U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 01:15 AM

47 posts, read 9,800 times

Advertisements

I worked on a hospital floor for 5 years where they did hip and knee replacements. I'm not a expert. But, when I began most patients were staying 3 nights. Lately, it's 1-2 days. A select few have gone home the day of surgery. It really depends on a persons activity level, pain tolerance, and overall health.

Find a ortho doc you like and ask questions. Some will do a spinal block, and the patient is out of bed soon after surgery, no foley catheter. Others get general anesthesia and don't get out of bed until the next morning and have a catheter, suction drains, pain pump, etc. There's no one size fits all, everyone has different pain tolerances. You know your body better than any doctor. So listen to it and ask yourself what is the right option for you. Usually the traditional way goes smoothly, I only saw one major complication in 5 years, and a few minor complications here and there.

Another benefit of having it done in a hospital is occupational and physical therapy work with you right away. Get you moving and show you how to get dressed following surgery. Plus, you have staff to help you get up safely and not fall. Having a syncopal episode(fainting) is fairly common the first time someone gets out of bed, following surgery. So it's important to wait for help, and not get up on your own.

Last edited by Matthew_MI; 09-26-2018 at 01:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 04:30 AM

21,421 posts, read 26,023,820 times
https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/treatm...e-replacement/

Old 09-26-2018, 11:21 AM

18,635 posts, read 6,080,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
I worked on a hospital floor for 5 years where they did hip and knee replacements. I'm not a expert. But, when I began most patients were staying 3 nights. Lately, it's 1-2 days. A select few have gone home the day of surgery. It really depends on a persons activity level, pain tolerance, and overall health.

Find a ortho doc you like and ask questions. Some will do a spinal block, and the patient is out of bed soon after surgery, no foley catheter. Others get general anesthesia and don't get out of bed until the next morning and have a catheter, suction drains, pain pump, etc. There's no one size fits all, everyone has different pain tolerances. You know your body better than any doctor. So listen to it and ask yourself what is the right option for you. Usually the traditional way goes smoothly, I only saw one major complication in 5 years, and a few minor complications here and there.

Another benefit of having it done in a hospital is occupational and physical therapy work with you right away. Get you moving and show you how to get dressed following surgery. Plus, you have staff to help you get up safely and not fall. Having a syncopal episode(fainting) is fairly common the first time someone gets out of bed, following surgery. So it's important to wait for help, and not get up on your own.
Oh I had a GOOD 5 months post op with hip replacement, went home ALONE and never had help and I was 72....then all the complications reared their ugly heads, Shorter Leg, Femoral Nerve Damage and IT Band Damage...and it's 8 yrs post op and I live with all these complications and advanced OA as well.

The body goes thru a total new alignment process, so much has been changed with these replacement surgeries. And I've found it takes TIME for the body to do it's settling with the new parts. And it goes on and on.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-26-2018 at 11:33 AM..

Old 10-03-2018, 07:01 PM

I should have added this info here:

Minimally Invasive Knee Replacement

Old 10-04-2018, 11:12 AM

I've learned a lot from this site. Now gathering info on the work done by a Ortho Surgeon in my area.

https://www.rushortho.com/specialtie...ee-replacement

Learned More here and bottom line, it's all invasive.

https://bonesmart.org/knee/minimally...nd-procedures/

I was able to view 26 patients from the surgeon's patients here in CA, and they showed the immediate bends and straightening of the their surgical knee. One thing I hear which is major from the replacements of the knee is the Bending and Straightening issues. My friend and I who are checking this out are going to keep on it.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-04-2018 at 12:25 PM..

Old 10-04-2018, 02:39 PM

4,615 posts, read 10,481,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've learned a lot from this site. Now gathering info on the work done by a Ortho Surgeon in my area.

https://www.rushortho.com/specialtie...ee-replacement

Learned More here and bottom line, it's all invasive.

https://bonesmart.org/knee/minimally...nd-procedures/

I was able to view 26 patients from the surgeon's patients here in CA, and they showed the immediate bends and straightening of the their surgical knee. One thing I hear which is major from the replacements of the knee is the Bending and Straightening issues. My friend and I who are checking this out are going to keep on it.

Drop the first 2 words and what do you have?

"Knee Replacement"

The ONLY difference between "Minimally Invasive" knee replacement and traditional approach is the size of the incision and the tools used to shape the bones and place the implants....

That's it.....

It's the EXACT SAME implants used in traditional approach.

I think you have this idea that this procedure is some magical new innovation that is done in the office...

Yes people "MAY" go home sooner but not necessarily....it is still done in an operating room hospital or outpatient based. Hospital stays are getting shorter and shorter for traditional replacement surgery as well.

I remember 25 years ago when patients were routinely in the hospital for 7-10 days after knee replacement now its about 3 days....

People who undergo traditional knee replacement are "immediately bending and straightening" their knees as well.

Again....EXACT same implants are being used....

Minimally invasive knee replacement is technically more difficult than traditional approach and will be a lot more surgeon dependent on results

Old 10-04-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post

Drop the first 2 words and what do you have?

"Knee Replacement"

The ONLY difference between "Minimally Invasive" knee replacement and traditional approach is the size of the incision and the tools used to shape the bones and place the implants....

That's it.....

It's the EXACT SAME implants used in traditional approach.

I think you have this idea that this procedure is some magical new innovation that is done in the office...

Yes people "MAY" go home sooner but not necessarily....it is still done in an operating room hospital or outpatient based. Hospital stays are getting shorter and shorter for traditional replacement surgery as well.

I remember 25 years ago when patients were routinely in the hospital for 7-10 days after knee replacement now its about 3 days....

People who undergo traditional knee replacement are "immediately bending and straightening" their knees as well.

Again....EXACT same implants are being used....

Minimally invasive knee replacement is technically more difficult than traditional approach and will be a lot more surgeon dependent on results
I've read plenty of sites about the bend issues with the conventional knee replacements.

And with this clinic here in CA. it's in and out in 2-3 hrs. I'm gathering a lot of info before I go for a first appt. I can still bend my knee, walk fairly well and my goal is not to do squats anyway.

And I realize it's a knee replacement!!!!!

Old 10-04-2018, 05:08 PM

This kinda reminds me of why I chose the Anterior hip replacement, it was newer, less invasive they say, faster recovery etc etc etc...that's what is being said about the Minimal Knee replacement...

Well I sure did end up with major complications from Anterior hip job. And I'll never know why, could blame the surgeon which I pretty much do. Surgery is Invasive.

I'll probably still go forward to visit the clinic and meet with surgeon, I may not even be a candidate. Reading another site from a Midwest clinic and learning more.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:24 PM

11,418 posts, read 19,412,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
This kinda reminds me of why I chose the Anterior hip replacement, it was newer, less invasive they say, faster recovery etc etc etc...that's what is being said about the Minimal Knee replacement...

Well I sure did end up with major complications from Anterior hip job. And I'll never know why, could blame the surgeon which I pretty much do. Surgery is Invasive.

I'll probably still go forward to visit the clinic and meet with surgeon, I may not even be a candidate. Reading another site from a Midwest clinic and learning more.
Friend just had a regular knee replacement. Was walking late morning with walker. In rehab that afternoon. Was out of the hospital the next day, after being taught how to get in and out of a car. With a cane. Rehab wasn’t easy, took weeks, but she was leaps and bounds better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or