U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 05:19 AM

69,142 posts, read 79,264,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
When I was little, I was told not to eat eggs. When I got older, I was told by health experts that eggs are actually good. But now, there are words on the street that eggs are bad and i should not consume any at all.

So, which is it?
The only thing that we can all agree on is: processed foods are a no/no or certainly need to be kept to a minimum. Even they won't hurt you once in awhile. Most of us have them occasionally. Eggs are low in fat and have food value, so I wouldn't worry about enjoying them.
If we all take these reports or studies too seriously, we will drive ourselves to our grave simply from worry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 05:26 AM

69,142 posts, read 79,264,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
"Free range" seems like a marketing spin at best when you look into it as well. I like eggs so I go with the free range/organic etc. but I doubt its as nice as it sounds.
so we all know or have been told it is "free range" or nothing. that is well and good, but many can not afford them. If you are a family, on a fixed income paying $3.00 or more a dozen pretty much would lead you to abandoned eggs altogether.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:03 AM

1,617 posts, read 616,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronsmith View Post
A close friend remarked to me recently that we can put a man on the moon, but we have absolutely no idea what to feed him! While that might be a bit of an overstatement, if you want to have fun one day, walk into a meeting of cholesterol experts discussing heart disease prevention and shout, “Eggs are bad for the heart!” The ensuing maelstrom would make the food fight in Animal House seem tame!

When I counsel patients in my cardiology practice,....etc etc .

Interesting, erudite post...makes one think you know what you're talking about...but-- what's the meaning of isolated, un-reproduced dietary studies without adequate control groups or completely defined, specified & quantified dietary histories?....not much better than anecdotal evidence, I'd say.

Many studies over the last 10 yrs or so using intra-arterial US have told us how bad hi cholesterol, etc diets are and improvements in plaque levels after dietary manipulation.... But what is the instrumental accuracy of these tests and what does a small change in plaque area or thickness mean when measured in a dynamically active, hollow tube that can instantaneously change diameter& wall thickness as it autoregulates? Are the caths repeated on subjects to obtain an average of data or are the procedures done only once "before & after?" Can we trust that data offered for self-serving purposes by the researchers? {"No problem-->No research grants"}

Personally I think cholesterol is basically controlled by genetics, but more importantly, is a "chronic phase reactant"-- it goes up in response to chronic inflammation. That would explain the weak, but positive correlation between chol & plaque without requiring it to be "a cause."

One can consistently find quantitative differences in levels of nutrients in grass-fed beef vs feed lot beef, or in eggs from caged birds vs free range, BUT-- the differences are so small as to be meaningless in the real world. Save your money if you don't raise your own. Don't waste it on organic.

You know, I don't recall ever seeing a cave painting depicting a broccoli or kale plant. ???

Old 10-10-2018, 12:54 PM

3,645 posts, read 6,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
When I was little, I was told not to eat eggs. When I got older, I was told by health experts that eggs are actually good. But now, there are words on the street that eggs are bad and i should not consume any at all.

So, which is it?
The REAL answer? Look at those pompous buffoons. 98% of the cholesterol argument is pure BS. Would you buy a used car from any of those folks?

"Experts" don't know their arse from their elbows, they are on a gravy train of tax-funded "studies" that last forever and beat hell out of working for a living.

"Word on the street." Really.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:29 PM

15,087 posts, read 15,143,364 times
Ate 6 of those babies today along with 12-ounces of uncured bacon.

I just go with what seems to go-down best.....eggs totally agree with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness