U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 05:10 AM

9,173 posts, read 20,201,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I started a thread back in September about my daughter and the flu. It might be relevant to this thread. My daughter was diagnosed with Type A back on September 13th. That was the first day she developed a 102 fever with vomiting and diarrhea. She did not have, nor did develop, any respiratory symptoms. Doctor did not give her Tamiflu. She probably would have vomited it anyway. Even after the fever and vomiting went away, she said she had no appetite for a long time. Generally, felt weak and very tired for weeks. Lost 10 lbs.

Since it is now October 4th, maybe an update.Her husband and sons (2 and 4) went the next day to get flu shots. None of them came down with the flu, although obviously they had already been exposed to it before their flu shots. If not from her coughing and sneezing (she didn't have), but being around her breathing living in the same household? Doesn't it take 2 weeks for the flu vaccination to work? Maybe simple breathing isn't quite as contagious as coughing and sneezing is?

Daughter is a stay at home Mom. My original thread questioned where she caught the flu and how long it takes for symptoms to appear. She and her family usually get their flu shots in October. I went away with her on September 9th and 10th. We were in a car together for 4 hours, stayed in a hotel, and went to dinner at a very crowded restaurant. I do not remember anyone around us coughing and sneezing. Our entire family ate dinner together on September 10th.

My husband gets his Flu Shot every October. I have never had a flu shot in my life. Maybe simple "breathing" isn't quite enough to catch the flu from someone else? Moderator cut: Make sure we do not veer into a vaccine debate.
Thanks, I read your thread. What your daughter had sounds like what went thru my house which I thought was a stomach bug because it didn't last long. So weird that she tested positive for strain A which should be longer then that. Both grand kids had watery runs. My little grandson (age 5) always throws up when sick no matter what he has that involves coughing. He'll lay down at night, up it comes. His sister threw up one time.

You may not get the flu because your immune system was built up from having flu when younger. I don't know how else to explain it but I never got it either until recently but I have a weak immune system. My son (33) who installed DirecTV and now Comcast hasn't had the flu since the 90's

How contagious is Influenza A?
About a week. You're contagious from 1 day before you have any symptoms. You stay that way for 5 to 7 days after you start feeling sick. Kids may be able to spread the virus for even longer, until all of their symptoms fade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Timing (the topic of the thread):

If early, immunity may not last through season. Research is not definitive on this. If late, may get flu before getting shot.
My grandson got his at his August check up. I surely wouldn't have done it that early but my daughter gives whatever they say. Having said that, last year he didn't have insurance so went with my hub to the local free clinic between Halloween and November. My grandson has multiple illnesses, Chiari Malformation, tethered spinal chord and over all weak immune system. What I've noticed that last year when he did not have the flu vaccine early he was pretty healthy unlike normal years he comes down with every little sniffle and cough.

I guess now I have to consider getting him a booster since he got it so early. Will have to see when grand daughter had hers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
I got mine today. And since I'm over 65 they gave me the HD version. I went to a Rite Aid that really is out of the mainstream traffic and she told me that they already dispensed a Tamaflu, so it is around here. I had 2 major surgeries in the last year and I absolutely do not need to get the flu. I also got the Prevnar 13 pneumonia shot as well.

Now I just have to figure out if Medicare (or my supplement or Part D) is going to pay for the Shingrix. Although she did tell me that they have a wait list and every now and then they get in a package of 10 and they call the first 10 on the list. I wonder if the mfg company is managing to gear up.
I had shingles over my left eye August 2017 and do not want it again. Someone told me of the new vaccine so I have not gotten it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yes...it's all totally at random and completely unknowable! You don't think it has been STUDIED?

We may not know everything but we know enough to have some kind of impact. We can't prevent fatal car crashes every time but that doesn't mean we don't keep trying to construct cars better to increase safety. The viruses may be slightly different from year to year but it's not a completely different species with no overlap...there was an earlier post about the movement of viruses over time such that we learn from other parts of the world that get it first and we can use that information to prepare.

Here's something explaining booster doses - it may not apply perfectly to flu shots but it does to other vaccines:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booster_dose
The old shingles vaccine's effectiveness waned substantially after several years while the new Shingrix vaccine lasts much longer...I don't know exactly why (except maybe it's two doses work better to build the immune response)...and I don't much care - but I got it and I'm glad!
Would you happen to know how long it's been out? I have so many health issues I can't risk getting a new vaccine

Shingrix Vaccine

Old 10-06-2018, 05:53 AM

8,652 posts, read 4,786,033 times
This year I’m trying something different: I got a flu shot as soon as they were available (early September), and then I’m going to get another one in January. Reason being, the past 3 years I got a flu shot in early October, but like clockwork, got the flu in late October and late February.

And it’s just me: my husband and kids get flu shots at the same time, but they don’t get the flu; not even my oldest, who is more susceptible to respiratory infections.

Granted, I suppose I am exposed more because I work in a huge, metropolitan hospital; I’m not around patients and am secluded most of the day in a back-office cubicle, but I do pass through public areas to get to and from my office.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:26 AM

4,620 posts, read 2,607,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I got mine Tuesday. Here in Florida our snowbirds start arriving in October or as soon as the colder weather hits up north. They bring a lot of flu down with them so I usually get mine in October.

And for those who don't believe in flu shots, the one year I neglected to get one, I got the flu and didn't think anybody could feel that sick and still live. I never skipped another one. I always get it the day before I don't have to go anywhere as I run a low grade fever the next day and don't feel 100%. Today I feel fine.
Same for me around 10 years ago. Made it until April then caught it and ended up with a 105 fever. Knocked me out for days.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:29 AM

84,962 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My grandson got his at his August check up. I surely wouldn't have done it that early but my daughter gives whatever they say. Having said that, last year he didn't have insurance so went with my hub to the local free clinic between Halloween and November. My grandson has multiple illnesses, Chiari Malformation, tethered spinal chord and over all weak immune system. What I've noticed that last year when he did not have the flu vaccine early he was pretty healthy unlike normal years he comes down with every little sniffle and cough.

I guess now I have to consider getting him a booster since he got it so early. Will have to see when grand daughter had hers.

I had shingles over my left eye August 2017 and do not want it again. Someone told me of the new vaccine so I have not gotten it yet.

Would you happen to know how long it's been out? I have so many health issues I can't risk getting a new vaccine

Shingrix Vaccine
The American Academy of Pediatrics does not agree with this "later is better" approach.
https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-...2018-2019.aspx
"This season, the AAP recommends that pediatricians offer the injectable form of the vaccine to all children 6 months and older as soon as it becomes available, preferably by the end of October."

Some kids need two doses at least a month apart to be fully vaccinated, which is another reason for starting early. (Not saying your grandson needs two; if so they would have told you.)
"Early vaccination of children younger than age 9 years who need 2 doses of vaccine can be helpful in assuring routine second doses are given before the influenza season begins."
Ask the Experts about Influenza Vaccines - CDC experts answer Q&As

Boosters are NOT recommended.
https://www.health.com/cold-flu-sinu...econd-flu-shot, plus the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
This year Iím trying something different: I got a flu shot as soon as they were available (early September), and then Iím going to get another one in January. Reason being, the past 3 years I got a flu shot in early October, but like clockwork, got the flu in late October and late February.

And itís just me: my husband and kids get flu shots at the same time, but they donít get the flu; not even my oldest, who is more susceptible to respiratory infections.

Granted, I suppose I am exposed more because I work in a huge, metropolitan hospital; Iím not around patients and am secluded most of the day in a back-office cubicle, but I do pass through public areas to get to and from my office.
Boosters are not recommended. Your insurance will likely not pay for it.
https://www.health.com/cold-flu-sinu...econd-flu-shot
Ask the Experts about Influenza Vaccines - CDC experts answer Q&As

Old 10-06-2018, 06:08 PM

1,724 posts, read 700,406 times
I have been waiting until after I donate blood, which will be Tuesday. I'll be getting it after that.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:27 PM

7,649 posts, read 5,404,882 times
If you don't have your vaccination yet, GET IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-07-2018, 10:05 AM

7,081 posts, read 3,780,855 times
And someone please clear this up for one once and for all, since it seems there are seem knowledgeable people here... There IS no "stomach flu" or, if there are viruses affecting the digestive track, they are NOT the (respiratory illness known as) "flu." Vomiting and diarrhea are NOT symptomic of (respiratory) flu. Nine times out of ten, if not nine, that's some mild form of food poisoning, which is much more common than people think. Correct?

Old 10-07-2018, 10:30 AM

5,644 posts, read 3,194,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
And someone please clear this up for one once and for all, since it seems there are seem knowledgeable people here... There IS no "stomach flu" or, if there are viruses affecting the digestive track, they are NOT the (respiratory illness known as) "flu." Vomiting and diarrhea are NOT symptomic of (respiratory) flu. Nine times out of ten, if not nine, that's some mild form of food poisoning, which is much more common than people think. Correct?
Tell that to the doctor who tested my daughter and results came back for Influenza Type A. No respiratory symptoms at all, but fever, vomiting, and diarrhea. I thought it odd that she was not given Tamiflu. "You will vomit it". Maybe Tamiflu won't treat vomiting and diarrhea?

Sorry, but I've had flu countless times as a child and younger adult. Never had ONLY vomiting and diarrhea with flu. Norovirus? Yes. Food Poisoning? Yes. Been there, done that for both.

When her symptoms were not going away after a couple of days, I told her to get a 2nd Opinion, and another test (?). Cannot consult a different doctor?

Old 10-07-2018, 11:08 AM

84,962 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
In general, influenza does not cause vomiting and diarrhea only. Kids tend to vomit and have diarrhea with everything, but even so, the main flu symptoms of flu are cough, sometimes severe, and body aches.

As far as Jo's post above, yes, by all means get a second opinion. I haven't seen anyone saying not to.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:53 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,295,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
This year Iím trying something different: I got a flu shot as soon as they were available (early September), and then Iím going to get another one in January. Reason being, the past 3 years I got a flu shot in early October, but like clockwork, got the flu in late October and late February.

And itís just me: my husband and kids get flu shots at the same time, but they donít get the flu; not even my oldest, who is more susceptible to respiratory infections.

Granted, I suppose I am exposed more because I work in a huge, metropolitan hospital; Iím not around patients and am secluded most of the day in a back-office cubicle, but I do pass through public areas to get to and from my office.
Let us know how it goes!! I posted earlier that I know infectious disease doctors who get two a year, about 3-4 months apart. If they do it then it must be to maximize effectiveness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness