U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 06:55 PM

18,514 posts, read 6,018,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Got mine two weeks ago. No free shot this year from my employer as I am retired.

Husband (72 years old) refuses to get one....
Interesting, usually husband/wife are in synch. Does your husband get the flu?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 06:59 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,170,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You may not notice it, but things change in your body:

In response to a regular flu shot, older people produce 50 to 75 percent fewer antibodies, which protect against the vaccine antigens, than do younger adults.

Evidence that a high-dose flu vaccine can compensate for this difference originally comes from studies that found higher post-vaccine antibody levels in older adults who received high-dose flu vaccines than in those who received standard flu vaccines.

In addition, one study found almost 25 percent fewer cases of proven influenza in adults age 65 and older who took the high-dose vaccine compared with those who took the standard-dose vaccine.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...e/faq-20058032
I am 70. Have never had a flu shot or the flu in about 30 years. Certainly have been around enough people with the flu in all those years, but I need a high dose flu shot?

Never mind. I will just go with what works for me. Nothing. Not trying to tell anyone else what to do. I believe in choice by the individual.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:23 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,170,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Interesting, usually husband/wife are in synch. Does your husband get the flu?
No, husband and wife are not always in synch. My husband dutifully gets his flu shot every year. He knows my feelings on this, and never tries to talk me into it. We just agree to disagree. It's our individual choice.

Some years he still gets the flu, even with that Senior dosage. I don't catch it from him when he, or others, has had it. Don't know why not, but not going to question it.

Old Today, 11:08 AM

3,948 posts, read 1,747,023 times
I've been scanning through hundreds of pages of old threads here on CD, related to this topic & a few other related topics.

It is my only way to "make lemons into lemonade"; regarding both my & my son's status as "on the spectrum": Utilizing my (double-edged) "gift" of Hyperlexia combined with the motivating pain of watching the days turn into weeks & months & now years ... for this once little (now huge) boy, who has yet to run wild & free on a playground, ride a bicycle or even catch a ball ... further facilitated with the monotony of forever caregiving, as it plunges me into irreversible poverty:

This; I can do. I can read like a CPU & I can learn & maybe one day it will help & by help; I mean that the millions of pages of Google search results will return (they are gone) & fewer threads on CD will be locked; because people will be communicating again.

Anyways; while combing through 11 years of CD threads, I noticed a common request for "plain facts". Not obvious Anti nor Pro leaning facts. Not the Epidemiological Sit-And-Spin, nor the confounded into oblivion blather (BOTH camps do this; don't try to tell me otherwise).

Surprisingly, I had ran into this publication a few weeks ago & thought it might be interesting (for the interested), regarding the Flu, because it does try to analyze "averted outcomes" regarding flu immunizations, including years back to 2009 & flu season timing risk, down to the week:

https://www.soa.org/Files/Research/P...-influenza.pdf

I am not familiar with this organization but I don't detect either Anti nor Pro influence. All data utilized is (raw) CDC data & their methods of analysis are clearly stated. If anyone has either praise or criticism; I'd be interested to hear their perspective but I don't think it could be commandeered for either the pro or anti debate (unless there is disagreement on analytical methods); it seems to be just "plain facts".

Last edited by coschristi; Today at 11:21 AM..

Old Today, 03:03 PM

21,379 posts, read 25,951,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I've been scanning through hundreds of pages of old threads here on CD, related to this topic & a few other related topics.

It is my only way to "make lemons into lemonade"; regarding both my & my son's status as "on the spectrum": Utilizing my (double-edged) "gift" of Hyperlexia combined with the motivating pain of watching the days turn into weeks & months & now years ... for this once little (now huge) boy, who has yet to run wild & free on a playground, ride a bicycle or even catch a ball ... further facilitated with the monotony of forever caregiving, as it plunges me into irreversible poverty:

This; I can do. I can read like a CPU & I can learn & maybe one day it will help & by help; I mean that the millions of pages of Google search results will return (they are gone) & fewer threads on CD will be locked; because people will be communicating again.

Anyways; while combing through 11 years of CD threads, I noticed a common request for "plain facts". Not obvious Anti nor Pro leaning facts. Not the Epidemiological Sit-And-Spin, nor the confounded into oblivion blather (BOTH camps do this; don't try to tell me otherwise).

Surprisingly, I had ran into this publication a few weeks ago & thought it might be interesting (for the interested), regarding the Flu, because it does try to analyze "averted outcomes" regarding flu immunizations, including years back to 2009 & flu season timing risk, down to the week:

https://www.soa.org/Files/Research/P...-influenza.pdf

I am not familiar with this organization but I don't detect either Anti nor Pro influence. All data utilized is (raw) CDC data & their methods of analysis are clearly stated. If anyone has either praise or criticism; I'd be interested to hear their perspective but I don't think it could be commandeered for either the pro or anti debate (unless there is disagreement on analytical methods); it seems to be just "plain facts".
The data in the article is epidemiological data.

Old Today, 03:23 PM

1,678 posts, read 682,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
OK, I have the definitive answer to the timing issue. I was reading "Martha Stewart Living" at the nail salon today. She had an October calendar in there, and October 3 was designated "Get flu shot". Today you are supposed to pick apples and make cider.

Darn!! I screwed up completely!! I did get the flu shot though, right after I gave blood. Free at the medical center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness