Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 12:32 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,570,899 times

Advertisements

I believe too a lot of these cataracts are from NOT wearing protective sunglasses when in sun and even shade...in snow too. Of course, I am a huge proponent of eye health vitamins/supps.

I wear Sunglasses to go out for the mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 01:03 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,204,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I believe too a lot of these cataracts are from NOT wearing protective sunglasses when in sun and even shade...in snow too. Of course, I am a huge proponent of eye health vitamins/supps.

I wear Sunglasses to go out for the mail.

I've become a believer in the value of sunglasses too, as is my ophthalmologist.

For decades I never wore shades, way back to teenage years when I did wear them, trying to be cool.

Even at night sometimes.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:22 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,570,899 times
Oh, I've been known to add my flip ons to my indoor glasses, it gets pretty bright in my apt some times and sitting at the computer is so bright. The cataract surgery industry has done very very well by us NOT wearing those shades.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:19 PM

2,741 posts, read 2,962,678 times
I had Lasik surgery in Canada back in 2000, just before it went mainstream, it only cost $1,000 American for both eyes (in the USA at that time, it was $5,000 PER EYE!). I ended up with my left eye (my dominant eye unfortunately) with Corneal Edema. It was like walking around in a cloud, and no fun at all. Really screwed with my balance also. Going down stairs was especially scary.

I live in mid-Michigan, so even though Michiganders don't tend to think of Canada as a "foreign country" (especially before 9/11 happened, and all the restrictions in crossing the border that caused) it is. Because of that, I could NOT find an American doctor that would touch me, because I had DARED to have surgery in a "foreign country". So, I spent the next 20 months going back and forth to Windsor to get treated there. Basically, I was using a steroid eyedrop, AND a saline eyedrop (to help "pull out" the edema to the surface).

What actually FINALLY cured me, was getting a doctor to prescribe a temporary "bandage contact lense" for my left eye, with a slight prescription in it. The contact "floating" on the surface of the eyeball, PULLED the edema out of my eye as if by a suction, and it finally healed within a week!

Ultimately, I ended up with unintended monovision, which helps as I'm now 59 years old, yet don't need reading glasses OR distance glasses. The only little issue, is that my formally dominant eye is the one that ended up slightly under corrected due to that problem.

Perhaps a "bandage contact lense" could also be beneficial to you? It couldn't hurt to ask your doctor.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:06 PM

Default Just How Many Eye Drops In 5ML?

How many drops in 5ml?

I mean, 5ml converts to 17% of an ounce!!! I've used 64 shots of one kind of eye drops from a 5ml bottle and 56 from another. Shaking the bottles, they still feel and sound like I haven't made a dent.

Doc says use them until they're gone. When's that .... July 4, 2019.

How long did it take for you to use up your "jugs" of eye drops?

Old 10-21-2018, 05:20 PM

6,749 posts, read 5,432,462 times
Hmmm. Everyone i know having had cataract surgery has done well. ( when i was a kid, i thought people had "cadillacs " in their eyes! Lol).

But my fatyer is havibg cataract surgery in Dec. I will be his driver for a month as one eye is done two weeks before the other eye.

He already also has macular degeneration, so his eyesight ids failing fir that reason too.

Hes supposedly got the best most qualified most surgeries completed dr in the area. ( i know the drs. Reputation and accomplishments).

I wonder if i should advise him to NOT get the cataract surgery?

Wondering...i would not want to end up blind trying to gain a little bit better eyesight.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:04 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,536,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
How many drops in 5ml?

I mean, 5ml converts to 17% of an ounce!!! I've used 64 shots of one kind of eye drops from a 5ml bottle and 56 from another. Shaking the bottles, they still feel and sound like I haven't made a dent.

Doc says use them until they're gone. When's that .... July 4, 2019.

How long did it take for you to use up your "jugs" of eye drops?
1ml is about 20 so 5ml is about 100 drops.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
1ml is about 20 so 5ml is about 100 drops.

Interesting. So nine days left for the NSAID juice and 11 for the 'roids.

Thanks.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:20 PM

909 posts, read 540,047 times
Default At many hospitals worldwide, if you don't pay, you can't leave

This sucks.
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...leave-58737381

Old 10-27-2018, 09:04 AM

Default The anti-inflammatory eye drops and hypertension?

Since beginning the anti-inflammatory eye drops before and still continuing after cataract surgery, blood pressure has risen considerably.

Just wondering if the eye drops contribute. Couldn't find anything to that effect in searching, but on the rare occasions I use an anti-inflammatory for pain, especially naproxyn (Aleve) BP spikes.

On the other hand, because the small quantity of drops (5ml NSAID & 5ml steroid) are used over a relatively long period of weeks, it seems unlikely that they would cause internal difficulties.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness