U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 08:33 AM

1,024 posts, read 388,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
About 90% of all people test positive for HPV.

Very very very few people get cancer.

Know the facts before making a decision.

Here's a fact: this vaccine can prevent those very very very few people from getting cancer. My children are important enough to me that they got the vaccine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
One more vaccine being pushed by the pro vaccine crowd.

You know why? BECAUSE THEY WORK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The vast majority of people will not only get HPV but also clear HPV via their immune system without any symptoms. Odds are the poster you are talking to has had it and so have you and so have I.

And then some of us will get cancer. I wish there was a way we could prevent that from happening.

Quote:
Very true. HPV contributes to head, neck, throat, anal and cervical cancer. Other factors that play a significant role are smoking, alcohol use, hormonal birth control, unprotected sex of any kind, having a compromised immune system, lack of regular Pap smears, etc.

And we can prevent those from happening. That's kind of a big deal.

Quote:
Of course lack of Pap smears does not cause HPV. Failure to get regular Pap smears which can detect early changes to cervical cells prior to becoming cancerous can lead to cervical cancer though.

I got regular pap smears. Didn't detect mine until it was already happening. Plus I'm not a smoker, rarely drink, was not on birth control. I was pregnant. They excised a chunk out of my cervix that was large enough that my pregnancy went to high-risk--my doctors weren't sure my cervix would hold. That was a very scary 9 months.

Quote:
You do know that according to the CDC, nearly every sexually active adult in the US has been exposed to HPV. That is millions and millions and millions of people. If you only look at women the number of adult women is around 126 million. And most dont even know it or have any consequences. So why are we vaccinating people most of whom have been exposed to the disease with no ill effect? Is this a drug in search of a problem.

So, you realize that over time, with vaccination, those numbers will change, right? If we're vaccinating our youth population to prevent HPV in those who haven't been exposed, we'll see fewer people being infected. When one is not infected with HPV, one can't get cancer caused by HPV. Is that hard to grasp?

Old 10-10-2018, 10:12 AM

85,047 posts, read 98,999,163 times
^^I agree with the above, but want to make a comment. It's not "very few" people who get HPV caused cancers. There are 13,000 cases of HPV caused cervical cancer and 18,000 cases of oropharyngeal cancer diagnosed every year. That is not "few".

There is no reason for others (not you) to be so adamantly opposed to this vaccine.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:04 AM

3,313 posts, read 2,359,609 times
I don't understand the purpose of vaccinating older people if the vaccine is preventative and 80-90% of adults already have HPV in their system.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:16 AM

85,047 posts, read 98,999,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I don't understand the purpose of vaccinating older people if the vaccine is preventative and 80-90% of adults already have HPV in their system.
There are 9 strains of HPV virus in the vaccine. You can be infected with more than one strain. The vaccine will give protection against strains you haven't been infected with.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:01 PM

15,208 posts, read 16,093,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
About 90% of all people test positive for HPV.

Very very very few people get cancer.

Know the facts before making a decision.
Even if you don't get cancer, the treatment for genital warts is painful, time-consuming, and expensive.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
As has been stated, MOST people (a GREAT preponderance >80%) who are exposed to HPV, "get" HPV, the disease or condition resolves on its own. The small percent who go on to get cancers must be due to immune system or other variables.

The vaccine is not without risks.
It's not just about cancer. Genital warts are painful and expensive to treat. But yeah, cancer is a concern, too.

My daughter had the series of shots with no ill effects.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Very true. HPV contributes to head, neck, throat, anal and cervical cancer. Other factors that play a significant role are smoking, alcohol use, hormonal birth control, unprotected sex of any kind, having a compromised immune system, lack of regular Pap smears, etc.
Neither hormonal birth control nor lack of regular pap smears cause head, neck, throat, anal, or cervical cancer.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:30 PM

8,547 posts, read 5,283,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Neither hormonal birth control nor lack of regular pap smears cause head, neck, throat, anal, or cervical cancer.
Lack of regular paps can absolutely increase the chances of one getting cervical cancer. Whatís typically caught with regular paps is PRE cancer, and if caught in this stage it can be treated so that it does not become cancer.

Paps donít catch head, neck or throat or anal cancers.

Here is that the American Cancer Association has to say about hormonal birth control:

ďTaking birth control pills for 5 or more years might make you more likely to get cervical cancer. The longer you use them, the higher your risk.Ē

Birth Control Pills can be a cofactor in the development of Cervical Cancer and that cofactor could help explain why some peopleís bodies fight off HPV not heir own while others do not. Estrogen plays a role in certain cancers and could be why Birth Control Pills up the risk.

Iím not saying that HPV is not a major factor because it is. Just noting things that increase oneís risk and noting that everyone does not have the same risk when it comes to Cervical Cancer, or even head, neck, throat cancers because there are factors that increase the risk in all of them such as smoking and alcohol.

Most people will get HPV at some point or another but most will also clear it on their own. Cervical Cancer is a slow growing cancer and is highly treatable when caught in the pre cancer stage. This is why regular pap screening are so important. And the reason why regular pap screenings have lowered the cervical cancer rate dramatically.

I donít know why people want to argue that co factors donít play a role. One can be 100% in favor of the vaccine and also acknowledge the role that paps have played as well as acknowledge what is known about co-factors and how risk varies from person to person.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Lack of regular paps can absolutely increase the chances of one getting cervical cancer. Whatís typically caught with regular paps is PRE cancer, and if caught in this stage it can be treated so that it does not become cancer.

Paps donít catch head, neck or throat or anal cancers.

Here is that the American Cancer Association has to say about hormonal birth control:

ďTaking birth control pills for 5 or more years might make you more likely to get cervical cancer. The longer you use them, the higher your risk.Ē

Birth Control Pills can be a cofactor in the development of Cervical Cancer and that cofactor could help explain why some peopleís bodies fight off HPV not heir own while others do not. Estrogen plays a role in certain cancers and could be why Birth Control Pills up the risk.

Iím not saying that HPV is not a major factor because it is. Just noting things that increase oneís risk and noting that everyone does not have the same risk when it comes to Cervical Cancer, or even head, neck, throat cancers because there are factors that increase the risk in all of them such as smoking and alcohol.

Most people will get HPV at some point or another but most will also clear it on their own. Cervical Cancer is a slow growing cancer and is highly treatable when caught in the pre cancer stage. This is why regular pap screening are so important. And the reason why regular pap screenings have lowered the cervical cancer rate dramatically.

I donít know why people want to argue that co factors donít play a role. One can be 100% in favor of the vaccine and also acknowledge the role that paps have played as well as acknowledge what is known about co-factors and how risk varies from person to person.
All I'm saying is that a lack of regular pap smears doesn't CAUSE cervical cancer. And yes, one can be in favor of the vaccine and also acknowledge other risk factors. What doesn't make sense to me is rejecting the notion that the vaccine is helpful in reducing the number of cases of genital warts as well as cancer.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
One more vaccine being pushed by the pro vaccine crowd.
Proud member of the pro-vaccine crowd here! Thanks to vaccines, I've never had polio, measles, whooping cough, diptheria, smallpox, shingles, tetanus, yellow fever, or shingles. Haven't had the flu since about 2000 when I did get it and missed four days of work, because I've gotten a shot every year since then.

And I was treated for warts on my cervix in the late 90s. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

My daughter has had all the recommended vaccinations too. She was late getting a flu vaccine last year and did get the flu, causing her to miss about 4 days of important and expensive college classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness