U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2018, 09:40 AM

4,657 posts, read 3,029,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I've never been conscious with propofol (four colonoscopies).

On the other hand, when they slapped me awake, I was rarin' to go; in fact able to drive home even though they told me no driving for 24 hours.

If the versed leaves me conscious throughout, it'll be a new experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
you have you just don't know it. i know it seems counterintuitive but it's just the term that is used. you can still protect your airway which is the main thing.

OK, well if the versed leaves me in the same state of sedation as the propofol, I'm good with it.

My idea of "conscious" sedation was what an anesthesiologist called "twilight sleep" that he administered for a major operation before administering full-blown, knock my ass out anesthesia. Definitely conscious in that "twilight sleep" zone and in love with the whole world.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 06:52 AM

491 posts, read 186,598 times
Versed does not take you to the same depth of anesthesia as Propofol does. It is sometimes mixed with Fentanyl to enhance the depth of conscious sedation. The emergence time from Propofol is faster since the drugs are metabolized differently.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:37 AM

9,160 posts, read 6,347,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I've never been conscious with propofol (four colonoscopies).

On the other hand, when they slapped me awake, I was rarin' to go; in fact able to drive home even though they told me no driving for 24 hours.

If the versed leaves me conscious throughout, it'll be a new experience.

I've had the same experience as you describe with Propofol and colonoscopies/EGDs, asleep but wake up feeling fine and ready to go. I had a designated driver with me ( DH) so I didn't drive home.

I have had several lumps removed from my breasts ( fibroadenomas-benign) over the years and think it was Versed I was given for these lumpectomies. I also got local anesthetic which numbed the area very well, so I wouldn't have felt any pain I don't think. The surgeon decided I needed the Versed because I was "nervous"- they discovered I was hyperventilating one time, and jiggling my foot another time- evidence of being nervous, I guess.

I do remember the details of those lumpectomies ( the Versed didn't make me forget them), but IIRC I was so relaxed I really didn't give a doodle what they did to me.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:52 AM

455 posts, read 313,161 times
I agree that folks are sedated way too much. I had an egd without sedation and survived haha. Dentists kept insisting I get sedated for wisdom tooth extraction which I thought was insane. Nice way for them to make a good ton of money though. Got em all out on lidocaine. Easy.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
I agree that folks are sedated way too much. I had an egd without sedation and survived haha. Dentists kept insisting I get sedated for wisdom tooth extraction which I thought was insane. Nice way for them to make a good ton of money though. Got em all out on lidocaine. Easy.

How in the world did you go through an unsedated EGD without gagging your guts out?

I know they say they spray the throat with an anesthetic spray so you don't feel the tube back there as much, but I can't think that completely surpresses the gag reflex.

I've had two EGDs within the last few months and possibly face another one in a few weeks (recurring and new stomach ulcers) and can't imagine going through them if I'm not knocked out. Fortunately the doc feels the same way.

I got my wisdom teeth out many years ago with just local anesthetic. Not too much fun as they were impacted, and hadn't grown all the way through (no room on my jaw for that), but I managed.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:24 AM

2,429 posts, read 787,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
How in the world did you go through an unsedated EGD without gagging your guts out?

I know they say they spray the throat with an anesthetic spray so you don't feel the tube back there as much, but I can't think that completely surpresses the gag reflex.

I've had two EGDs within the last few months and possibly face another one in a few weeks (recurring and new stomach ulcers) and can't imagine going through them if I'm not knocked out. Fortunately the doc feels the same way.

I got my wisdom teeth out many years ago with just local anesthetic. Not too much fun as they were impacted, and hadn't grown all the way through (no room on my jaw for that), but I managed.
I had an EGD w/o sedation as well as a TEE w/o sedation. The gag reflex is quickly overcome if the staff is skilled enough to properly numb your throat and the doctor is skilled enough to quickly insert the tube.

The TEE was done at my small local hospital where the nurses did not know how to properly numb the throat. They succeeded in numbing my tongue instead. The doctor did not know enough to just insert the tube quickly. Instead he would put it in part way them pull it out which caused me to gag. He thought he had to get my throat used to taking it. It was the 1st time any of them had done a TEE w/o sedation. Hopefully they learned the proper technique from their errors.

Despite their not knowing how to do it with an unsedated patient, once he finally inserted the tube it was fine. No gagging at all.

My EGD was done at a large teaching hospital where the nurses knew how to properly numb a throat and the doctor knew how to insert the tube quickly. He says he does it all the time in Africa when he volunteers for one of those doctors w/o borders things.

I have moved all of my care to that large teaching hospital.....

Please know that I am not trying to be brave or anything doing these things (and colonoscopies too) w/o sedation. Sedation makes me ill and so I find it preferable to have a few minutes of discomfort than to be sick and vomiting for the rest of the day. Adding anti-nausea drugs to the sedation does not help.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:34 AM

13,422 posts, read 7,152,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I had an EGD w/o sedation as well as a TEE w/o sedation. The gag reflex is quickly overcome if the staff is skilled enough to properly numb your throat and the doctor is skilled enough to quickly insert the tube.

The TEE was done at my small local hospital where the nurses did not know how to properly numb the throat. They succeeded in numbing my tongue instead. The doctor did not know enough to just insert the tube quickly. Instead he would put it in part way them pull it out which caused me to gag. He thought he had to get my throat used to taking it. It was the 1st time any of them had done a TEE w/o sedation. Hopefully they learned the proper technique from their errors.

Despite their not knowing how to do it with an unsedated patient, once he finally inserted the tube it was fine. No gagging at all.

My EGD was done at a large teaching hospital where the nurses knew how to properly numb a throat and the doctor knew how to insert the tube quickly. He says he does it all the time in Africa when he volunteers for one of those doctors w/o borders things.

I have moved all of my care to that large teaching hospital.....

Please know that I am not trying to be brave or anything doing these things (and colonoscopies too) w/o sedation. Sedation makes me ill and so I find it preferable to have a few minutes of discomfort than to be sick and vomiting for the rest of the day. Adding anti-nausea drugs to the sedation does not help.
Seems like for some procedures it would be a good idea to at least attempt them without sedation. Once you've been sedated the inclination is that it must be necessary for anyting in the future. Obviously not true in at least some cases....

Old 10-24-2018, 09:19 AM

41,054 posts, read 32,742,081 times
I just had outpatient surgery to remove a lipoma yesterday and was given Versed pre-op via the IV.

I feel awful today but I don't think it had anything to do with the Versed - I had general anesthesia after the Versed was given to me. They told me the Versed was to relax me, and that did work really well, though I remember going into the operating room, breathing several deep breaths, and for the first time ever, I also remember waking up in the OR after the surgery, and having the breathing tube removed, which was unpleasant. Also, I woke up in a negative, painful state which was also sort of surprising but I think it was because I woke up having the breathing tube removed.

I feel like a train ran over me today.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:00 AM

4,126 posts, read 1,727,255 times
Had versed too many times to count. Did just fine, every time.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I just had outpatient surgery to remove a lipoma yesterday and was given Versed pre-op via the IV.

I feel awful today but I don't think it had anything to do with the Versed - I had general anesthesia after the Versed was given to me. They told me the Versed was to relax me, and that did work really well, though I remember going into the operating room, breathing several deep breaths, and for the first time ever, I also remember waking up in the OR after the surgery, and having the breathing tube removed, which was unpleasant. Also, I woke up in a negative, painful state which was also sort of surprising but I think it was because I woke up having the breathing tube removed.

I feel like a train ran over me today.
Betcha that's because of the general anesthesia, along with the rest of the the "operative process", I don't think Versed gives you a hangover.

Glad it's behind you, though, and hopefully you have seen the last of that, or any other lipoma. You can cater to that run-over feeling today, figuring you deserve to do so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or