U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 12:38 PM

21,489 posts, read 26,089,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Flu season isn't based on any evidence of the current virus. It is simply based on date chosen from what happened the prior year, even though the virus is completely different year to year. Which is why the flu vaccine is different year to year, which is why everyone has to get a flu shot every year.

Someone who posted was talking about how it doesn't cover you for a year at all. That if you get it "too early" it won't last the season. What's that about? That makes no sense.
It does not matter what strains of the flu virus are circulating in a particular year. We know from past experience approximately when the season will start and end, though some seasons start earlier or end later. The timing of peak activity will vary, too. There is nothing mysterious about it. In addition, the US experience typically is very similar to the one in Australia, where their flu season is during our summer months, because it is winter there. The season that just finished in Australia was milder than average, which does not guarantee the same for the US, as flu viruses easily mutate, but it provides reason for optimism. The dominant strain in Australia was an H1N1 covered by the vaccine.

For most people the vaccine will last the entire season. There is no reason t get it very early and then take another shot. Best timing is probably before the end of October unless your community is already seeing flu activity. If it is, take the vaccine now.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:43 PM

5,476 posts, read 6,186,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Flu seems off to an early start this season, so it may be wise to go on and take the vaccine now.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/cdc-w...hjWsjF0IgINWM/

You might check with your doctor and see whether there are cases reported in your own community already.

The page seems to be from the 2012 flu season?

I haven't seen anything about the flu being off to an early start for this season.

I thought I had the flu and was feeling pretty bad but it turns out I have pneumonia.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:20 PM

84,962 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

I haven't seen anything about the flu being off to an early start for this season.

I thought I had the flu and was feeling pretty bad but it turns out I have pneumonia.
Well, there's this from almost a month ago now.
https://www.masslive.com/news/index....ted_cases.html (Massachusetts)

https://www.koat.com/article/new-mex...eason/23391044 (New Mexico)

Yes, flu season is here | AP /KPNS | Kentucky New Era (Kentucky)

https://news.delaware.gov/2018/09/11/flu-in-delaware/ (Delaware)

Old 10-04-2018, 01:36 PM

1,527 posts, read 902,620 times
I got my flu shot two weeks ago. There were at least two plane fulls of people from overseas with the flu (remember the one quarantined in New York). Since I have a planned trip in two weeks, I wanted to be sure I got my shot and it had a change to start working before I started going to airports where people are walking around mixing germs and possibly the flu. I'll be covered for the holidays/holiday travel too.

The shot is supposed to last about 6 months so that brings me to mid March, pretty much the end of the season. And I have no real plans for then so if I get sick then, so be it. I absolutely can't afford to get the flue anytime in the next three months though.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:44 PM

2,477 posts, read 1,295,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
From the CDC:
Ask the Experts about Influenza Vaccines - CDC experts answer Q&As
"Protection from influenza vaccine is thought to persist for at least 6 months. Protection declines over time because of waning antibody and because of changes in the circulating influenza virus from year to year. Antibody persistence may be shorter for persons age 65 years and older."

Six months from today is April 4. IMO, and I have worked in flu programs for many years, this is a good time to get the vaccine. I've seen early flu seasons, and I've seen late seasons here in Colorado. The law of averages favors late here, but that's not 100%. The swine flu came along in August.

Second shots are not recommended.
Iím personally not recommending it, just stating a fact. However if the doctors who deal with it every day do it it canít be harmful either. I had two a couple years ago which is when someone told me that story. Mine was due to a new job and a paperwork issue. Easier to get a second shot than track the paperwork down from a previous employer.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

You are correct about the date. I thought I had seen a similar article for this year.

It is possible to start with flu and end up with pneumonia, too.

See Kat's links below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

Old 10-04-2018, 02:54 PM

7,081 posts, read 3,780,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It does not matter what strains of the flu virus are circulating in a particular year. We know from past experience approximately when the season will start and end, though some seasons start earlier or end later. The timing of peak activity will vary, too. There is nothing mysterious about it. In addition, the US experience typically is very similar to the one in Australia, where their flu season is during our summer months, because it is winter there. The season that just finished in Australia was milder than average, which does not guarantee the same for the US, as flu viruses easily mutate, but it provides reason for optimism. The dominant strain in Australia was an H1N1 covered by the vaccine.

For most people the vaccine will last the entire season. There is no reason t get it very early and then take another shot. Best timing is probably before the end of October unless your community is already seeing flu activity. If it is, take the vaccine now.
Yes, but HOW FAR "before the end of October"? That's the point of this thread.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:57 PM

84,962 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The CDC isn't really saying. But we're into October now, there is flu in the US in various communities around the country, so I'm going to give my opinion that any time now is a good time to get it.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
If doctors are seeing people with flu where you live, do it now. If not, before the last day of the month.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:17 PM

1,715 posts, read 3,661,987 times
I got mine today. And since I'm over 65 they gave me the HD version. I went to a Rite Aid that really is out of the mainstream traffic and she told me that they already dispensed a Tamaflu, so it is around here. I had 2 major surgeries in the last year and I absolutely do not need to get the flu. I also got the Prevnar 13 pneumonia shot as well.

Now I just have to figure out if Medicare (or my supplement or Part D) is going to pay for the Shingrix. Although she did tell me that they have a wait list and every now and then they get in a package of 10 and they call the first 10 on the list. I wonder if the mfg company is managing to gear up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness