Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 09:40 AM

949 posts, read 571,918 times

Advertisements

I think the answer is yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 02:16 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
I think the answer is yes.
Take this for example
Quote:
In October 2012, a team of medical researchers led by Dr. David Jenkins (the creator of the glycemic index), decided to investigate eggs. Using ultrasound, they looked at the amount of plaque found in carotid arteries in the neck in over 1,000 people. Patients who ate more than three eggs a week had increased plaque compared to those who ate two or fewer eggs a week, even after other risks like smoking were factored in.
This tells us nothing. What else were they eating? Unless a test is controlled, it is doesn't tell us much and you can't have a controlled test on something like this unless you confine people for a period of time and have them only eat those foods you are testing for. Even that would be questionable because what they ate before the test started would also affect the outcome.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:00 PM

1,156 posts, read 940,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Good eggs are good, cheap commercial eggs not so much. Factory farmed chickens are a problem, pasture-raised is best.

"Free range" seems like a marketing spin at best when you look into it as well. I like eggs so I go with the free range/organic etc. but I doubt its as nice as it sounds.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:08 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
"Free range" seems like a marketing spin at best when you look into it as well. I like eggs so I go with the free range/organic etc. but I doubt its as nice as it sounds.
If you are going to believe what they put on the label, pasture-raised is the most humane. I knew I had read it somewhere which is the reason I mentioned it. I'm guessing the USDA comes up with these.

Quote:
Caged: Hens are confined to cages with a 67-square inch space each. They never see the light of day and consume a corn or soy diet. Over 90 percent of eggs in the U.S. come from hens that are kept in cages for their entire egg-laying lives.

Cage-Free: These ladies have more room than caged hens, since each is given less than 1 square foot. Still, they’re not entirely “free,” since they’re confined to barns and consume a corn or soy diet.

Free-Range: Allotted less than 2 square feet per hen, these animals have more space than their caged and cage-free peers, but they don’t get outdoors as much as you may think. Some seldom get to see the light of day and many eat a corn- or soy-based feed.

Pasture-Raised: These ladies are given at least 108 square feet each and consume some feed and lots of grass, bugs, worms and anything else they can find in the dirt. They tend to be let out of the barns early in the morning and called back in before nightfall.
https://certifiedhumane.org/article-...ee-range-eggs/

Old 10-06-2018, 03:42 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
LOL Don't go crazy trying to keep up. Eat your eggs--and everything else--in moderation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ua-WVg1SsA

Old 10-06-2018, 05:24 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,414,544 times
People are still being told they should only eat the whites of eggs, not the yolk. Stores where you can buy egg sandwiches always have the whites only option.

But now it has been believed for quite a while that avoiding egg yolks won't prevent heart disease. And that eating food containing cholesterol doesn't raise blood cholesterol.

So where is the public getting its outdated information?

Old 10-07-2018, 02:52 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,014,869 times
^ Don't eat the yolk? But that's like the prize at the bottom of a box of Cracker Jacks!

I love the yolk. I love eggs. I eat an egg almost every day. Delicious! (oh, and I don't listen to the 'noise' about healthy or unhealthy)

Old 10-07-2018, 10:39 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Eggs eggs the magical protein food.
Eat some weekly, they'll do you good.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:29 AM

947 posts, read 787,190 times
I'm 62 and have been eating 2 or 3 eggs per day for about 20 years. Should I make a will?

Old 10-09-2018, 03:19 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
It's all in the quantity. You can even eat "horrible" stuff like bacon, sausage, and hotdogs - but less is better than more. Once a week - why not? 3 times a day? No. Same with eggs - many things are less healthy but eggs need to be in combination with other foods - veggies, fruits, other proteins, fats, grains (sorry, not into the Paleo thing!).

As long as it's not poison, it's not a problem. Of course a "poison" is likely NOT a poison in tiny enough amounts and even water can become a "poison" if you drink a couple gallons in a short time.

People seem to love black and white, all or nothing answers when moderation is almost always the key. Guess that's a lot less drama than people want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness