U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 06:37 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,960,621 times

Advertisements

I used to binge drink on the weekends in my 20s & 30s. Nothing good ever came from it. I was lucky not to get killed or at least a DUI. One day I just decided to stop. These days I might have a glass of wine while preparing Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner and maybe a cocktail to watch the ball drop on New Years Eve, but that's about it. I don't miss it at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 08:20 PM

2,386 posts, read 5,276,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Congrats and good luck!

I've never drank alcohol in my life, going on 42 years now. It's interesting in that I'm the only in my family and extended family, which includes 20 first cousins and over 20 aunts and uncles that doesn't drink. I remember vividly when I was 7 and my Dad offered me a Miller Lite and I said no, both of my sisters said yes.

Not sure what caused me to say no and continue to say no for the rest of my life.

SUPER impressive. I was on my way to being the sober one in my family till I was 25. I started late but started non-the-less and I don't have any regrets but I realize how lame it was seeing other people get wasted. I never, ever thought it was cool and having experienced it more than I needed to, I truly know how much of a waste being hungover is.

I wish my brothers, nephews and nieces can be sober and not rely on drinking or smoking at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think binge drinking is a slippery slope. If you can forgo alcohol from now on, itís the safest thing.
If you can have a beer or a glass of wine or a cocktail once in awhile, thereís nothing wrong with that either. Only you can decide if the binging was a fluke, or if you will continue to do it.
I definitely slipped up. I rather forgo drinking then having to over do it again. Usually when I over drink its hard for me to drink for a good while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You never explained the circumstances around your drinking. This sounds like an extremely big change from your regular drinking, but you're not a teetotaler so should have been able to handle a few more drinks without this kind of reaction. So that makes it sound like you drank an entire fifth of whiskey or something!

So what precipitated this? Curiosity? Wanting to experience a Kavanaugh-type blackout? I'm only half kidding - just because this was a totally new experience for you and you don't say that you were celebrating or grieving or with new people or family or much of anything. You need a little insight into this to come up with the best solution.

Actually, its NOT a totally new experience. It's an handful of an experience and its one too many. I need to get my act together and not do this as a grown man. There's NOTHING in it I am happy about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I was never a big drinker. I would have a glass of wine once or twice a week. On special occasions, I would drink more. And there are times that I did over indulge, although those were rare.

I got really sick (unrelated to alcohol) a few years ago. I didn't drink (couldn't even if I'd wanted to) during my illness, which lasted about a year.

I could totally drink now if I wanted to, but I just thought, "Why?" So I haven't had a drink in 2 years. Don't have to worry about arranging rides or feeling tired or a little sick the next day. And I'm showing my kids, ages 11 & 13, by example, that you don't have to drink. Just because it's a party or holiday or other people are doing it, doesn't mean you have to. I just don't see the point in it anymore.

Right on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Good luck! IIRC, about the only "downside" to quitting drinking is that you find out how boring drunk people are.

It's not a downside. In fact, I HATE being around a bunch of drunken idiots and I hate being one myself. Nothing glorious about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
LOL. And how you can almost chart the loss of IQ points per drink as they get smarter, wittier, sexier, and more clever as the night goes on.

TELL ME ABOUT IT. It's a shame I have been one of those people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I used to binge drink on the weekends in my 20s & 30s. Nothing good ever came from it. I was lucky not to get killed or at least a DUI. One day I just decided to stop. These days I might have a glass of wine while preparing Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner and maybe a cocktail to watch the ball drop on New Years Eve, but that's about it. I don't miss it at all.

Whenever I get back to drinking or if I do, it'll be on special occasions or once in a while. And I'll stick to my Japanese beers (Orion, Asashi, Kirin) and my maple whiskies. With my whiskey it'll be a small glass as I read a book or chat with a friend(s). That's about it. Being out in public while getting smashed is no longer in my book. I'd much rather be sober, even if it means I'm being "boring" to some.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:23 PM

13,356 posts, read 7,121,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
SUPER impressive. I was on my way to being the sober one in my family till I was 25. I started late but started non-the-less and I don't have any regrets but I realize how lame it was seeing other people get wasted. I never, ever thought it was cool and having experienced it more than I needed to, I truly know how much of a waste being hungover is.

I wish my brothers, nephews and nieces can be sober and not rely on drinking or smoking at all.

I definitely slipped up. I rather forgo drinking then having to over do it again. Usually when I over drink its hard for me to drink for a good while.

Actually, its NOT a totally new experience. It's an handful of an experience and its one too many. I need to get my act together and not do this as a grown man. There's NOTHING in it I am happy about.

Right on!

It's not a downside. In fact, I HATE being around a bunch of drunken idiots and I hate being one myself. Nothing glorious about it.

TELL ME ABOUT IT. It's a shame I have been one of those people.

Whenever I get back to drinking or if I do, it'll be on special occasions or once in a while. And I'll stick to my Japanese beers (Orion, Asashi, Kirin) and my maple whiskies. With my whiskey it'll be a small glass as I read a book or chat with a friend(s). That's about it. Being out in public while getting smashed is no longer in my book. I'd much rather be sober, even if it means I'm being "boring" to some.
You still don't seem to have any insight about it and you're wavering now saying you'll probably drink on special occasions but only this, this, and this. WTH difference does it make if you only drink japanese beer and whiskey? You sound like someone I know who said she wasn't an alcoholic because she drank only Absolute vodka - not the cheap stuff! You're rationalizing and you don't even know why.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:27 PM

8,142 posts, read 7,466,203 times
Good for you!

I can take it or leave it but I love beer and mimosas.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:39 PM

7,093 posts, read 2,210,201 times
Quote:
Good luck! IIRC, about the only "downside" to quitting drinking is that you find out how boring drunk people are.
A friend who was an alcoholic reached a crisis in his life and marriage at age 35 and gave it up completely. But then, he had to develop a whole new set of friends, as most of those with whom he'd spent time, were also alcoholics. He couldn't stand to be around them anymore and they didn't want to be around him.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:29 AM

14,505 posts, read 11,481,746 times
Quote:
hahahah this is very true... I was never a heavy drinker , in fact it scunnered me seeing drunks in the street but I liked a drink.. but stopped over two years ago and wish Id have did it much sooner... now I cant be bothered listening to the silly conversations when people start drinking.. it becomes slurry and stupid and some of course have mood changes that develop into argurments and worse... I cant moan at others though as did take a drink for years and wish now Id wisened up sooner.. good luck ..

Old 10-03-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You still don't seem to have any insight about it and you're wavering now saying you'll probably drink on special occasions but only this, this, and this. WTH difference does it make if you only drink japanese beer and whiskey? You sound like someone I know who said she wasn't an alcoholic because she drank only Absolute vodka - not the cheap stuff! You're rationalizing and you don't even know why.

Listen, I KNOW exactly what I'm doing. I'm staying away from alcohol indefinitely thats what I am doing. I'm not saying I'm never going to drink again. Staying away from alcohol is not a huge problem for me but after my excessive drinking this past Sunday, I have no desire to drink for a while. Just the thought of having a drink is making me sick. If I do decide to stay away from alcohol for good then thats excellent. If I do decide to drink again, it's not ever going to be excessive and I will regulate my drinking much more. No more pouring and chugging beer. Not happening.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
A friend who was an alcoholic reached a crisis in his life and marriage at age 35 and gave it up completely. But then, he had to develop a whole new set of friends, as most of those with whom he'd spent time, were also alcoholics. He couldn't stand to be around them anymore and they didn't want to be around him.

This is one of the things I hate when I tell people I'm staying away from drinking. They'll sort of come up with excuses for me not to drink like "Well, you don't always got trashed!" but they don't understand that when I drink, its never to get trashed. I never intend to get to that point.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:21 AM

69,275 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I'm NOT an alcoholic at all. In fact, I'm not a heavy drinker and my drinking patterns are rather inconsistent. Maybe one week I'll have a beer or two 1-3 days out of the week. Sometimes if its a festive weekend or long weekend I can drink throughout that weekend. There's even times where I'll completely forget about the beer or whiskey I'll have laying around and I'll give those beers away. MAYBE the whiskey. If not the whiskey, it easily be stored away for MONTHS and I can completely forget about it. i can easily go weeks without drinking, without a problem. In fact, I can count the moments I've had really bad hangovers on one hand in my 8 years of drinking (prior to being 25, I never drank at all).

However, this past Sunday I got COMPLETELY trashed and I can't even live with myself. I had to call out of work yesterday and today because I am too sick. Though I am getting better now, my mental health is suffering. I feel intensely embarrassed, ashamed, and not proud of myself whatsoever. To others they'll say "Oh, you must've had a good night!" To me, it was all NOT worth the price to pay how I feel. It's not worth me being in a state of vulnerability, where I can't recall moments clearly and where I wouldn't be able to be vigilant and aware. Not only for myself but my company, my family, friends, my girlfriend. It bothers me to no end that in that state I was in, I was just completely useless, that I became a burden to other people. That other people in my home had to clean up after me. It bothers me that my girlfriend is ignoring me, because I probably said something stupid over the phone. Now I'm stressing out if my relationship is over.

Normally, I never get trahsed, wasted, intoxicated in the manner I did on Sunday. In fact, I'm much more careful, much more vigilant and completely capable of having fun without alcohol and beer. I simply drank way too much than I intended but this isn't going to be an excuse. This hangover is so intense I've been contemplating suicide. I feel absolutely worthless and not good at all.

From here on out I am going to be sober indefinitely and maybe for good. I care way too much about my physical and mental health and I never want to feel this low again. I feel less than zero and don't even feel alive.

Anyway, I needed to get this catharsis out someway, somehow.
I don't think I would base going sober forever on one bad experience. On the other hand I give you credit for your decision and hope are successful. YOu must have really hung one on to feel that bad.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:27 AM

69,275 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Many of remember those days in our 20s and 30s. Yes, we were lucky not to get a DWI or worse kill ourselves or someone else. I don't want to think about the days of drinking and driving. I still love my wine, I do have a few glasses every night but I never drink and drive. Well, that isn't quite true. I will to our daughters for a glass of wine and drive the 4 miles home or something like that. But no drinking and driving. Of course at 81 plus I am lucky to still be driving I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness