U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 07:56 AM

1,247 posts, read 543,362 times

Advertisements

I got one yesterday at my doctor's office. I don't think it's too early at this point.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:13 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,295,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Does insurance cover a second shot? I'll bet not...

Even if it doesn’t they’re cheap. $40.99 at cvs, probably comparable elsewhere. We get them for free at work but for $40 I’d get a second if I was worried. I get mine in late sept and it has always lasted the duration of the season...

Old 10-04-2018, 08:18 AM

953 posts, read 605,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Can anyone explain how they know when the flu will start? It's like a planned event.

Also what is this about it 'wearing off' if you get it too early? Aren't vaccines lifetime immunity? That's the whole point and 'science' behind vaccines, right?
The flu virus mutates. So the vaccine from last year won't be effective this year.

However, not all viruses mutate as frequently as the flu virus. So you don't need to get a polio virus vaccine every year, for example.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:22 AM

84,961 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
It's true that there were a few isolated early flu cases this year, but does that justify getting it so early that you're not adequately protected when you're much more likely to catch it -- when the flu is pandemic in February?
From the CDC:
Ask the Experts about Influenza Vaccines - CDC experts answer Q&As
"Protection from influenza vaccine is thought to persist for at least 6 months. Protection declines over time because of waning antibody and because of changes in the circulating influenza virus from year to year. Antibody persistence may be shorter for persons age 65 years and older."

Six months from today is April 4. IMO, and I have worked in flu programs for many years, this is a good time to get the vaccine. I've seen early flu seasons, and I've seen late seasons here in Colorado. The law of averages favors late here, but that's not 100%. The swine flu came along in August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Even if it doesn’t they’re cheap. $40.99 at cvs, probably comparable elsewhere. We get them for free at work but for $40 I’d get a second if I was worried. I get mine in late sept and it has always lasted the duration of the season...
Second shots are not recommended.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:09 AM

4,781 posts, read 1,544,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
We can predict when flu season will be based on observation of past flu seasons. Then there is this:

The Reason for the Season: why flu strikes in winter - Science in the News

Flu vaccines provide protection only for the strains in the vaccine and that protection is not lifetime. That does not mean that no vaccines provide lifetime protection. Most do, which is the reason adults do not need boosters for all vaccine preventable diseases.
Flu season isn't based on any evidence of the current virus. It is simply based on date chosen from what happened the prior year, even though the virus is completely different year to year. Which is why the flu vaccine is different year to year, which is why everyone has to get a flu shot every year.

Someone who posted was talking about how it doesn't cover you for a year at all. That if you get it "too early" it won't last the season. What's that about? That makes no sense.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:34 AM

28,196 posts, read 2,196,057 times
I plan on getting mine tomorrow, as we are going on a short trip in a few weeks, & will be around lots of people. (inside) I get them every year.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:50 AM

81 posts, read 27,159 times
Quote:
Of course they start giving it in August, but now that it's early October, is it still too early to get this? You want to time it to be most effective when the flu is most prevalent -- usually in February. Anyone know?
It is not too early. We started vaccinating patients in my office this week. Our staff were vaccinated in September.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:51 AM

84,961 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Flu season isn't based on any evidence of the current virus. It is simply based on date chosen from what happened the prior year, even though the virus is completely different year to year. Which is why the flu vaccine is different year to year, which is why everyone has to get a flu shot every year.

Someone who posted was talking about how it doesn't cover you for a year at all. That if you get it "too early" it won't last the season. What's that about? That makes no sense.
Here in the northwestern quadrant of the world, we are lucky WRT flu because flu strains tend to travel south to north and east to west. Therefore, we can predict from what's happening in Australia what we might expect in the US/Canada. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good.

As far as your second paragraph, there has been some preliminary research that vaccine immunity might wane in 5-6 months. As always, more research is needed.
https://www.statnews.com/2017/01/12/flu-shot-timing/

Old 10-04-2018, 11:44 AM

3,029 posts, read 1,208,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
The flu virus mutates. So the vaccine from last year won't be effective this year.

However, not all viruses mutate as frequently as the flu virus. So you don't need to get a polio virus vaccine every year, for example.
Keep in mind that even if it mutates and you get the flu after having gotten a flu shot, you might not feel the effects as strongly as people who haven’t gotten the shot. I have heard that from people in the past and that is often the case. I have a coworker who said that last year her son got the shot because he has asthma and she and her daughter did not. She and her daughter both ended up getting pneumonia but her son recovered much more quickly. Last year’s probably won’t be very effective at all, but even if one is only 30% effective this year or you get a late season flu, you might not feel the effects as much as someone who didn’t get the flu shot at all this year.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:34 PM

5,644 posts, read 3,194,565 times
I started a thread back in September about my daughter and the flu. It might be relevant to this thread. My daughter was diagnosed with Type A back on September 13th. That was the first day she developed a 102 fever with vomiting and diarrhea. She did not have, nor did develop, any respiratory symptoms. Doctor did not give her Tamiflu. She probably would have vomited it anyway. Even after the fever and vomiting went away, she said she had no appetite for a long time. Generally, felt weak and very tired for weeks. Lost 10 lbs.

Since it is now October 4th, maybe an update.Her husband and sons (2 and 4) went the next day to get flu shots. None of them came down with the flu, although obviously they had already been exposed to it before their flu shots. If not from her coughing and sneezing (she didn't have), but being around her breathing living in the same household? Doesn't it take 2 weeks for the flu vaccination to work? Maybe simple breathing isn't quite as contagious as coughing and sneezing is?

Daughter is a stay at home Mom. My original thread questioned where she caught the flu and how long it takes for symptoms to appear. She and her family usually get their flu shots in October. I went away with her on September 9th and 10th. We were in a car together for 4 hours, stayed in a hotel, and went to dinner at a very crowded restaurant. I do not remember anyone around us coughing and sneezing. Our entire family ate dinner together on September 10th.

My husband gets his Flu Shot every October. I have never had a flu shot in my life. Maybe simple "breathing" isn't quite enough to catch the flu from someone else? Moderator cut: Make sure we do not veer into a vaccine debate.

Last edited by in_newengland; 10-04-2018 at 02:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness