U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 11:01 AM

4,579 posts, read 6,124,608 times

Advertisements

Most everyone hits the crossroad. I have fond memories of my party days but one night such as the OP had made me say forget this. So now if more than one beer it's at home and if out no more than 2 beers if that.

I really don't see how or why booze is sold to be consumed outside of the home. Respect the effect.. Just shake your head and move on. Also don't try to run for public office..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 11:35 AM

4,827 posts, read 5,877,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Most everyone hits the crossroad. I have fond memories of my party days but one night such as the OP had made me say forget this. So now if more than one beer it's at home and if out no more than 2 beers if that.

I really don't see how or why booze is sold to be consumed outside of the home. Respect the effect.. Just shake your head and move on. Also don't try to run for public office..
People generally like to be social when drinking. So a lot cocktails, beer, and wine is consumed at restaurants. Also people entertain guests in their home and depending on who they are will more will more than likely offer an alcoholic beverage. There is nothing wrong with that. But people need to be responsible and not drive. With Uber and Lyft plus taxis there are really no excuses to drink and drive.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:16 AM

2,734 posts, read 974,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
SUPER impressive. I was on my way to being the sober one in my family till I was 25. I started late but started non-the-less and I don't have any regrets but I realize how lame it was seeing other people get wasted. I never, ever thought it was cool and having experienced it more than I needed to, I truly know how much of a waste being hungover is.

I wish my brothers, nephews and nieces can be sober and not rely on drinking or smoking at all.

I definitely slipped up. I rather forgo drinking then having to over do it again. Usually when I over drink its hard for me to drink for a good while.

Actually, its NOT a totally new experience. It's an handful of an experience and its one too many. I need to get my act together and not do this as a grown man. There's NOTHING in it I am happy about.

Right on!

It's not a downside. In fact, I HATE being around a bunch of drunken idiots and I hate being one myself. Nothing glorious about it.

TELL ME ABOUT IT. It's a shame I have been one of those people.

Whenever I get back to drinking or if I do, it'll be on special occasions or once in a while. And I'll stick to my Japanese beers (Orion, Asashi, Kirin) and my maple whiskies. With my whiskey it'll be a small glass as I read a book or chat with a friend(s). That's about it. Being out in public while getting smashed is no longer in my book. I'd much rather be sober, even if it means I'm being "boring" to some.
Well, that didn't last long, did it?

Alcoholism is very unattractive. It can ruin your life (and that of your family).

I hope you get help.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:32 AM

983 posts, read 535,444 times
Please don't commit suicide because you're hungover! It will pass! Eat healthy foods to get your head back together.
Congrats: you reached a bottom. This is a good thing. Nothing bad happened like jail, DUI, etc..
Stop drinking now, period, and you will save yourself a lifetime of potential misery and shame. The problems start with having the first one, not the tenth.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:59 AM

4,633 posts, read 5,805,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Well, that didn't last long, did it?

Alcoholism is very unattractive. It can ruin your life (and that of your family).

I hope you get help.
Interesting that you can draw that conclusion based on what the OP said below. Do you think he is in denial or what special diagnostic powers do you have to determine that he is an alcoholic? Do you think he is in denial of how serious his problem really is?

Quote:
I'm NOT an alcoholic at all. In fact, I'm not a heavy drinker and my drinking patterns are rather inconsistent.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:28 PM

13,268 posts, read 7,059,798 times
Apparently OP is over his hangover and everything is back to "normal".

Old 10-06-2018, 06:53 PM

4,827 posts, read 5,877,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Please don't commit suicide because you're hungover! It will pass! Eat healthy foods to get your head back together.
Congrats: you reached a bottom. This is a good thing. Nothing bad happened like jail, DUI, etc..
Stop drinking now, period, and you will save yourself a lifetime of potential misery and shame. The problems start with having the first one, not the tenth.
The OP said they were not an alcoholic. They went overboard and now no longer wants to drink. Drinking for most people will not bring a lifetime of misery and shame. If you are an alcoholic then yes, alcohol needs to be avoided at all cost. But not everyone who drinks becomes an alcoholic.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:24 AM

13,268 posts, read 7,059,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
The OP said they were not an alcoholic. They went overboard and now no longer wants to drink. Drinking for most people will not bring a lifetime of misery and shame. If you are an alcoholic then yes, alcohol needs to be avoided at all cost. But not everyone who drinks becomes an alcoholic.
To me it was the OP going all dramatic and overboard and really giving very few details about his drinking history...which makes me think he really is an alcoholic. I'm surprised no one mentioned the perils of being a "dry" alcoholic - someone who may stop drinking but hasn't done anything to look at his actual behavior outside of drinking that led up to this.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:21 PM

13,566 posts, read 21,439,460 times
Quote:
I'm NOT an alcoholic at all. In fact, I'm not a heavy drinker and my drinking patterns are rather inconsistent. Maybe one week I'll have a beer or two 1-3 days out of the week. Sometimes if its a festive weekend or long weekend I can drink throughout that weekend. There's even times where I'll completely forget about the beer or whiskey I'll have laying around and I'll give those beers away. MAYBE the whiskey. If not the whiskey, it easily be stored away for MONTHS and I can completely forget about it. i can easily go weeks without drinking, without a problem. In fact, I can count the moments I've had really bad hangovers on one hand in my 8 years of drinking (prior to being 25, I never drank at all).

However, this past Sunday I got COMPLETELY trashed and I can't even live with myself. I had to call out of work yesterday and today because I am too sick. Though I am getting better now, my mental health is suffering. I feel intensely embarrassed, ashamed, and not proud of myself whatsoever. To others they'll say "Oh, you must've had a good night!" To me, it was all NOT worth the price to pay how I feel. It's not worth me being in a state of vulnerability, where I can't recall moments clearly and where I wouldn't be able to be vigilant and aware. Not only for myself but my company, my family, friends, my girlfriend. It bothers me to no end that in that state I was in, I was just completely useless, that I became a burden to other people. That other people in my home had to clean up after me. It bothers me that my girlfriend is ignoring me, because I probably said something stupid over the phone. Now I'm stressing out if my relationship is over.

Normally, I never get trahsed, wasted, intoxicated in the manner I did on Sunday. In fact, I'm much more careful, much more vigilant and completely capable of having fun without alcohol and beer. I simply drank way too much than I intended but this isn't going to be an excuse. This hangover is so intense I've been contemplating suicide. I feel absolutely worthless and not good at all.

From here on out I am going to be sober indefinitely and maybe for good. I care way too much about my physical and mental health and I never want to feel this low again. I feel less than zero and don't even feel alive.

Anyway, I needed to get this catharsis out someway, somehow.
Talk is cheap.

If you want to stop drinking booze, do it.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:52 PM

15,073 posts, read 15,136,180 times
I just put strict limits on how often I drink, twice a week is an absolute maximum, and I do my best to not go too overboard with how much I drink.

I used to drink stuff like wine-coolers, beer and mixed-drinks.........and the hangovers could and most times were nasty. Now I drink straight-up hard-liquor and it goes down much better....I could almost say the next day I feel more refreshed than usual, no hangover at all. I would posit that a lot of hangovers are caused by the alcohol reacting to the carby-junk and/or additives present in many
alcoholic-beverages.

Escapism via alcohol for the win! Drank a good amount of straight-up Rum last night.....it was very enjoyable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness