Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 10:42 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,414,335 times

Advertisements

Has anyone other than fought the use of the Cpap machine? I tried multiple masks, found one ok, but finding myself pulling it off sometime in my sleep. When I am alone I don't use it much. Is that dangerous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 10:57 PM

71 posts, read 52,709 times
If your apnea episodes are severe enough for a doctor to prescribe the use of CPAP, then yes, it could be dangerous not to use the machine. If you had an infection and were prescribed an antibiotic, it might cause your infection to turn septic if you didn't take the antibiotics. If you don't believe me, look up Reggie White, a former NFL player whose death at age 43 was attributed to heart problems exacerbated by sleep apnea.

I don't know what configuration your CPAP/mask is, but there are many options nowadays. I've been on CPAP for 15 years and things have come a long way. My current machine has heated tubing that keeps my nose from drying out and the temperature comfortable. I gave up the full face mask and now use a modified nasal pillow that has one hole that fits under my nose. It's much less obtrusive and I don't have any issues.

It took me about 6 weeks to get fully accustomed to wearing the mask but now it's second nature and I cannot sleep well without it. Hang in there. It will get easier and you may find your daytime energy and alertness improve too. Good luck!

Old 09-27-2018, 11:05 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,620,752 times
Obstructive sleep apnea is a risk factor for strokes and heart attacks. The older you get, the greater the risk.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:46 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,652,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
Has anyone other than fought the use of the Cpap machine? I tried multiple masks, found one ok, but finding myself pulling it off sometime in my sleep. When I am alone I don't use it much. Is that dangerous?
YES! Not using your machine can be very dangerous to your health. Please do yourself a favor and keep trying different masks until you find the one that works best for you. You should not only use it at night, but also whenever you might take a nap during the daytime. Use it any time you are sleeping!

Here are some links that explain and describe the dangers involved by not treating sleep apnea:

https://www.sleepapnea.com/diagnosis/sleep-apnea-risks/

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/d...-clinic-finds/

https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorder...a-conditions#1

I hope this is helpful to you and that you find a mask that works in your situation. After a while of using it, you will get used to it and not even notice that you are wearing it. Give yourself time to adjust to it and please keep trying!

Old 09-28-2018, 02:37 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,414,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Golden Rule View Post
If your apnea episodes are severe enough for a doctor to prescribe the use of CPAP, then yes, it could be dangerous not to use the machine. If you had an infection and were prescribed an antibiotic, it might cause your infection to turn septic if you didn't take the antibiotics. If you don't believe me, look up Reggie White, a former NFL player whose death at age 43 was attributed to heart problems exacerbated by sleep apnea.

I don't know what configuration your CPAP/mask is, but there are many options nowadays. I've been on CPAP for 15 years and things have come a long way. My current machine has heated tubing that keeps my nose from drying out and the temperature comfortable. I gave up the full face mask and now use a modified nasal pillow that has one hole that fits under my nose. It's much less obtrusive and I don't have any issues.

It took me about 6 weeks to get fully accustomed to wearing the mask but now it's second nature and I cannot sleep well without it. Hang in there. It will get easier and you may find your daytime energy and alertness improve too. Good luck!
I was just diagnosed last spring and I have the same type of machine and nasal pillow mask that you have. I will work harder on using it.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:35 PM

776 posts, read 948,750 times
Lets remember folks.........When you stop breathing, during a sleep apnea incident.......your heart, brain and lungs are all starving for oxygen. Multiply that by as many as 20 episodes an HOUR, and you are flirting with death. CPAP machines are the answer, but the poor follow up by prescribing MD's after you get one is quite shabby, to say the least.

I compare it to getting custom made shoes, but the shoemaker doesn't have you come back for a fit check. The same thing for a CPAP machine.... you need to be custom fitted, not handed a "off the shelf model " that may not be right for you.

The usual complaint from apnea patients is about face mask seal.

No body seems to understand that the pre sleep period ( 2 hours before you actually get into bed ) is VERY important. Shut off the TV, computer, and radio. Take a warm shower. Drink some water and put a glass of water on the bedside table. No reading in bed. A dark room, with no distractions.

WASH your equipment ( hose, mask, and head strap ) daily. Use ONLY distilled water in your humidifier, and change filters per the manufacturer's instructions. If you are not asleep after 30 minutes, get up and walk around for a few minutes, then go back to bed. Don't have a clock positioned where you can see it from your bed. That's a guaranteed way to stay awake.

My apnea history goes back about 15 years ago. I used to have the same dream all most every night......I imagined that I was driving into the back of a dump truck, and BANG I would wake up drenched in sweat, and with my heart racing. It was me waking up after not breathing for over 2 minutes. I learned that after my first sleep study. A CPAP machine in those days was not nearly as sophisticated as the ones today, but I was a lot happier when I got mine in 2001. Today I sleep very well, and get up fresh and ready to get on with my day.

Undiagnosed sleep apnea sufferers wake up tired, are grumpy and feel like crap all day. They may be overweight, smoke, and drink too much. The sleep test is the medical method to asses and treat this life threatening condition.

Keep trying. The reward is well worth the effort.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:54 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,652,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
Lets remember folks.........When you stop breathing, during a sleep apnea incident.......your heart, brain and lungs are all starving for oxygen. Multiply that by as many as 20 episodes an HOUR, and you are flirting with death. CPAP machines are the answer, but the poor follow up by prescribing MD's after you get one is quite shabby, to say the least.

I compare it to getting custom made shoes, but the shoemaker doesn't have you come back for a fit check. The same thing for a CPAP machine.... you need to be custom fitted, not handed a "off the shelf model " that may not be right for you.

The usual complaint from apnea patients is about face mask seal.

No body seems to understand that the pre sleep period ( 2 hours before you actually get into bed ) is VERY important. Shut off the TV, computer, and radio. Take a warm shower. Drink some water and put a glass of water on the bedside table. No reading in bed. A dark room, with no distractions.

WASH your equipment ( hose, mask, and head strap ) daily. Use ONLY distilled water in your humidifier, and change filters per the manufacturer's instructions. If you are not asleep after 30 minutes, get up and walk around for a few minutes, then go back to bed. Don't have a clock positioned where you can see it from your bed. That's a guaranteed way to stay awake.

My apnea history goes back about 15 years ago. I used to have the same dream all most every night......I imagined that I was driving into the back of a dump truck, and BANG I would wake up drenched in sweat, and with my heart racing. It was me waking up after not breathing for over 2 minutes. I learned that after my first sleep study. A CPAP machine in those days was not nearly as sophisticated as the ones today, but I was a lot happier when I got mine in 2001. Today I sleep very well, and get up fresh and ready to get on with my day.

Undiagnosed sleep apnea sufferers wake up tired, are grumpy and feel like crap all day. They may be overweight, smoke, and drink too much. The sleep test is the medical method to asses and treat this life threatening condition.

Keep trying. The reward is well worth the effort.
You don't need to wash those items every day!

Old 09-29-2018, 02:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,038,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
If you've been advised to use a CPAP machine its because you had a sleep study that found you have apnea which means as you sleep you have bouts of no breathing which puts a heck of a strain on your heart, get used to the mask as you will be wearing one for the rest of your life.
Surely theres one you can feel comfortable with = https://www.google.ca/search?q=cpap+...w=1098&bih=507

Old 09-30-2018, 07:43 AM

776 posts, read 948,750 times
vrexy.

I wrote 7 paragraphs, and you pick out one line . My opinion is that daily cleaning of the equipment equals effective therapy. YMMV.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:50 PM

924 posts, read 1,666,046 times
In the year prior to DH's diagnosis he had three car accidents. In each one, he was stopped at a red light and rolled into the car in front of him with his truck (a box truck). He didn't realize it, but he was falling asleep waiting for the light to change and then his foot would slide off the brake. No one was hurt, but there was a decent amount of property damage.

After he was diagnosed, and he had been using the mask for awhile, he told me he was glad he no longer had to ride with his head out the window on his way home from work to keep himself awake. He had been doing this every day on the highway! That was when we made the connection between the year of three accidents and his apnea. In the 20 years since then, he has only had one accident.

Please, when you do not wear you mask, you are not only a danger to yourself but also to other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness