Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 11:45 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times

Advertisements

When I was little, I was told not to eat eggs. When I got older, I was told by health experts that eggs are actually good. But now, there are words on the street that eggs are bad and i should not consume any at all.

So, which is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 12:26 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Currently, eggs are good in moderation.

That could change.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:29 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Good eggs are good, cheap commercial eggs not so much. Factory farmed chickens are a problem, pasture-raised is best.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:37 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
What does your common sense tell you?
Eggs been nutritional food for thousands of years.
yes, ^^^ both are right. Everything is good in moderation and you don't really want mass produced eggs. Find a documentary what they are fed with. Seriously. Dried chicken poo with mixed in synthetic feeds etc.

I have chicken farm and eat skillet of eggs 4 mornings a week. My cholesterol is stellar. But I am in thegym every other morning too.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:47 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,016,445 times
I'm going with healthy, especially since I eat one every single day!

Old 10-04-2018, 12:52 PM

130,326 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Eggs are very healthy (imo) I eat them 3 or 4 times a week. Good quality food (again, imo).

Old 10-05-2018, 08:45 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
oh lawdy, I stopped reading the ridiculous new and trending crap eons ago. I love eggs, cooked in any form. Eat them at least once-every day

Old 10-05-2018, 08:51 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
As with anything else, I eat them in moderation.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-05-2018, 09:09 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
i should not consume any at all.

So, which is it?
IMO what people should stop consuming is bogus nutritional advice du jour that breathlessly exhorts us to eat or avoid foods that are either miraculously good (kale) or the creation of Satan (sugar). Just relax and enjoy life more.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:15 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronsmith View Post
A close friend remarked to me recently that we can put a man on the moon, but we have absolutely no idea what to feed him! While that might be a bit of an overstatement, if you want to have fun one day, walk into a meeting of cholesterol experts discussing heart disease prevention and shout, “Eggs are bad for the heart!” The ensuing maelstrom would make the food fight in Animal House seem tame!
When I counsel patients in my cardiology practice, I pass along the latest and most credible information on wellness and disease prevention. When it comes to egg consumption, I have a lot to say, most of it not-very-flattering.
And I'm not alone. In 2011, the US government published the Dietary Guidelines for Americans and included eggs among the "foods to reduce." Eating up to one egg a day (including those found in bread and baked goods) was considered acceptable for healthy folks, but in patients with heart issues or diabetes, the recommendation was to eat less than 0.4 ounces a day. (That's about ¼ of an egg.)
Not a glowing endorsement. Also, I imagine it's hard to scramble ¼ of an egg!
In October 2012, a team of medical researchers led by Dr. David Jenkins (the creator of the glycemic index), decided to investigate eggs. Using ultrasound, they looked at the amount of plaque found in carotid arteries in the neck in over 1,000 people. Patients who ate more than three eggs a week had increased plaque compared to those who ate two or fewer eggs a week, even after other risks like smoking were factored in.
In January of this year, Chinese researchers looked at 17 studies on eggs and health. They found no overall relationship between egg consumption and heart disease. However, among people with diabetes, those whose egg intake was highest had 1.5 times the risk of heart disease compares to those who ate the fewest eggs.
Finally, in the last few weeks, data from the Cleveland Clinic has made headlines around the world. It began with a report that red meat contains carnitine, which can be converted to a chemical in the blood called TMAO. Earlier research has shown that TMAO may lay down new plaque in arteries, leading to heart attack, stroke, and death. However, in order to convert carnitine from red meat into TMAO, it requires bacteria in the gut. Only omnivores created TMAO, the vegans studied did not, because they had different kinds of bacteria living in their bowels.
Last week, the Cleveland Clinic group presented more data, focusing on the effects of eating two hard-boiled eggs. Eggs are a rich source of choline, a nutrient in the B-complex family. Choline has many important roles in maintaining health including making membranes of cells, supporting low levels of homocysteine, and as a precursor for acetylcholine in the nerves.
However, in the new Cleveland study, eating two hard-boiled eggs led to a rise in TMAO in the blood within minutes, just like eating red meat. This was again found to be dependent on the intestinal bacteria found in the average omnivore.
Finally, they looked at over 4,000 patients who'd had a heart catheterization and the higher the TMAO level, the greater the chance of heart attack, stroke, or dying over follow-up for three years.
So can we eat eggs?
Eliminating eggs over concern about the way they're produced is reason enough for many to never eat an egg. It's a cruel and dirty industry. (Check out the documentary Vegucated for more info about the concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs), which house 280 million hens in filthy conditions.) The environmental impact of raising so many hens on air, water and soil quality is also alarming.
Ultimately, the choice of whether or not to eat an egg is up to you, but I would not advise it to my diabetic and heart patients. If I may make a recommendation to the yoga crowd, the best use of your three-minute egg timer is to use it as you hold a plank pose while steaming some kale for lunch.
All of those studies you mention focus on only one thing, red meat, eggs etc. Am I to assume they only ate those things. What else did they eat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness