts, read 34,391,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
As always, suzy_q is correct. It did take me a couple of months to get used to the monovision. But I had expected that because I'd done my research.
Me too, and I did it with contacts first, over a little time I hardly noticed it.

Even if I didn't have the mono vision I would have done the Lasik, my vision was so poor that even the big E on the eye chart was blurry.

I had a fear of a Burgess Meredith / Twilight Zone scenario.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-25-2018, 05:51 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,192,675 times
Quote:
Get multifocal contacts - I hateg going to readers with contacts - multifocals allow me to see well - they actually do 3 different distances to account for computer work, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness